Handgunhunt

another treestand handgunning question

Posted By: cottonstalk

another treestand handgunning question - 09/20/2009 1:47 PM

How high do most of you guys go?
Posted By: riggeruwz

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/20/2009 3:37 PM

For me about 20ft. is good. Kind of depends on the area I'm hunting. Sometimes 20 gets you into the treetops and you can't see anything. Sometimes if you're on a hillside 20 will get you at eye level with something coming down the hill. Sometimes I just like to sit at the base of a tree on a hill and hunt. Ground hunting is probably the most exciting!
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/20/2009 4:18 PM

Ten to fifteen is about it for me...occassinally higher but not often. One of my favorite places is a nose bleed inducing four feet off the ground!! Just high enough to get above the immediate brush and see on top of a nearby bench.

The highest I've ever gone is maybe 18'.
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/20/2009 8:08 PM

I'm right around 20'.
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/20/2009 8:21 PM

My ladder stands are 20-22ft. I love to get up in the air! Use to get that high in the climber. I gave it up though, dam knees.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/20/2009 11:41 PM

My nutz start tingling when I get over twice my height off the ground.
Posted By: riggeruwz

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/21/2009 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
My nutz start tingling when I get over twice my height off the ground.

If that was the case I'd get real high!
Posted By: Tigger

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/21/2009 12:43 PM

All my stands are 16'.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/21/2009 2:39 PM

Thanks guys for the answers,over 12-15ft I get nervous.I use a safety harness but just the thoughts I recon.I have been busted alot at these heights and wondered if higher may change this.I have taken several through the years on the ground but have found it harder to get the bigger ones to co-operate while on the ground.Just wondering if 20ft would make a difference.

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/21/2009 3:28 PM

Cottonstalk, a huge difference. I started out with the 12ft years ago, moved up to 16, then the 20 and 22. These are all ladderstands and I always use a harness. The higher I got up the more deer I got coming around and under me. Even the big bucks!

When I hunt at ground level, I will get into "lemonweed" not sure what the correct name is. When you rub it it smell like lemons. I will just about roll in that stuff. I have had deer come as close a 10-15ft on the ground.
Posted By: SCOTTx88

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/21/2009 4:52 PM

I ussually go for the Nosebleed section,25-30ft. Summit Goliath and my .260 (244yds) worked last year for this one. The higher up you are the less scent hits the area around you.
Posted By: KRal

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/21/2009 8:26 PM

During archery season, I go a minimum of 20', max of 30'. Unless I'm in a real low canopy. Once leaves are off and I have a handgun with me, I'll get as high as I can in the area I'm hunting. Sometimes it's 20', sometimes it's 60' and any where in between. Oh, I also hunt on the ground a lot. Situation and terrain always dictates.
Posted By: WNYBuckhunter

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/22/2009 4:35 PM

15 to 20 feet is usually where Im at.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/22/2009 5:19 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
sometimes it's 60'....

Sorry...but I gotta throw the BS flag on that. Sixty feet...are you serious?

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/22/2009 7:02 PM

Yes, I'm serious. Have you ever hunted southern cutover? I do not hunt at this height frequently, but i have and on occasion, still do. Situation and area dictates. Obviously, there's not many trees that this can be accomplished in, but there is a couple in area's I hunt.

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/22/2009 11:33 PM

In Krals defense, I have seen a home built stand that was at least 60 ft in the air. It was built like a treehouse and it was way the hell up there. I could not believe it.

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/22/2009 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeremy
In Krals defense, I have seen a home built stand that was at least 60 ft in the air. It was built like a treehouse and it was way the hell up there. I could not believe it.

Thanks, Jeremy. I wasn't trying to make an unbelievable statement to try to impress anyone. Nor do I have a habit of lying. I was simply replying to the original question. To be honest, I don't think I can hunt from those trees anymore, because they've got to big around to get my stand on. It's been about three years since I last hunted out of them and I had to put the stand on the trees as high as I could reach just so it would fit. So, it probably won't fit now.
Posted By: Gary

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/23/2009 12:18 AM

I usually get tired of screwing in steps after about 15ft so that's where I stop.

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/23/2009 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Gary
I usually get tired of screwing in steps after about 15ft so that's where I stop.

I'm with you on that! Those thing about kill me and for that reason, probably 95% of my treestand hunting is with a climbing stand.

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/23/2009 2:19 AM

Don't get me wrong, I have gotten on up there in a climber. I live in a heavily wooded area and getting any higher than I do now is pointless. You just cannot see because of the canopy. I have seen some hanging stands with a 40 ft. extension ladder leaned up to it.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/23/2009 3:01 AM

Not me gents… I am too chicken! LOL I like 15-20 feet. Mainly because I am also a bow hunter and don’t want too much of an angle. I usually get my bow stand up first at the deer lease and some how I usually see more deer out of it than I do my box stand.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/23/2009 4:16 PM

Like many of the others, I like 15-20 ft. for the better shot angles and the ability to get away with a little more movement (ie - drawing my bow). However, I have gone way, way above that when hunting cutover or big agriculture, but I'm usually not hunting with the short gun as a primary weapon then...
Posted By: PsyopsE6

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/27/2009 7:16 PM

I think "Sneaking and Peeking" is the greatest thrill for whitetail..

Re: another treestand handgunning question - 09/27/2009 7:19 PM

PsyopsE6, stalking is my favorite way to hunt.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums