Handgunhunt

Handgun opinions wanted

Posted By: arrowsmith

Handgun opinions wanted - 01/20/2009 11:23 PM

My wife and I are mainly bowhunters but my wife would like to have a handgun.

Primarily, it would be something that she could enjoy shooting but also something that could be used for protection or bear hunting. We were thinking about a revolver.

Does anyone have recommendations? Ideally it would be nice to have a gun that is not large in size.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 12:25 AM

I would say definitely go with the revolver and past that it depends on her comfort level with guns and recoil. You would be best served by something in the 44 or 45 cal range but then your looking at more recoil and larger size which takes you back to the 357. If she can handle the size I would say a Smith and Wesson 629 as it is a little less bulky than the Super Redhawk and in the 44 she could plink with 44 special loads and carry the magnum loads while in the woods. If you go the other route I would suggest the Smith 686 in 357 and do the same, practice with the 38's and if you don't reload pick up some 180gr Winchester Partition Golds for the hunting trips. If you like single actions then the choice would be the Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 2:17 AM

Don't overlook the 41 Magnum. Smith 41's & 44's are N-frame and fairly large but the Blackhawk can be had in 41 and it's quite small and packable for the power it delivers. Of course Freedom Arms makes a great one in their model 97.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 2:45 AM

I have twin Blackhawks w/ 4-5/8" barrels that are chambered in .357 Magnum and .41 Magnum. The .41 is loaded stiff with 210gr cast bullets. Very nice package w/ manageable recoil and lots more punch than the .357 Magnum.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 2:48 AM

Another vote for the .41 Blackhawk with 4-5/8" barrel. Switch out the hammer for a SBH version right off, it will be easier for her to operate. The 357 is available in some small packages but really lacks the oomph for bear protection, IMO.
Posted By: Montanan

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 3:53 AM

Me likes my S&W 629 alot.
Posted By: rupe

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 4:09 AM

.44 or .45 revolver. 4" barrel for the reasons already stated. Even a .357mag would take a med. sized Black Bear. But if a big one comes along I would want a .44mag.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 4:51 AM

My vote is for the 4" Ruger Redhawk.Packable,practicle,and very shootable.The 41 isn't a bad choice either.

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 4:58 AM

I thought about mentioning the Smith 657 but factory ammo isn't as readily available. I was sticking with smith because most new shooters I know take to them faster than the Redhawk or single actions. I also like the fact that the smith doesn't seem as bulky as the Redhawk but then again if this whas going to be a straight out hunting gun I'd go with the Redhawk because of it's ability to handle stouter loads than the Smith.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 4:58 AM

One more vote for the 4" Redhawk!
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 5:27 AM

Originally Posted By: pab1
One more vote for the 4" Redhawk!

YUP, make mine one too.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 12:15 PM

The most important thing is to take her with you when you buy the gun and let her make the final decision. The Redhawk is a great gun but it may be too heavy for her as might the S&W N-frames.
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 1:46 PM

I went with a 629. I have nothing against the Redhawk. I just like the feel of the Smith more. I also don't have the need to stoke up for the bigger loads. Whitetail is about it for me.

I would also take into consideration as to what she could handle. If your wife is already a bowhunter, she is already trained for shot placement. That to me is most important.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 5:46 PM

My vote would be for the S/S 44 Mag.S&W in the mountain gun.It's not to heavy but enough weight to help with recoil.You can shot 44 special for practice.The 41 Mag. is great,but if you want light loads to practice with you will need to reloud.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/21/2009 5:52 PM

oops i mean you will need to reload.
Posted By: arrowsmith

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/22/2009 5:01 PM

Thanks much, you guys have been very helpful.

The 41 definitely sounds like a good choice, how difficult would it be to buy ammo?

I have also learned the 357 and 44 can shoot 38 and 44 special ammo for lighter duty shooting, does the 41 also have a light equivalent?

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/22/2009 6:11 PM

41 ammo is pretty much going to only be available at a decent sporting goods or gun store and really the only way to get lighter loads for it is to reload.
Posted By: Ed P 6989

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/22/2009 11:32 PM

You might want to take a look at the Taurus Tracker in the .41. I have the Taurus snuby as my backup gun, and I'm very happy with it. The Tracker will give you adjusable sights and a longer barrel which is ported to help reduce felt recoil. It might fit your wife's hand better, and for deer it will handle nearly all of the commercials loads available.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/23/2009 12:55 AM

Quote:
Taurus, and I'm very happy

So, you're one of the lucky ones! Good for you, a few of the fellers on this board haven't been so fortunate with them.

The .41 is still a great option however.

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/23/2009 1:02 AM

I'd really strongly recommend not buying a Taurus, no offense to those that have had good luck but you'll be alot better off in the long run to spend a little more and get alot more quality and alot better customer service from Ruger or Smith & Wesson. Taurus and Rossi are basicly knock offs of the smith without the quality.
Posted By: WolfTrap

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/23/2009 5:40 PM

ArrowSmith,
Having trained Wife and two daughters the use of firearms for personal defense for 30 plus years has led me to believe the only type of firearm would be a revolver in the non-wrist busting 38 Special/357 Magnum (Cheap to practice) class.
Why?
Easy....when and if there's a situation when deadly force is necessary, the only thing that should be going through their minds is to aim and row the cylinder!
Using a simi-auto/ single shot firearm would just get in the way for a split second life and death response.
Good luck,
WolfTrap
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/23/2009 6:50 PM

Taurus should advertise there guns to be used as an optional hammer! There is no comparison.
Posted By: briang1621

Re: Handgun opinions wanted - 01/23/2009 8:38 PM

In my opinion you are asking for
"something you could enjoy shooting"
and
"something to protect from bears"

Usually women enjoy shooting smaller calibers, <40cal
and bears usually take larger calibers 44magnum and larger, depending on the bear.

So you have a contradiction in your needs.
This usually requires two different types of guns.

Hence, my recommendation buy two guns, one big, one small.
Plus you can claim the bigger one yourself.
Thanks
Brian
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums