Handgunhunt

Sound off on Virginia regulations

Posted By: Gary

Sound off on Virginia regulations - 11/25/2008 9:05 PM

The VA Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries is having an open public comment period on hunting regs. This is our opportunity to let them know what we want. There are already some negative comments out there about hunting with ML handguns so lets not let that be the only voice they hear.

Visit the link below and click on the links to the discussion forums. You will have to register to leave comments but please do so.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulations/issues/

Items to propose.

1. To be able to hunt big game with handguns (including muzzleloading handguns) in any county that allows hunting with muzzleloading rifles. They are firing the same projectiles we do in many cases yet 50% of the state is off-limits to handgun hunters while the same areas are hunted with ML rifles.

2. To be able to hunt big game with handguns during the early and late muzzleloading deer seasons. Everything else has a special season why not handgun hunting.

Let me know if you have any problems figuring out how to propose new regulations or leave comments.

I should add that last year I addressed the board in person and this will not be the first time they have heard about such changes. Let's put some pressure on them to recognize our sport.
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 11/25/2008 11:12 PM

Thanks alot Gary!!! I have been waiting for this to come up with the Game and Inland Fisheries Dept. I don't get some of their logic. I have wanted to get a ML handgun but they don't allow it for Big Game here. I am on it!
Posted By: SCOTTx88

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 11/26/2008 12:11 AM

Don't forget Sunday Hunting.

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 11/26/2008 1:29 AM

Oh yes I made comments about that issue (Sunday hunting) too. How many of you VA boys would be interested in going to a board meeting in Richmond to speak about this in the not too distant future?
Posted By: SCOTTx88

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 11/26/2008 2:10 AM

I could go.
Posted By: rupe

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 11/26/2008 2:32 AM

Go Get them Va. Guys, give'um Hell! rupe
Posted By: Montanan

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 11/26/2008 7:57 AM

Give them commissioners heck, and we wish you all the luck getting those regs changed.
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 11/26/2008 11:42 AM

I would love to Gary, but my time is limited.
Posted By: bobhanson1

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 12/01/2008 2:28 AM

And when you convince VA to open Sunday hunting, how about heading south and helping the NC folks out??? Despite a huge study that basically said Sunday hunting would help draw new and retain current hunters, they still refuse to legalize it...coming from MN where a lot of the seasons were 2 day (Sat/Sun) affairs, it just baffles me that they don't allow it as any body that has a job is pretty much limited to Sat. only hunting.

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 12/01/2008 1:21 PM

Not being able to hunt on Sunday is the last bastion of the blue laws. I think it will change some day but who knows when.
Posted By: DAHLTAILS

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 12/02/2008 12:42 AM

That is a good idea. I wish WI would make the muzzleloader season a muzzleloader and handgun season, plus a week after gun season is muzzleloader season plus two differnt weekends are anterless or a gun hunts. Most of the muzzleloaders, at leat to me are easier to shoot than most handguns(no offence on anyone) As it is they extend gun season 2 weekends past the regular 9 day season that cuts into bowhunting. I like that extra time for handgunning, but I miss the full late bow season.
Posted By: Raf

Re: Sound off on Virginia regulations - 12/07/2008 6:58 PM

I would be able to go to Richmond. I would be glad to hunt with my handguns in ML season or during any season. I also believe that the hundgun and ML weapons are in the same category. I hunt in Ilse of Wight and ML and shotgun only during gun season. I would love to hunt with my handguns there.

Gary please keep us posted on this subject.
;\)
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums