Handgunhunt

Handgun Magazines

Posted By: MIHunter

Handgun Magazines - 09/03/2009 11:34 PM

Which handgun magazine, other than Handgun Hunter Magazine and The Sixgunner has the most articles and information on a regular basis about hunting with handguns? Is there one worth subscribing to or is it better to preview them at the newstand before buying.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Handgun Magazines - 09/04/2009 2:23 AM

I've subscribed at one time or another to most of the "handgun" rags, and none dedicated a whole lot of print to hunting. If handgun "hunting" is all you really want to read about you're probably better off scouting the newstands.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Handgun Magazines - 09/04/2009 4:22 AM

actually the only magazine I regualarly see at least one article per issue on handgun hunting is Bear Hunter Magazine. I can't remember any of the issues I've had not having at least one article either tech or story line on handguns. I think it was petersons hunting that used to have fairly regular articles but not anymore.
Posted By: Is that a cub

Re: Handgun Magazines - 09/04/2009 3:22 PM

J.D. Jones has an article in American Handgunner thats usually pretty good. If you like handguns in general the mag is one of the best IMHO. Just hope you like 1911's !
Posted By: Mikewin

Re: Handgun Magazines - 09/04/2009 3:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Is that a cub
J.D. Jones has an article in American Handgunner thats usually pretty good. If you like handguns in general the mag is one of the best IMHO. Just hope you like 1911's !

x2.

John Taffin and others do occasionally run hunting articles in AH. They're normally good but average compared to this site...
Posted By: Gary

Re: Handgun Magazines - 09/04/2009 6:35 PM

JD's and John's regular stuff is just a column of about 500 words in AH.
Posted By: Mikewin

Re: Handgun Magazines - 09/04/2009 10:03 PM

Gary, I'm perfectly aware of that but the question was related to which magazines that provide handgun hunting articles regularly at all. The lack of coverage of handgun hunting is appalling, generally speaking. That's why I like this site so much.
Posted By: bisleyfan44

Re: Handgun Magazines - 09/05/2009 7:27 PM

Taffin's articles seem to be more about the guns themselves rather than hunting with them, except on a rare occasion. Also, I have written to AH in the past stating that I do not consider JD's column much of a hunting column either. Once in awhile it is, but mostly it's a bunch of babble about this or that new round that he's chambering in the Contender. Alot of fluff with not much meat at all.

I've worked 19 years now for a major magazine distributor and I've read just about every newsstand magazine on guns/hunting there is or was. There's nothing for the handgun hunter out there other than the occasional article here and there.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums