Handgunhunt

Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help

Posted By: dasbear

Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/13/2009 10:52 PM

I went shooting this morning with a new model blachawk 6 1/2"and quickly discovered my eyes are very tired. both front and rear sight were blury and difficult to line up consistently. Im wondering what my sight options are for this 1986 41 mag as it appears there isn't any way to remove the front blade? I was thinking of a colored outline on the groove and blade might help but not really sure.

Patrick
Posted By: Renster of N.H.

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 12:14 AM

Patrick,

That sight blade is removable. Just not the way you're thinking. I too have a 6 1/2" Blackhawk - 2006 vintage - that has the tall front blade. I've been using it as is for a couple of years, but my eyes are not what they used to be either, and I don't think they are going to improve. I do a whole lotta hunting with my revolver so after this deer season I will likely take it to my smithy and have him grind the blade down to the base, cut a nice dovetail through the base, and slide in a white or gold bead for me. We discussed it after I saw a Super Blackhawk that he did and I like the look of it as well as the more precise sight picture the bead provides. I know I've seen one of the guys here on the forum post a pic of a similar job and it was really neat. It's not a big job for a good smith. Have you a good smithy around?

Renster
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 12:23 AM

You could drill and Tap it for a 2X scope

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 12:24 AM

Yes, two that come to mind immediatly are David White and mike bellm but I'm not sure of their present workload. I will also check around the local Snohomish county area here in Washington as well.
Posted By: Rick

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 12:28 AM

My Super blackhawk has a Redfield magnum mount that is three rings and can easily handle the recoil of any load the 41 will handle. You can use either a red dot or traditional scope with this mount.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 12:31 AM

I have Leupolds on mine
They work well on my 45 & 44 BH's
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 12:33 AM

Due to 50yr old bifocal eye syndrome I've become a believer in red dot sights on my hunting revolvers, although my little 4.5" Blackhawk 41mag is still iron sighted. I's primarily a close up hiking/bowhunting backup piece for bears so if it gets used it will be close & fast. I'll be able to live with a "little fuzzy" on mr. "big fuzzy"!

Posted By: S.B.

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 1:41 PM

Give Dave Clements a call and talk to him about options he offers?
Steve

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 3:06 PM

Steve do you have any contact info for Dave? not sure who he is.

Patrick
Posted By: rlb

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 3:58 PM

276-238-8761 I talked to him when I had trouble with my SRH 454 and he is a great guy and more than willing to help.
Posted By: RUG1

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 4:18 PM

Has anyone trid painting the front ramp with a fluorescent paint?
Like a model paint that comes in green or orange? I just have gotten this idea recently and have been thinking about it.

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/14/2009 7:41 PM

I did talk with Dave Clements a little while ago and he suggested a couple of options
1)white paint on serrations of front blade and or 3 sides of groove
2)he could machine off blade only, machine a cresent into base (like a keyway)then add a new blade of his own with a steeper serrated ramp w/drift pin through base and blade
3)check out some after market rear blades to replace mayself

I will try the white front sight first then, white rear border second.
last option.
Daves work would cost 85.00 plus overnite freight both ways $$$?
Steve thanks for the lead on Dave he is definitely Very willing to help and very knowledgable

Patrick
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/15/2009 11:33 PM

Some have the front sight blade held in a base by a small tension pin. If your's does you can get a fiber optic from Hi-Viz that will replace the factory, and then a peep to complete the package.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/16/2009 12:30 PM

I had my smith D&T the front blade and install a shotgun bead. The sides of the front blade were then milled to match the width of the bead. I also filed the rear notch into a "V". This sort of made a poor man's express sight. Works very well. Cost was $15.
Posted By: az_shooter

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/16/2009 12:34 PM

Dan B.,

That was a great idea! Do you find the bead easy to pick up in low-light situations?

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/16/2009 7:14 PM

It's very easy to see in about any conditions.
Posted By: dc74

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/17/2009 9:46 PM

they make a blackhawk mount works out of the box weaver rings work great got one on my 44
Posted By: Renster of N.H.

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/18/2009 12:24 AM

Dan,

Now there's one that I didn't think of and have never seen before! Where did you come up with that idea? I'm going to drop by my smithy and go online to the forum with him and have him look at that pic. We're gonna have to soak on that together and see if it's something I want to do. I was just going to have him shave my blade off, then dovetail the base, and insert a nice Lyman type dovetail bead. Now, I have something different to consider.
Thank you for the pic!
\:\)

Renster

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/18/2009 4:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Renster of N.H.
Where did you come up with that idea?

Just popped into my head one evening while tinkering in the mancave. If I had a mill, lathe and better drill press I would be dangerous with some of the stuff I'd like to fab.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/18/2009 4:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Dan B.

Just popped into my head one evening while tinkering in the mancave. If I had a mill, lathe and better drill press I would be dangerous with some of the stuff I'd like to fab.

Ahhh... I see it now.
The new compact S&W Backpacker by Dan B. A 3 shot J frame in 45 Colt!
\:o
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/18/2009 7:28 AM

No, Dan B... DANGEROUS is when you do it anyway: full steam ahead; damn the
@#(^%$###&%#$$$___*^%@++++&&&%%$#.

I been there and done that and am still doin ' it.
Posted By: DwarvenChef

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/18/2009 8:11 AM

Hey I want a Jframe in 44spcl, hook me up :p
Posted By: sixshot

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/23/2009 3:54 AM

Patrick, Ruger front sights are .125" wide (1/8th inch) I have my gunsmith son mill them to .100", now you've gained daylight on both sides & it will clear up a bunch, now, paint the front sight white with your wife's fingernail polish, let it dry & paint over it with bright orange, model airplane paint, you won't believe the difference. If that doesn't work then have the sight milled off.
Skeeter Skelton wrote about this way back in the late 60's, I've done it ever since & it works great at my house.

Dick
Posted By: junebug

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 11/30/2009 6:18 PM

Thank goodness someone remembers the old guys. Skeeter skeltons article on the .45 colt got me started down the handgun path years ago. most of the fixes we come up with today have been tried before ,they worked then they work now.Elmer keith also had several fixes for front and rear sight problems.fiber optic cable is also an option

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 12/03/2009 8:27 PM

I'm getting the paint ready right now. I will post pics later next week.

Dasbear
Posted By: anachronism

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 12/03/2009 9:22 PM

Magnaport offers a front sight they call the "C-more". I've seen pictures of them, they're a solid florescent orange, & look like they may help you out. They're standard on their "Stalker" conversions. Also, I have a Millet front sight on my GP100 that has a solid orange bar down the front of it. It has always been a big help for me, I need to buy more of them for my other Rugers. I imagine they offer a model for the Blackhawk too.
Posted By: BINGO

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 12/07/2009 2:34 AM

The C-Mores come in other colors too. They are bright.
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 12/07/2009 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: BINGO
The C-Mores come in other colors too. They are bright.

Here is a C-More sight installed by Mag-Na-Port on a Super Blackhawk. This is the Predator Conversion. Mag-Na-Port claims the green is the best for low light. I can tell you it does stand out great in regular light. I really like it.

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 12/10/2009 3:42 AM

OK folks I finally got around to picking up some nail polish and heres what I came up with. First off I was hoping not to pay too much and I think I came in under budget for the perfect size in three colors White, green and orange each was 1.99 at Freddys. Its called Deco Art nail polish. I really think this is the perfect remedy for tired eyes short of mounting a scope on my RBH which would defeat the purpose of having this gun. I taped off both sides with scotch tape, cleaned w/alcohol, white then orange.

Posted By: muddydog

Re: Blackhawk Sights and Tired eyes Help - 12/13/2009 2:00 AM

Ive always used just white paint and it shows up great on the sides of critters
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums