Handgunhunt

what power to use

Posted By: Bigjohn

what power to use - 01/03/2007 12:52 AM

I am setting up a 14" contender in .223 what power scope would you guys reccommend. 2-7 or the Burris 3-12? Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Posted By: katcher

Re: what power to use - 01/03/2007 1:25 AM

You can't beat the Burris 3 x 12 for long range work at the bench or in the field. I have one on my 15" 218 Bee barrel from MGM and really like it.

John (katcher)
Posted By: Gary

Re: what power to use - 01/03/2007 1:49 AM

No question the 3x12.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: what power to use - 01/03/2007 2:47 AM

Quote:

I am setting up a 14" contender in .223 what power scope would you guys reccommend. 2-7 or the Burris 3-12? Thanks for sharing your thoughts

What "power"?? I thought you meant like the "force". hehehe.

But for scopes...Burris 3-12x32 is the ONLY way to go.
Posted By: ranger140892

Re: what power to use - 01/03/2007 3:24 AM

Yeah, I'm ordering a couple of Burris 3-12's once Midway gets em back in. Been using Leupold 4x's for years but my ability to use the "force" has diminished so I need a more powerful scope now. Can't bring myself or "Houshold 6" to let me spend the bucks on a Leupold 2.5-8x with custom matte finish.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: what power to use - 01/03/2007 1:49 PM

3 to 12 Burris would be my choice if staying with a long eye relife scope.

I have a 16X rifle scope on my 223 barrel and really like it for the long range.

Posted By: TChunter

Re: what power to use - 01/03/2007 2:33 PM

What are those Ground hogs?

Man I wish we had some prarie dogs or something around here like that to shoot.

I always liked watching their little heads explode on TV.

Re: what power to use - 01/03/2007 7:03 PM

Yup, they are groundhogs. I call them charlies. Considered varmints here in NY, so there is no season. The local farmers like it when I control the numbers.
Posted By: TChunter

Re: what power to use - 01/03/2007 9:24 PM

Yeah I have seen yall refer to "charlies" on here. Where does that come from? LOL

I wish we had em here...Im sure farmers dont, but I do!

Re: what power to use - 01/03/2007 10:13 PM

Wood-chuck, drop the wood and change chuck to charlie.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: what power to use - 01/03/2007 10:19 PM

......or.....i like to call em "whistle pigs"

i am going to pick up a mueller 4.5x14x40 apv rifle scope for my 14" .223. it will replace an ol cheap, wore out simmons 4x12 rifle scope.

yep...if ler......3x12 burris for a .223. although i do like a riflescope setup ocasionally, and a .223 is a reasonable candidate with some care taken.
Posted By: Bigjohn

Re: what power to use - 01/04/2007 12:38 AM

so how does the rifle scope work on a handgun with it's lower eye relief???
Posted By: Bullelk Hunter

Re: what power to use - 01/04/2007 1:41 AM

It really depends on the game. My Simmons 4x12 rifle scope works fine on my 221 Fireball and 222 Remington, but I dare and encourage anyone to try a rifle scope of any magnification on my 16" 416 Rigby! Overall, I like the EER 2x7 Leuies and Bushnells and 3x9 and 3x12 Burris on my real hunting handguns. I have yet to figure a way to 1)carry my bench into the wilderness, and 2) use a 223 or like caliber for deer and Elk at long range.
Posted By: hntrjohn

Re: what power to use - 01/04/2007 2:53 AM

Quote:

Yeah I have seen yall refer to "charlies" on here. Where does that come from? LOL

"CHARLIE" was a name the VC or Viet-Cong were given in Nam and because they were Tunnel dwellers Im assuming thats why the Groundhogs are referred to as "Charlies" The term "Charlie" was actually shortened from the Militaries alpha call letters of Victor Charlie meaning VC or viet-cong. It was later shortened to just "Charlie". Just some FYI.

Re: what power to use - 01/04/2007 3:31 AM

Quote:

"CHARLIE" was a name the VC or Viet-Cong were given in Nam and because they were Tunnel dwellers Im assuming thats why the Groundhogs are referred to as "Charlies" The term "Charlie" was actually shortened from the Militaries alpha call letters of Victor Charlie meaning VC or viet-cong. It was later shortened to just "Charlie". Just some FYI.

Yeah, I'm the sniper and they are tunnel rats that need extermination. It does fit well.

Quote:

so how does the rifle scope work on a handgun with it's lower eye relief???

It works great with the low recoil cartridges. On my 218 Bee the recoil barely moves the gun. The 221 Fire Ball jumps a little more. The 223 with 50gr pills at 3050 fps jumps almost enough for the scope to touch your eyebrow when you have full field of view. I would not try a rifle scope on anything that kicks more than a 223, unless you move back from the scope. I have shot a a Savage striker in 270 WSM with a rifle scope. You get the crosshairs on target then slowly pull your head back trying to keep the crosshairs on target as the FOV closes into a small little circle. It works for target shooting but would never work for hunting.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums