Handgunhunt

Muleys on the brain

Posted By: wapitirod

Muleys on the brain - 09/27/2007 5:29 AM

well tomorrow (Thursday) I'll take the 410 out for a final shake down and then friday morning it is off to Eastern Oregon to chase muleys. They had a bad fire in the unit i drew for but hopefully we can find some critters, this would be my first muley with a handgun. I'm taking the 410GNR with a bushnell red dot as my primary weapon and my iron sighted 475 as a secondary, the 410 I'm shooting 170gr sierras at just under 2000fps and the 475 i'm running 375gr cp hard cast at 1550, so I should be in business, the bonus is that if I tag out on deer I can keep hunting for bear, cougar and coyote with my handguns where as rifle hunters can't. Your not allowed to have a centerfire rifle in your possesion during controlled hunts unless you have an unused deer or elk tag depending on the season. If I score I'll see if I can post a picture or two.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Muleys on the brain - 09/27/2007 5:51 AM

Good luck!
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Muleys on the brain - 09/27/2007 11:44 AM

Sure wish I was going, too. I've got cabin fever. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Muleys on the brain - 09/27/2007 2:29 PM

Good luck Rod!
I'll look forward to your report. Where you going to be (in the neighborhood of????)? I used to wander a bit of that country.

Re: Muleys on the brain - 09/27/2007 7:31 PM

I'll be out near Burns about 150 miles east of Bend.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Muleys on the brain - 09/28/2007 11:54 PM

GOOD LUCK ROD!! Enjoy the time in the outdoors.

Re: Muleys on the brain - 10/09/2007 1:16 AM

well just got back from the hills, it was snowing and cold just the way I like it. I got my buck a 2 1/2 year old 2x3 with brow tines, I missed a big boy and didn't get off a shot at another, unfortunately optics problems with my 410GNR put my 300Rum in action again. I hunted the first 4 days with my iron sighted 475 but couldn't get within range of a buck, I did however take care of a charging (I'm not kidding) badger. I made a perfect shot at 30yds with him coming in and hit him about 3" behind the head in the spine. I was glassing a deer herd when I saw him and I guess I must have been too close to his hole because he had a serious attitude problem but I fixed that for him and now his hide is off being tanned. We had a good trip though with a nice 4x4, 3x3, my wifes 26" wide forky with brow tines, my 3x2, a small forky and last and least was my wifes uncles spike, so we went 6 for 6 and now it's time to get ready for elk and I hope to have the 410 ready to go.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Muleys on the brain - 10/09/2007 2:54 AM

Congratulations! It sounds like you had a great trip!
Posted By: katcher

Re: Muleys on the brain - 10/10/2007 12:45 PM

Way too much fun!!!! Glad all made it back safe and sound!

John
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums