Handgunhunt

Boots....what are you wearing??

Posted By: Dan B.

Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 12:30 PM

I used to be a Herman Survivor boot guy...rather inexpensive and fit the bill for my general purpose style of hunting. A couple years ago I was in Cabela's bargain cave and spotted a pair of Meindl Boots...I had read about these...made in Germany. They were a heavily constructed, well insulated boot designed for Alpine style hunting and suitable for mountain climbing...they were regularly priced at $300...
. But someone had bought them and returned w/o ever wearing off of their household carpet...I got them for $130. After three years of hard hunting, these things have NEVER let me down. I love that the tongue is stitched the whole way to the top. There are a lot speed rings to allow ample sinching for a good ankle/calf fit and there is even one in the middle of the tongue to keep it centered on your leg and won't allow it to creep down.

Two weeks ago when I was in Cabela's they had two pairs of a lighter weight Meindl hunting boot but they were one size too big. I just got back from another trip to Harrisburg...which means another trip to Cabela's and the size 13's were gone...BUT...they had a pair of size 12 B/C style boot. List price was over $200 and I snagged them for under $120. They also have the same lacing style as the heavier boots.

The boots are rated by letter for the uses they were designed...B/C is for "trekking boot for ambitious trekking, easy and moderate alpine use and fixed rope routes"...remember...the are made in Germny and the owners book in written in German and loosely translated to English. A pretty hard core hiking boot IMO. My other boots are "D"..."the ultimate high mountain boot, absolutely reliable for extreme us in rugger terrain. Suitable for crampons".

I said that I'd buy every pair I found in the bargain cave because they are just that awesome of a boot...so far I've done just that!!
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 1:17 PM

I wear 2 pair of Vasque boots for local and no-snow hunting,and 13" Schnee rubber bottom with liners for deep snow hunting. Some bass pro shop Red Heads for soggy swampy stuff.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 2:24 PM

I've been wearing the Schnee Outfitter models for about 15 years now. I like to walk and they are a great walking boot. I have one sized to fit snug over light socks and another pair one size large for those days when a nice wool sock is a must. I also have a pair of LaCrosse's for those bitter cold days and ice fishing.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 2:26 PM

just a pair of herman surviviors with 600gram thinsolate from walmart here. they do what lil i do, and are "ok".
several yrs ago i had a pair of rocky's(+goretex) that were just great. i wore them thru the most of my heavy hunting days and that was several yrs long. you could wade a creek with those suckers! the next replacement pair was lucky to get thru a season before the sole was plum of of em.
Posted By: huntkng

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 4:10 PM

Danner boots for me. They were my first moderately expensive boots. I hated to give up the cash but three years later I love em'.

Bill in OR
Posted By: KRal

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 5:03 PM

I'm a fan of Rocky's with Gore-tex and Thinsulate insulation. They're extremly light weight and comfortable. I own three different styles..KRal
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 5:11 PM

my everyday boots are Double H and my hunting boots are Rocky.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 5:34 PM

LaCrosse Alpha Burly Sport and 1200 grammers for treestand duty; Browning's for trekking
Posted By: 7STDUBBERU

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 5:49 PM

Danners
Posted By: hunlee

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 6:35 PM

Hunlee allway buy boot from Wally World!!!!!Good selection and good price and this is very good for Hunlee!!!!!!Most boot in Wally World made rite in China!!!!!

hunlee
Posted By: Slimpickens Ca.

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 7:27 PM

Danner for me also.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 10:26 PM

Model 6223 9" Rocky's with Gore-tex and Thinsulate. In the winter I put a pair of Tingly rubbers on them and that keeps the salt off. The road salt will eat a pair of boots in no time.
\:\(

For wet hunting I have the Red-Head rubber boots with camo print and 1,000 grams thinsulate. With a good wool sock I can walk for hours in them.
Posted By: shortstick

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/26/2008 11:08 PM

Rocky Lynx 800's
Posted By: larry223

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/27/2008 12:03 AM

lacrosse burly here
larry
Posted By: Is that a cub

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/27/2008 12:50 AM

Ive been wearing the same pair of Cabela's 12" outfitter series boots for the last 9 years. I cant wear em out!!! My dad's burned through 2 pairs of danners and just bought the same boots I have. They are super comfortable and indistructable!!!
Posted By: BINGO

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/27/2008 2:09 AM

LL Bean boots for mud & not so bad terrain. Had them since 1981. Danners non insulated for rugged terrain. Irish Setters insulated rugged terrain. I got both in 1999 still going strong. If it's real cold I have original USMC issue micky mouse boots. USMC & Goodyear molded into the heel & sole. I've had 3 pair of Rockys. All 3 leaked & the soles didn't last. Wouldn't takem if they were free.
Posted By: Revolverlution

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/27/2008 4:03 AM

Schnee or Kenetrek can't go wrong with either one...best boots made in my opinion. I have had my Schnee pac-boots for 14 years and they are still in awesome shape. Keep the water out and feet warm. Can't ask for much else than that.
Posted By: 357 Herrett

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/27/2008 7:17 AM

Irish setter w/200 gram thinsulate & gortex for early season. Late season LaCrosse Ice King insulated for temps of minus 80 in the Arctic. Great boot for ice fishing too.
Posted By: rickiesrevenge

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/27/2008 7:44 AM

For hunting I wear Meindls. My duty boots are Danners. I used to wear them for hunting too but they don't compare to the Meindls in the steep stuff here in Alaska.
Posted By: Revolverlution

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/27/2008 2:49 PM

Leverman...I LOVE my Ice Kings...great late season stand boot. I hear that Sportmans Guide has some great deals on Mickey Mouse boots as well...never been issued versions.
Posted By: Rick

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/27/2008 3:32 PM

I have been wearing the same pair of Rocky Bearclaws since 1996. I wore them almost every winter weekend for three straight years. Since my time hunting has decline recently I do not wear them as much. Pheasant hunting is tough on boots due to the area the birds inhabit. Late season with snow and ice are killers on boots. These have held up. I have a non-insulatedd pair that I wear during the warmer weather. These are great boots as well. Not sure I would wear these on a mountain hunt because the ankle support is not what I want when climbing and walking in that terrain.
Posted By: 357 Herrett

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/28/2008 1:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Revolverlution
Leverman...I LOVE my Ice Kings...great late season stand boot. I hear that Sportmans Guide has some great deals on Mickey Mouse boots as well...never been issued versions.

Revolverlution:

LaCrosse Ice Kings have allowed me to stay out hunting more times than I can count.

Last December the hunting temperatures reached a daily high of 20 degrees with snow on the ground from Thanksgiving till late March 2008.
Posted By: sscoyote

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/28/2008 5:43 AM

I've had 2 different pairs of Wolverines and 1 pair of heavy insulated Remington's that were better than anything else i've ever used.
Posted By: bare-hunter

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/28/2008 10:29 PM

danners.I wear them everyday at work and they last a year when most boot would last 6 to 9 months.
Posted By: frankt

Re: Boots....what are you wearing?? - 11/29/2008 2:05 AM

I am a lacrosse burly guy also. I wear them for Turkey hunting, bow season and deer season until it gets around freezing and then I switch to the 1200 gr models.
If it gets colder, I add chemical toe warmers.

I have always heard the Mendls were great boots but I don't think I have ever seen an insulated model in the catalog. I will have to check out the website.

No Cabela's close to Georgia. They were supposed to build one a few hours north but the deal fell through.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums