Handgunhunt

Belted magnum cases in the encore?

Posted By: KYODE

Belted magnum cases in the encore? - 01/24/2004 5:32 AM

good idea or not? i've never reloaded belted cases. are they worth the trouble? is brass life reasonable?
would you go to a wildcat to avoid them?

would a custom chamber for a belted case be much of an advantage?
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Belted magnum cases in the encore? - 01/25/2004 3:47 AM

I only load for one belted round and its in a Kleingunther K-15 rifle...a semi-custom factory rifle. It's chambered in .270 Weatherby Magnum...extremely accurate!! Never had a problem loading for this cartridge even with the belt...just size enough to touch the shoulder. Not sure that there would be any other concerns with the Encore.
Posted By: drdoolittle_1

Re: Belted magnum cases in the encore? - 01/26/2004 2:18 AM

Kyode,
Only belted case I reload is the 300 Win Mag in Rem 700. Just size the case as you do for the Contender with Mike's headspace indicater and not much else will be different. Sizing like you have been will give you good case life. Only difference is seats on belt instead of rim. I bought a Wilson Headspace Gauge years ago that is adjustable...works great!
Posted By: Cisco

Re: Belted magnum cases in the encore? - 01/26/2004 6:28 AM

KYODE,

I load 338, 7STW, and 300 Win for Encore rifles.

The only problem that I have ever had is sometimes the belt wants to catch on the extractor while placing the round in the chamber. Have to hold down slightly on the extractor.

Only time I can see it being a problem would be if you had just shot and were trying to speed load to shoot again.

JD
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Belted magnum cases in the encore? - 01/26/2004 2:04 PM

shouldn't need a second shot anyway, right?

thanks fellers, and keep em comin.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums