Handgunhunt

I took pictures!!

Posted By: Dan B.

I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 3:34 AM

When I imagine our PA deer season it always has fresh snow, 25 degrees and calm winds. This will allow me to hunt any style I wish...long range, still hunting or just sitting. Well this year has had light winds, high winds, light rain, hard rain and frost...terrible weather in SWPA. Because of that I've been sticking to my treehouse...a dry seat and propane heater are VERY inviting!! I can shoot to nearly 200yds (top of the blurry field) and see some great deer funnels and bedding areas (blocked by the bench). This place HAS deer, and some BIG ones, but you can only see them when they venture out...and with the comforts offerred, it's easy to wait!

On Tuesday I could not wait any longer and shot a doe at 180yds. Wednesday brought only more doe. Today was dismal...nothing was out until 4:15PM. Three deer (one mature doe and two yearlings) crept from the briar thickets at the very top of the field. When the large doe offered a 190yd shot, I raised up 2MOA and let her have it. She stepped just as the trigger broke and the shot impacted 4" from the POA...but still easily hit the lungs. She jumped, scurried 40yds and piled up. The pic shows the exit side, which was about 4" to the rear of the entrance.

The XP-100 .300 Savage did awesome. The load is 43.5gr Varget, WW brass, CCI 200, and 150gr Rem PSP. The Rem bullets are doing GREAT internal damage but giving very "blah" exit holes and very little blood trails. Thankfully the three deer I have shot with them have dropped after no more than 40yds. Next year I may try my favorite 150gr .30 cal bullet, the Hornady #3031. If not that, then I may try a 125-130gr bullet.

Now that the doe tags are done, I need to find Mr. Horns. Hopefully snow and calm winds are coming and I'll break out the Lil'Monster.
Posted By: pab1

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 6:12 AM

Congrats Dan!
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 12:07 PM

Love the pic Dan! Looks promising, like it is the secret honey hole. I like it!
Posted By: KRal

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 1:10 PM

Originally Posted By: pab1
Congrats Dan!

X2
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 1:21 PM

Nice pictures, looks like a great spot to hunt. Congrats, nice shooting.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 1:55 PM

Good deal Dan!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Originally Posted By: DanB
Hopefully snow and calm winds are coming

Are you nuts!! I like this warm Dec weather, it keeps my heat bill down. LOL
Posted By: Rick

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 1:59 PM

With that set-up it would be difficult for me to pull the trigger. Pulling the trigger would mean leaving the plush accommodations. Nice shootin.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 2:02 PM

Its your B-Day too?
Congrats and thanks for the story and pic
Posted By: Russell

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 5:27 PM

Congrats!!

Hope you have a good B'day!

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 9:02 PM

Saw a little buck today...did not even raise the gun. Hopefully next week will bring bigger antlers.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Here's a quiz about my age...who knows the "##" on a bottle of Rolling Rock beer? Get the answer and you know my age. PA folks, even if you don't drink (I don't), should know this.
Posted By: huntkng

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 10:23 PM

Lets see, hummmm...ah your just OLD!
Bill in OR
Posted By: DwarvenChef

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 10:38 PM

Happy B-Day Dan
\:\)
Posted By: Bullelk Hunter

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 11:11 PM

I don't care about Rolling Rock, but what I do care about is the fact that you mention a mature doe and two yearlings. You success has made them orphans,and that is wrong, but heck, maybe Obama's helathcare will take care of them.....I saw three bear while hunting down near Windber. No deer taken though.

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/04/2009 11:20 PM

I don't drink at all but I know the number on the Rolling Rock bottle. Dan you are just a pup. LOL<LOL<LOL

The number signifies the words in the beer's original pledge of quality, which is still printed on every bottle.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/05/2009 12:15 AM

Never even heard of that brand until now.
Posted By: Renster of N.H.

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/05/2009 12:30 AM

Criiipes!

Who the h3ll drinks Rolling Rock anyway!
No Irishman I know!
Grrreen bottles --- almost as bad as cans!

Killians man till the end!

So whats the ##'s Tigg?

Happy B Day Dan!
\:\)
Posted By: Preacherman

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/05/2009 3:12 AM

Congrats on the deer, Dan. I hope you get a nice buck. I lived in PA for many years and never missed a hunting season. I miss it, but I enjoy reading about others hunting adventures over there.

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/05/2009 4:54 PM

And the number is 33
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/05/2009 6:08 PM

Excellent set-up, and great shooting. I love the propane heater part!

Happy Birthday, young man.

I just noticed something interesting: According to the "Registered" info by each Avatar, The Birthday Kid (Dan), Pab1, Tigger, Rick, Ernie, huntkng, Bullelk Hunter, and myself all registered on the same day: 1/18/04, Sunday. That was one heck of a day for Handgun Hunter Magazine!

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/05/2009 6:41 PM

Gregg, when Gary revised the site after a big crash all the "old" members had a new registration date of 04. I actually came on board in the fall of 2000 shortly after Gary started the site in the spring.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/05/2009 9:49 PM

Danny Boy, GREAT SHOT............James
Posted By: rawhide kid

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/05/2009 10:17 PM

Great pics and story, Happy Birthday youngun.

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/05/2009 10:37 PM

We had about 2" of snow today but I did not hunt. I doubt it will stay until Monday...fingers crossed!! If it does I'll be breaking out the LR gun and spotter to start picking apart brush piles on far ridges for any sign of antlers.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/06/2009 12:20 AM

Old Man,

Congratulations! With photo documentation, it actually did happen! Or, did you just take a picture of someone else's deer? Hmmm...

Happy Belated Birthday!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/06/2009 1:43 AM

QUOTE: "Gary revised the site after a big crash all the "old" members had a new registration date of 04"

OOPS sorry, I did not know that, just went by the posted info. and thought it was cool that some of us had the "same registration date."

I stand corrected.
Posted By: Boartuff

Re: I took pictures!! - 12/07/2009 4:17 PM

Cool photo out of the stand. Congrats on your collection of venison!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums