Handgunhunt

raging bull vs. Ruger SBH

Posted By: burton302

raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/22/2008 7:44 PM

I recently inherited several revolvers from my Grandfather, many of them S&W's one being a 29-3. Shooting got me interested in handgun hunting for whitetail. Because of the sentimental value I don't want to modify it. So I'm looking into either a SBH 7.5 barrel w/scope mounts or a Raging Bull with a 8 3/8 ported and lugged barrel. Now I know of the Ruger's quality but I like some of the features and price of the Taurus. Is the Taurus a vastly inferior gun? Thanks
Posted By: Rick

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/22/2008 7:54 PM

Welcome to Handgun hunt. It is a great place to spend time. There is a lot of experience on this board.
Why would you not use the S&W? The sights are great for inside of 50 yards. I would not try anything longer than that with open sights but that is just me. Nothing has to be modified on the gun. The cartridge has the power. I guess I am just sentimental when it comes to hunting and fishing gear that belonged to my granddad. I feel a tighter bond when using his gear.
To answer your original question. For me it would be the SBH. That is due to the grip size and reach to the trigger.
You wil get different answers on the quality of the Taurus.
Either way good luck and great hunting.
Rick
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/22/2008 7:54 PM

Go for the Ruger! No comparison in quality!
Posted By: Slimpickens Ca.

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/22/2008 8:13 PM

Had a taurus, it was junk from the start...

Have a SBHH 7 1/2, I will never part with.

Also welcome burton302.
Posted By: larry223

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/22/2008 8:36 PM

i have to go along with the others go with the ruger shot
some taurus and dont like them ruger is by far better.
and welcome to the site
larry
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/22/2008 8:37 PM

Welcome to HHM. For one you must handle each to see which feels better in the hand. I did years ago and the Taurus just didn't feel right. I went with the Ruger. This was just when the Taurus came out and there was not much data on them, but now after many distraught customer comments you couldn't even get me to hold one to begin with. YMMV.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/22/2008 8:56 PM

Same as above the Taurus is junk, you'll be much happier with a Ruger or S&W product.
Posted By: pter1020k

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/22/2008 9:50 PM

take the s&w to the range see what you can do with it.s&w makes a good gun could be ready to go no mod needed.think of how proud you would be taking a deer with granddad's gun.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/22/2008 11:25 PM

Welcome to HHM burton302!!

I had one taurus, not the raging bull series. I had real problems with it. I went round and round with taurus for over a year, in the end I was told to bad so sad. So if you ask me customer satisfaction is in the negative numbers.
\:\(

I have only had one problem with a Ruger (out of several) and it was fixed in no time flat. My vote is for the Ruger.
Posted By: dorson

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/22/2008 11:46 PM

A taurus is a rusted out sagging old ford car around here.Go for the ruger or shoot the smith.
dorson
Posted By: muskybite

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/23/2008 10:01 AM

I have both in .44, only recently bought a bisley grip SBH. I would go with an SBH because they are built much better and more refined in my experience. Resale value on the taurus is poor.

That said, I have not had any problems with the raging bull once I wore it in (action was very rough at first, enough that I debated sending it in). The raging bull is accurate for me, single action is crisp and lighter than the stock SBH at least with mine and the grip is very comfortable for me. Don't care for the porting due to the noise and will never buy a ported gun again. As others have mentioned, seems numerous people have had problems with them.

If you go with a taurus I strongly recommend handling it before purchasing (I bought mine online). Ruger has a redhawk with the scope mounts too.

Posted By: Gary

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/23/2008 3:30 PM

I would go for the Ruger SBH Hunter.
Posted By: pab1

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/23/2008 4:44 PM

+1 for the Ruger!
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/23/2008 6:48 PM

Motion made and seconded. I question for Vote!

All in favor?
Posted By: Tigger

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/23/2008 8:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TCMan

All in favor?

AYE!

LOL<LOL
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/23/2008 9:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Tigger
 Originally Posted By: TCMan

All in favor?

AYE!

LOL<LOL

RUGER
Posted By: 500WE

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/23/2008 10:10 PM

Shoot the Smith. Buy and shoot a Ruger. Forget the Taurus.
Posted By: 48panhead

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/24/2008 1:32 AM

Definitely Ruger......
Posted By: magman

Re: raging bull vs. Ruger SBH - 11/24/2008 5:03 PM

I had a Taurus RB in 454. I returned it 3 times to "get fixed". Finally traded it off for a T/C. I'd either use the 29 or invest in a Ruger.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums