Handgunhunt

Gonna change my dog's name...long post

Posted By: Dan B.

Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 2:24 AM

My damn dog Tucker! argh!!

He's a lab/chow mix, jet black from nose to tail, weighs in at 65# and is four yrs old. He's a very well mannered dog, listens wonderful, and is great with the kids.

Well...three weeks ago we were going to get a COLD streak...sub-zero for days on end. Tucker is nomally an outside dog but only tied when he's alone...other than that he's by my side. At nights he sleeps in a cage in the garage, which is attached to the house and is heated. In the AM I let him out to do his business, which he will do on command (try teaching a dog that trick!!) and then let him back in due to the super cold temps. After that I let him free range in the house.

Later this certain day around 1PM, Wifey leave for a doc appt and puts Tucker in the garage. I get back from work about 5PM, let Tucker out, check the woodburner and go about my chores with Tucker along side. Later that night I find a box of rat poison tore apart in the garage. Adding up the signs, it apprears that Tucker got into the box while we were away.

Now...the box was unopened, wrapped in a plastic bag and up on my workbench...not exactly an easy "target" for his curiosity. Turns out the dip$hit ate the entire box which contained 8-1oz blocks. So...after some hurried calls to the vet, he called in a 'script for Vitamin-K. Four days worth of pills rang me for nearly $200. The following vet appt and another week of shots was nearly another $200 and the third week of shots was a mesely $70.

After day three of me giving him shots, he got wise and it turned into a game with him and I got tired of it real quick! The kids got a kick out of it though. Through some trial and error, I figure out that the best way to self administer shots to your dog is to coat his food in oil and crack a few eggs over the top (good thing I also have chickens to supply the eggs!!). Jab him in the ass while he's eating that mix and he'll never even flinch!

So...why am I going to change his name? I'm thinking "Leupold" would be fitting since that is what I could have bought instead of medicating his arse!!
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 3:28 AM

LOL<LOL<LOL That's funny right there!! Dan B as a vet tech.

Yup, mouse and rat poison have cumidin or a similar blood thinner in them. Very potent for the small critters, but usually the bigger ones have to eat alot of it to be seriously affected. Vitamin K helps thicken the blood and reverse the thinning.

Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 4:35 AM

I feel your pain Dan, after about 6 months and several thousands of dollars and dozens of hours of doctoring my wifes horse which foundered she up and died of a stroke about a month ago. I could have bought lots of things for what I had tied up in that knot head.

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 4:40 AM

I know a little over $400 is not much when doctoring pets...especially when compared to horses...but it's still irritating!

After this episode I'm starting to like my chickens more and more. At least if they make me mad I can eat'um w/o folks thinkin' I'm really nuts!

Originally Posted By: wapitirod
.....knot head.

I hear folks referring to horses with that term quite a bit.
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 4:43 AM

Glad your dogs ok Dan. The things we do for are pets!

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 4:44 AM

I agree completely and I was in know way making light of 400.00, I told my wife a 22 shell is alot cheaper but unfortunately I still have a little bit of a heart left and couldn't do it.
Posted By: N.E.S.

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 5:27 AM

I got one of them dumb dogs to, he is a welsh corgi, will eat any thing
He got in the trash and eat a bunch of paper towels my wife used to cook bacon, stopped him up from front to back, 600.00 for surgery to clean him out

At least two contender barrels!

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 5:47 AM

I worked with a guy once that had a basset hound that was only about 2 or 3 years old and it developed back problems, this guy and his wife didn't have kids so it was the child. He spent 15K and took it to UC Davis to have some special back surgery. That guy was a little different but it's amazing what we do for animals.
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 10:45 AM

That is a pretty good story Dan. Thank God the ole boy wasn't laid out from it.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 12:09 PM

got to love our pets! try sleeping with a cocker spanial with it head on your pillow.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 1:30 PM

I am thinking you need to name him Remington or Striker. That way every time you look at him you think of the nice bolt action you could be in the middle of rebuilding! LOL

Oh… yes… also remember how Mr. Remington met his demise hunting. Remember that the next time you take Phideox out.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 1:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TCMan
I am thinking you need to name him Remington or Striker. That way every time you look at him you think of the nice bolt action you could be in the middle of rebuilding! LOL

LOL

Hey Contender.... ... fetch boy.
Posted By: slickdj96

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 2:29 PM

Glad he's ok. Reminds me of the time my 130# bullmastiff ate a pillow from the couch. The next day I'm outside pulling the pillow stuffing out of his butt. I can only imagine what my neighbors were thinking lol.
Posted By: SCOTTx88

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 2:31 PM

How about XP for a nickname, Glad he's OK.
Posted By: Rupe/PA

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 5:05 PM

Hey Dan - What you need is a "Beegle Dawg" !!!....Mac eats anything and everything (even hats) and it goes straight thru w/o even a hic-cup. Glad things worked out. Too bad about your next build, but you still have what-ever-his-name is.

Chuck
Posted By: popeanyoung

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 5:32 PM

For some reason country folks get really attached to their dogs. If my Beagle got sick and needed treatment I would probly sell the house if I had to.

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/01/2009 7:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Rupe/PA
Hey Dan - What you need is a "Beegle Dawg" !!!....Mac eats anything and everything (even hats)........

Thanks for the reminder...I'll keep it on my head when I stop by tomorrow!
Posted By: HoggHunter

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/02/2009 4:40 AM

glad to hearthat everything worked out... we raise labs and our female ate the whole thing... she was acting real lethargic for a all that i found was the end flap from the unopened box... when we checked gher heart rate, it sounded like an M60. when we took her to the vet, he went home and got his dog for to be the donor for a blood transfusion, yup coould a been a NEW ENCORE but you do what ya gotta do to keep the family together..
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/02/2009 3:40 PM

Danny, you know you love em....
Posted By: DAHLTAILS

Re: Gonna change my dog's name...long post - 02/02/2009 11:28 PM

I have a 13 year old quarter horse mare. This last spring she started to loose all of her hair. I had a vet out and he said that the screwy weather (cold-warm-cold-warm) put her into shed mode a second time and that she would loose all of her hair but the mane and tail and it would grow back in a couple of weeks. It grew back like he said but the vet charged me $240 just to look at her and say that. Vets don't come cheep,but thats the price we have to pay to have pets. Glad your dog got better.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums