Handgunhunt

629 differences between 4" and 5" classic

Posted By: iunderpressure

629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 10/31/2009 9:20 PM

I posted this on another forum with no bites. So I'm here a the forum that got me into handgun hunting.

I was at my local gun shop today and really liked how the 629 felt. I'm looking for a gun that I can use to go deer hunting here or use as a protection gun while bow hunting out west. I have used several search engines and read what I could about the 4" and 5" classic. I don't see much of a velocity difference between the 4",5", or 6" barrels. I like the short 4" for carrying, but I like how the 5" classic has the full length underlug. Is there any difference between the gaps and fit between these two revolvers? How would your recommend carrying these guns? Would you holster both guns strong side or would you want a cross draw the 5"? I would like any opinions. I like the looks of the 5" but don't know "in the real world" if that extra inch would make me regret it.

He priced me $750 for either size. How is that?

What do you think about hunting with open sights. Everything I read here looks like most people scope their guns. Could I scope a 4 or 5" revolver? What do you think about that?
Posted By: Tigger

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 10/31/2009 10:03 PM

As to the 4" or 5", that's all personal preferance. For me I would go with the 5", just right between the 4" and 6".

Velocity, mute point.

You mention carry while bow hunting. I'm right handed so I carry my bow with my left. So I would carry the gun on my belt on the right.

One thing to consider, check your state hunting regs and make sure there is not a minimum barrel lenght. That might decide for you.

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 10/31/2009 10:22 PM

I live in Indiana and the minimum barrel length is 4".
Posted By: Gary

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 10/31/2009 11:38 PM

I would go with the 5" gun and leave it with open sights if you're content to hold off if shots extend beyond 50-60 yards. I've kind of gotten into hunting with my 4 3/4" inch gun in the past couple of years and it's definitely more challenging but it has certain advantages too. I like it because it's easy to carry and it's just more handy than a long barreled gun. Nothing you ever shoot will know the difference in velocity between the 4 or 6 inch versions. I'm pretty sure if I had chosen to shoot at that big hog last weekend with my 4 3/4 gun I would have connected but I really had the wrong bullets in it for that large a hog.
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 10/31/2009 11:46 PM

I would lean to the 5" or 6". In case you wanted to throw a scope on it in the future. Money well spent to have it both ways.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 11/01/2009 1:05 PM

i use a 5.5 inch sbh and use iron sights. i would take the 5 and run. imho; this is just the right size for packing/do it all. dont care for the looks of a scoped rvolvers but do invest in better iron sights than factory offerings. i use strong side carry on an old mil. wed belt, the suspenders help hold up the gun and other stuff. i can undo the belt and it still hangs there.
Posted By: rawhide kid

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 11/01/2009 1:38 PM

I like the 5", but would go with strong side carry. I have carried cross draw allot with no problems until last week. Riding passenger in my friends Artic Cat, the seat belt harness took the dye off a 1 1/2" area just above were the sight sets in the holster. He was wearing a shoulder holster and had no problems. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 11/01/2009 2:26 PM

I have a 29 in 6" and 8 3/8" If i buy another it will be the 5" with the full lug.

That gun is perfect
Posted By: Gary

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 11/01/2009 5:14 PM

There are different holsters for different purposes. Try riding a horse while wearing a shoulder holster. You'll think someone hit you in the ribs with a bat after a couple days.

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 11/02/2009 3:44 AM

It looks like everyone likes the 5".
Posted By: 500WE

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 11/02/2009 8:11 AM

Over the years I've had 29's in 4",6 1/2" and 8 3/8" lengths and have owned 629 Classics in 5" and 6 1/2" lengths since 1991. For your needs, the 5" Classic is superb. Strong side carry for a bowhunter, IMO.
Posted By: huntkng

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 11/02/2009 3:59 PM

The difference between a 5" and 6"...oh, about an inch!

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

Bill in OR
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: 629 differences between 4" and 5" classic - 11/02/2009 8:17 PM

I own a 5" m-29 Classic and find it to be one of the nic`est balenced S&W 44mag`s that I`ve owned. The lugged barrel gives it just enough weight to help tone down the recoil yet its a great all around carry gun...
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums