Handgunhunt

S&W Stealth

Posted By: pacrossbow

S&W Stealth - 04/24/2010 11:38 PM

I am running into an issue with rings for a S&W Stealth Hunter.

The rear cutout for a scope base has little room for a scope base to attach to. Basically a scope ring with a .75" base is too wide.

Are there and narrow width scope rings that might work?

Picture:

Posted By: Chris Abbott

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 12:13 AM

I dont know if there would be any strength issues but the rails of Marlin 22 and 17 calliber rifles are narrower. You might look into a ring that attaches to those. I know they are dovetail type rails but maybe something to look at.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 12:14 AM

Can't help you on the rings, but beautiful gun (One I would LOVE to own!) & welcome to the forum!!!
Posted By: pter1020k

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 12:29 AM

welcome, have you asked S&W?they should know what rings the base was made for.

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 12:35 AM

Thanks for the information and welcomes!

I will be calling S&W on Monday to hear what they say (figured I'd ask here over the weekend.

Thanks again.
Posted By: KRal

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 1:38 AM

Check out the Weigand Mag rings, they just might fit. They measure 1/2" wide.
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 2:18 AM

PaCrossbow, I have a S&W Hunter. Very similar to your Stealth. I wish I could give you a name of the rings on mine. They are 5/8" and just do work. I had these laying around and got lucky.

They came out with the Stealth after I got mine. At first I really wanted that model. Now, you could not pry mine from my hands! Both are great guns by S&W!

Posted By: Ravenman

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 7:49 AM

This must be a great handgun.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/GUNS/GUNS0509/?page=44
Posted By: pter1020k

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 11:59 AM

looks like S&W finally came up with an answer to the ruger super black hawk hunter.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 2:40 PM

The Millet "angle-lock" rings are pretty narrow. All the r&d that went into that gun, and they missed that? Hmmm!
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 3:22 PM

That is a beauty of a gun!

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 3:42 PM

In the article that Ravenman gave the link to it said they used Leupold "Magnum" rings. Look like normal Leupold QR rings to me.

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 4:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Ravenman

Thanks for the link, it was a good article.

Originally Posted By: Vance in AK.
In the article that Ravenman gave the link to it said they used Leupold "Magnum" rings. Look like normal Leupold QR rings to me.

Vance,

I noticed that too.

If you look at the pictures, on page 48 of that article, you will see that he then switched to Leupold PRW rings to shoot with.

Speaking of the PRW rings, they are .75" at the base and .6" at the scope (I have them here and was going to use them until I noticed the base width).

Thanks again for the help and information.
Posted By: Bullelk Hunter

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/25/2010 11:48 PM

This looks alot like my S&W .44 master Hunter. It was a limited run and I have one! Mine factory ported is d/t under the sight like the normal N-frames. I have it mounted with a 4X Leupold and it is one fine piece.
Posted By: BINGO

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/28/2010 1:23 AM

S&W has used those "cross slotted" barrels many times. It's nothing new. Pacrossbow, Weigand Combat "Magnum" rings would also be my 1st try. I use use them on a Mod 83. They're thinner than most.

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/29/2010 2:43 AM

Originally Posted By: BINGO
S&W has used those "cross slotted" barrels many times. It's nothing new. Pacrossbow, Weigand Combat "Magnum" rings would also be my 1st try. I use use them on a Mod 83. They're thinner than most.

BINGO,

Thanks for the information.

I looked at Weigand Rings and there is one issue. For the 44 MAG they recommend three rings.

The distance between the scope mount cutouts isn't far enough to use three rings. Basically the adjustment dials are too big to fit between two rings next to each other (I made two drawings to show what I am referring to below).

I heard back from Smith & Wesson and they stated that Warne rings will work (they even sell them on their website).

I have a set of Warne's on the way and received another set of rings that work as well (a gentleman on another message board sent me them).

Thanks again everyone for all the help, I appreciate it.

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/29/2010 4:35 AM

I think you will find that the Warnes will hold fine with two rings. I used 2 of them on my mod 29 on my red dot sight for about 6 yrs. Standard load was a 320gr @ 1325-1350fps. It digested probably close to 1k of these rounds along with light loads & never moved once.
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: S&W Stealth - 04/29/2010 2:33 PM

That gun has a little more weight than my 629. The recoil is pretty mild IMO. You won't have any problems with 2.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums