Handgunhunt

States that don't allow handgun hunting?

Posted By: Gary

States that don't allow handgun hunting? - 04/09/2007 11:04 PM

Hey quick question - are you all aware of any states that don't allow handgun hunting?
Posted By: hntrjohn

Re: States that don't allow handgun hunting? - 04/10/2007 2:08 AM

Gary--If you have some time you can use this site and check the regulations state by state. I have found it very helpful checking about handgun use and regulations regarding caliber and barrel length and all the other politically correct crap.

http://www.nraila.org/Hunting/FishAndGame.aspx
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: States that don't allow handgun hunting? - 04/10/2007 2:10 AM

Quote:

.....politically correct crap.

A man after my own heart!!!
Posted By: LDHunter

Re: States that don't allow handgun hunting? - 04/10/2007 3:35 AM

Gary,

I think some states won't let you possess a handgun without some kind of permit if you're a non-resident but I'm not aware of any that ban handgun hunting per se.

Of course I may be full of it too... <grin>

I hope to learn something from this thread too.

$bob$
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: States that don't allow handgun hunting? - 04/10/2007 9:59 AM

Gary

What I would find useful is not so much a thread but a dedicated page listing all the countries around the world that allow handgun hunting, the type of game available and what regulations are involved. Many of us dream of taking that special holiday.

Re: States that don't allow handgun hunting? - 04/10/2007 12:20 PM

I had someone as me the question and I didn't know if there were any states that don't allow it. I couldn't come up with any off the top of my head but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Listing the countries that allow it can be rather tricky because other countries laws are not as openly available as those in the US and they tend to change frequently but I'll see what I can do.
Posted By: bigbore442001

Re: States that don't allow handgun hunting? - 04/10/2007 11:23 PM

The only state that I know of that does not allow handgun hunting of any kind is the one my fiance lives in. Rhode Island . Another one that I think is would be New Jersey.

A few states like Massachusetts and Connecticut allow small game and varmints to be hunted , but no deer.Massachusetts allows handguns for black bear. Some states like New York require a permit which is only available to residents. Unless you are a resident and live in a county that is more reasonanle with giving out permits, it is pretty much off limits.

Re: States that don't allow handgun hunting? - 04/11/2007 12:04 AM

You know I think you're right about NJ. I seem to remember someone telling me that they had to go to NY to hunt with a handgun. Sounds like a good reason to move to me.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: States that don't allow handgun hunting? - 04/11/2007 1:20 AM

Handgun hunting is legal in most of NY. But only for residents. You have to have a permit to possess a handgun in NY and NY will not reciprocate permits with any other state.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums