Handgunhunt

Dallas Safari Club Convention

Posted By: Gary

Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/10/2009 3:02 AM

I'm at the DSC convention tomorrow till about 2:00 PM if any of you are going look me up. I'll be in and around Bobby Hansen Safaris booth in aisle 700.

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/11/2009 9:56 PM

I'm back from Texas where I briefly stopped by the DSC convention on Friday and early Saturday. They have always put on a great show and this year was again excellent. The economy was high on the list of topics but personally I found the hunting stories from the past year much more interesting and make me dream of Africa again.

Also of interest is the 470 Turnbull cartridge which you can read about in The Big Bore Chronicles. It's a big-bore rimmed cartridge and should work very well in the Encore.

Hornady has some interesting new products out including some light 45 Colt ammo using Leverevolution bullets, a runout gauge with the ability to correct runout in loaded ammo, and a new automated case prep center.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/11/2009 10:43 PM

You must be lonely...you are the only replies on your own thread. That's just sad...
;\)
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/11/2009 10:44 PM

LOL
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/11/2009 11:15 PM

That is just too much!LOL

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/11/2009 11:20 PM

Well I just couldn't wait any longer given the Internet connection you're using.

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/11/2009 11:38 PM

ouch
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/12/2009 3:57 AM

LOL<LOL<LOL Slap him again Gary!!
\:\)

I have read about the Hornady runout guage. Looks interesting. I wonder how strong it is? If it could "push" a factory round that was tight? The Bersin runout correction tool is really stout, but the price is too.
Posted By: bigdaddy0442

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/12/2009 4:59 AM

The DSC Convention was one of the best we have had so far. If you ever wanted to go on an African Safari, this was a chance of a lifetime. Many of the hunts were going at great bargain prices. It will be bigger than ever next year when we move to the Dallas Convention Center.

For those of you that have not met Gary, I had the opportunity and he is really a stand-up guy with the right attitude about handgun hunting. Keep up the good work Gary!

Bigdaddy0442
Mike
Posted By: bowmag

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/12/2009 2:49 PM

Gary, it was good to chat with you at the show. Thanks for the info.
Those Turnbulls are something else. I think that's about the purtiest rifle I've ever seen.

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/12/2009 5:17 PM

Doug does fabulous work and he's actually the one who does the case hardened finish for the T/C custom shop.

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/12/2009 11:34 PM

he also does work for Bowen and Reeder. I watched Noslers tv show the other day and he was using his own 1886 in 475 Turnbull with iron sights for Yukon moose and he took a big one. For me after single action revolvers my next favorite are the leverguns.
Posted By: Mikewin

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/14/2009 7:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary

Hornady has some interesting new products out including some light 45 Colt ammo using Leverevolution bullets, a runout gauge with the ability to correct runout in loaded ammo, and a new automated case prep center.

Gary,

did you get to know if or when Hornady will release the Leverevolution bullet line for handloading? I'm interested in testing them but would prefer to do it with my own loads.
Posted By: SCOTTx88

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/14/2009 8:00 PM

Here ya go,Gary's smiling face.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/14/2009 8:22 PM

Wow...that's an old pic!! Half that hair on top is missing now.
Posted By: Russell

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/14/2009 8:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikewin
 Originally Posted By: Gary

Gary,

did you get to know if or when Hornady will release the Leverevolution bullet line for handloading? I'm interested in testing them but would prefer to do it with my own loads.

They're in my Hornady 2009 catelog, Item # 45215 for the 200gr and #45201 for the 250gr.

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/14/2009 8:46 PM

Strange. I can't find them on the Hornady webpage. I was looking for the .44mag leverevolution bullets for handloading in particular.

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/14/2009 9:37 PM

They are listed in the print catalog as FTX bullets

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/14/2009 10:28 PM

OK, I've found one: the web catalogue lists the .44 FTX/Leverevolution bullet as #4305, in the rifle section. It's a 265 grainer. The .357 is nowhere to be found...
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/14/2009 11:49 PM

I asked our wholesaler if he had any yet, NOPE. I think I heard him say some time in laste spring, but you know how secondhand info is. It would be nice to try some well in advance of next falls hunting season.
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Dallas Safari Club Convention - 01/16/2009 1:26 AM

Ed, Wish we were going, would like to visit with you and Deena. Karen and I are headed to Vegas for the Grand Slam/OVIS Convention. The SCI convention has gotten so big, I can't see everything in three days.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums