Handgunhunt

Will barrel porting damage scope?

Posted By: PatrickStickler

Will barrel porting damage scope? - 01/01/2007 4:45 PM

Hi,

I'm planning on mounting a scope on my Taurus Tracker 627, but it has a ported barrel and am wondering if the porting will damage a scope if mounted either over or too close to the porting.

???

Thanks,

Patrick
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Will barrel porting damage scope? - 01/01/2007 5:06 PM

If the scope extends over/beyond the ports you will get a li'l sumtin' on it, depending on the angle of the vents. If it is near/just shy of the ports you may get some hot stuff on the lens that could cause significant damage, depending on how close it is, and again, the angle of the vents. If you got the rings, get a 1" piece of dowel rod, paint it white, fix it in the rings where the scope will sit and shoot a few cylinders. The paint will tell the tale. FWIW, Rod.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Will barrel porting damage scope? - 01/02/2007 1:08 AM

Quote:

If the scope extends over/beyond the ports you will get a li'l sumtin' on it, depending on the angle of the vents. If it is near/just shy of the ports you may get some hot stuff on the lens that could cause significant damage, depending on how close it is, and again, the angle of the vents. If you got the rings, get a 1" piece of dowel rod, paint it white, fix it in the rings where the scope will sit and shoot a few cylinders. The paint will tell the tale. FWIW, Rod.

Great idea!!
Posted By: PatrickStickler

Re: Will barrel porting damage scope? - 01/02/2007 8:08 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Posted By: Carolina Mtn Man

Re: Will barrel porting damage scope? - 01/11/2007 11:17 PM

I've just bought the S&W 460 XVR with the large ported end. I was thinking of putting a leupold VX-III 2.5-8x32 scope on it. After reading your posts, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this combination and any suggestions on placement of the scope to prevent problems. Thanks
Posted By: hangunnr

Re: Will barrel porting damage scope? - 01/12/2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

I've just bought the S&W 460 XVR ..... ..... I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this combination and any suggestions on placement of the scope to prevent problems. Thanks

I have a XVR with a Burris 2-7 on top and have had no problems with scope damage. The scope sits far enough back to be out of danger.

hangunnr

Re: Will barrel porting damage scope? - 01/12/2007 12:29 AM

Thanks for the info. It looks like it should work fine. Do you like your Burris. Is it a 28mm? How is its light gathering ability. Do you know how it compares with the Leupold? I feel the major drawback to handgun scopes is their light gathering ability. A few extra minutes at dusk can be the difference between the spike and the monster.
Posted By: hntrjohn

Re: Will barrel porting damage scope? - 01/12/2007 1:23 AM

I had my 44mag Hunter ported by magnaport and have a 2x leupold on it and have had no problems at all regarding damage to the scope. Had a 2.5x8 leupold on my performance 500 and also no problems. You should be fine--go shoot and have fun.

Re: Will barrel porting damage scope? - 01/12/2007 1:45 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I will stay with the Leupold. I've had good results from them in the past.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums