Handgunhunt

Now I need a Scope

Posted By: yow25

Now I need a Scope - 12/18/2006 5:56 PM

I now need a scope for my sbh in 44 mag. What do you guys reccommend? My budget is shot, however must have good scope.
Thanks
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Now I need a Scope - 12/18/2006 7:35 PM

Something in a 2x fixed should do fine. You can spend however much you want on one. Simmons has 'em for $90, Weaver for $140, Burris for $160. There's been some discussion here on NCStar, most seem to be satisfied with theirs. They run about $50 on up. A quality red dot might be another option, money is about the same as a good 2x.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Now I need a Scope - 12/18/2006 9:41 PM

I really like the fixed power Weaver's (2x and 4x) for on my Ruger Hunter model guns. If you ask nicely, I have several fixed 4X scopes that could be on the market.
Posted By: katcher

Re: Now I need a Scope - 12/18/2006 11:56 PM

I agree with Dan B.....A good, low fixed power would be ideal. I have a couple if your interested...3X Tasco and 2X Loopy.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Now I need a Scope - 12/19/2006 1:42 AM

2X or 4X scope, Burris, Leupold or Bushnell Elite.
Posted By: JDJHNTR

Re: Now I need a Scope - 12/19/2006 3:25 AM

For my type of hunting.......I put 4x Leupolds on my .41,44 and 45LC's. To me the 2x scopes almost seem to make things apear smaller than they really are? I have bought a few used on Ebay or Gunbroker for $150. If you prefer new but your budget is kinda tight.......I have to agree with Dan on the Weavers! Used them on a couple Redhawks a few years back and was happy with them aswell. I'm not much on the red dots myself. Never liked the idea of having to worry about batteries! Here's my line up for fixed power scopes in order of preference.......

1.Leupold
2.Nikon
3.Weaver
4.Burris

Now if we are talking variable powers.........Burris and thats it! PERIOD!!! Keep in mind this is all just one mans opinion. Good luck.........
Posted By: hntrjohn

Re: Now I need a Scope - 12/19/2006 3:37 AM

No one has mentioned Nikon. I have several Nikon optics from 2x handgun to variable rifle and shotgun, rangefinder, spotting scope. I have to say that I think Nikon makes a good quality optic and I have Never had to return one to the factory unlike Leupold. I also have many Leupold optics but I have had to return them for broken crosshairs, elevation/windage adjustments, variable power rings locked up (however Leupold does back the product 100%) cant complain about the service Ive had.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Now I need a Scope - 12/19/2006 3:57 AM

For the .44 mag my preference is a good red dot. At .44 mag range I would rather have a huge field of view & quick target aquisition than magnification. I have a 30 mm "UltraDot 4" on my mod .29 S&W. It has held up to 3+ yrs of 320 gr loads @ 1325-1350, & all types of Alaskan weather along with a couple of pretty good knocks. The "4" part of the name stands for a choice of 4 dot sizes at the flip of a switch. As Memory serves they are 4, 8, 12, & 16 moa dots. I leave it on the 8 for hunting usually, & 10 brightness settings handle any light conditions. Battery life is amazing.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums