Handgunhunt

41 mag vs a big pig

Posted By: Crew Dawg

41 mag vs a big pig - 07/30/2008 4:19 AM

I had the opertunity to put my 41 mag loads to the test today. I have moved to a farm since i got home. I rent a house on a 1.5 lot. I have permission to hunt the entire 1000+ acres by my self. The land owners son was working a Dozer in the Pines and jumped some hogs. Now in the lovely state of Georgia hogs on private property are free game any time. He called me up and told me were he was. So i chucked the dogs in the truck and headed over. I found the tracks and set Lil'Bit an Rebel my Catahoulas' loose to run'm. I kept Buddy an Cloe my catch dogs with me. They are still young and i don't want them jumping too big a hog. We bayed one up under a creek bank about 30 minutes later. It was a big sow so, i decided to shoot her instead of catching. I've been loading 265gr Cast performance over 20gr H110. I hit her through the shoulders at 15yards and she dropped like a rock. Complete pass through and all organs touched turned to black mush. It wasnt instant death but she locked up like she got hit with 10,000 volts. We went on to catch 2 75-80 pound hogs to put in a pin to fatten up. The dogs looked like old hands, each holding an ear or cheek while i grabbed the back legs and threw them. I realized that Buddy, the male. Has way more guts than brains. When we got back to the barn we put the sow on the scales. She went a full 200 pounds. We dressed her out and found that the bullet had busted both shoulders. I honestly had expected it to flatten out and stay in her going as fast as it was. I have some 300gr XTPs i want to try out of my 44 next. Well, it aint Keith. But there ya go.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 07/30/2008 4:28 AM

Good Job!

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 07/30/2008 4:49 AM

Thanks. He has a 2000 pound Angus bull i would really love to try it on. That is the most contrary animal i ever met. Plus, thats probably as close i would ever get to a Cape Buffalo hunt.
Posted By: pab1

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 07/30/2008 4:52 AM

Congratulations! It sounds like you had a good time!

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 07/30/2008 5:17 AM

Yep, i did. I would like to get a big boar. But our main consurne is keeping the population down. Hogs reproduce as fast as rats. I read a report in G.O.N magazine that a biologist submited. Hogs are sexualy mature at six months and are capable of 2 litters a year. They usualy have 6-10 piglets and ruffly half are female. He concluded that starting with just 2 hogs and a 50% servival rate in off spring. That in 6 years you would have over 30,000 hogs. Thats why we take more females. Deer tend to move out when the hog population gets too big.
Posted By: bisleyfan44

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 07/30/2008 2:35 PM

Great story. I love hearing stories involving the 41 mag and what it can do; I really like that round. I hope you have alot more adventures on your new place. Good luck.
Posted By: rupe

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 07/30/2008 8:20 PM

Great story and it ended with a BANG!
Posted By: Tigger

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 07/31/2008 6:53 PM

NICE Hunt!!! You need to get some pictures next time.
\:\)

Hogs can be really destructive critters.
Posted By: katcher

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 08/01/2008 12:48 PM

Here piggy piggy.....BOOM
\:D

Breakfast is ready!!!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 08/01/2008 1:05 PM

Boar + 41mag = a great day....
Posted By: Mikewin

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 08/01/2008 1:09 PM

Will really appreciate a report on the 300gr XTP on big porkies.

On this topic: I take it pig hunting is an all-year affair in much of the US? Or only GA? Even here, where hunting restrictions generally are much tougher than in much of the US, wild boars are hunted 24/7. Only exception is a sow with piglets.
Posted By: BINGO

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 08/01/2008 1:18 PM

I'm curious what gun you use? I've used a 4 5/8" Black Hawk 41 in the past with the same load almost. It's best group is @5" at 25 yards. I discovered the twist won't handle the heavies. It did work on a couple of deer but it was very close. Love the 41 & hogs. The only time I get to hunt them is if I visit a friend in Texas.
Posted By: contender85

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 08/01/2008 2:24 PM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Boar + 41mag = a great day....

Cant argue with that..........sure would be nice to see some pics.

Congrats!

Mark
Posted By: rupe

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 08/01/2008 5:28 PM

In Oregon pigs are like coyotes, Shoot them anytime and no limit. The bad thing is that we don't have very many here yet. They are on thier way and we should start seeing a lot more on public lands in the next couple of years. Then it's time for some hog hunting.
Posted By: bisleyfan44

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 08/01/2008 6:50 PM

Originally Posted By: BINGO
I discovered the twist won't handle the heavies.

For some reason Ruger uses a slow 18 or 20" twist in their 41s. That's OK for the bullets in the 210/220 range.Something on the order of 14" would be much better for heavier bullets. I believe this is the twist Freedom Arms uses. Every gun could be an exception, though.
Posted By: FLS

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 08/02/2008 8:22 PM

The 250 CPB's shoot well out of my Ruger 41's, a 6.5 Blackhawk and a Bisley Hunter. They shoot well out of a 6" 657 as well.

Re: 41 mag vs a big pig - 08/04/2008 5:47 AM

I'm using the 4 5/8" barrel Blackhawk. The 250gr does shoot tighter but the 265gr shoots good enough, i can put a box of 20 in 4" square at 25yds. We are running these hogs down and i shoot from a few feet, if we shoot. I need horse power more than pin point accuracy. The 210gr XTP is my deer bullet. It will stack them under 2" at 50 off sand bangs. Not quit that good off hand. But we manage to kill a lot of skeet during practice.

Mikewin - Yep, we get to nail'em pretty much were ever when ever. We can take sows but we only take ones with out young. I know, i am a bunny hugger. By the way i visited your country years ago, on my way to a military field exercise in Norway. You guys have some of the greatest sea food and beer i have ever had. Beautiful country too. Sorry but, Hottest chick per square mile has to go to Prague,Romania. Though they did seem more interested in our female hydro troop. But hey, i am cool with that. Oh yea, and i am a Raspberry Mocha man myself.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums