Handgunhunt

357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please

Posted By: 284Shooter

357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/07/2010 6:07 AM

Hi guys, newbie to the forum.

Been shooting my old 6 inch Python for about 35 yrs and shot IHMSA silhouette for many years so I'm comfortable in my ability with a handgun.

However a recent stroke has left me unable to use my left arm which rules out rifle hunting.

BTW, I have a self imposed limit of 50/60 yard shots on deer.

Recently I have been shooting a 180gr.SWC cast bullet over a heavy load of 2400 which has been very accurate.

Your thoughts on this combination as well as the Hornady XTP and other jacketed bullets along with opinions on the 357 for deer hunting in general are welcomed.

Thanx 284
Posted By: Warren

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/07/2010 2:29 PM

Sorry to hear about your stroke.
I use to hunt with a 44mag for deer because all the magazines said that is what you needed. I really didn't like the 44 so I tried my 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk in .357mag and have taken 3 NY whitetails with it. I was using factory 158gr jsp.
Last winter I took a 130lb russian boar using 180gr hard cast from Double Tap ammunition. I use a 40yd limit due to my limited ability to hit anything past that with open sights.
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/07/2010 2:48 PM

Any of the jacketed bullets from 140 gr.on up will work well.The .357 mag. works great on deer,I've noticed a few of the old time sixgunners talking about trying the .357 mag for deer hunting now that their getting older and their joints just can't take a lot of the recoil anymore of the bigger guns/one of these fellas said this in "The Sixgunner".I personally haven't used the 180SWC so I won't speak on that,but I use the Sierra 140 hollowcavity on deer and it has worked great on the dozen or so deer that I've taken with it.I hope your recovering well and I'll be praying for you-johnw.
Posted By: 430man

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/07/2010 3:10 PM

Nothing at all wrong with a .357. The only gripe I have ever had with it is you need the right bullet choice for deer. Watch out for the ones that open too fast made for defense or those too tough for expansion in deer.
Listen to those with many deer kills for the proper boolit.
Posted By: minnesotahunter

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/07/2010 3:14 PM

Welcome to the forum!!
Great bunch of guys here, and always generous with advice. You'll find your answer from someone.

Good luck hunting.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/07/2010 3:14 PM

There is very little room for error with a 357 maggie on deer but it will certainly work, I've taken them using the 150 gr Sierra JHC & the Keith #358429 cast slug.
You need 3 things on game animals, a good bullet, bullet placement & bullet penetration......dead deer, everytime!

Dick
Posted By: Russell

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/07/2010 3:42 PM

Several species of game were taken with it when it first came out in the 30's, most with a LSWC, 158 grs. Don't think the critters have gotten any tougher since that time. As a former competitor you know you have to burn a lot of powder to stay consistant and in the winner's circle. Same with handgunning deer or any other game, make a lot of 'smoke', keep your range reasonable and you'll fill you tags. JMO.
Posted By: RickyP

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/08/2010 12:32 AM

a 357 mag will most certenly kill a deer but as stated you have little wiggle room, and have to watch what bullets used and range.

deer are not overly tough animals to kill an you could kill one with a 22 long rifle but it wouldnt be my first chioce.

If you can try and go up in bullet size try a 41 magnum or a 44 special. bigger bullets that expand make bigger holes in the deer and more blood
Posted By: cfish2

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/08/2010 3:47 AM

I have taken 6 deer here in NC with my SBH in 357mag. ^.5 inch barrel. I use 158 and 180gr hard cast gas checked ammo from Cast performance bullets. I have never had one run more then 30 yards.
Posted By: doglake1

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/12/2010 12:04 AM

Not trying to open a can of worms, but, is a bonded bullet, SJHP at 158 grains, any disadvantage vs. a 180 grain HC? Assuming factory loads? Will the deer (at my max of 60 yards) even know any different? Also assuming a well placed shot.
Posted By: Lone Eagle

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/12/2010 2:22 AM

What is everyone's shot placement on deer with the 357 Mag?

Shoulder shot?

Rib cage shot?

What weight bullet for each.

I ounce read a magazine article that said a 125 gr. hollow point works great in a rib cage shot.

Just interested in everyone's input.

Jeff

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/12/2010 1:23 PM

Lungs/ribcage shot.If using one of the hardcast bullets or Hornady 180 gr. hollowpoints,you could put it right through the shoulders.I shot anice 12pt. (dressed weight 185lbs.) years ago with the Federal 180 gr hollowpoint right through his left hip angling forward which went through the lungs punched through the shoulder and almost exited with the bullet clinging to some of the hide and this was a shot at 30 yards.I currently use the Sierra 140 gr.hollowcavity which has worked very well on the dozen/deer that it has taken. By-the-way,the twelve pt. only went 20 yards and dropped.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/12/2010 1:39 PM

Jeff,

With my .357's on deer, I prefer the same shot I choose for my arrow placement - behind the shoulder.

I use 158 and 180 gr XTP's and limit my shots to under 50 yards.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/12/2010 1:55 PM

I always aim for the boiler room. I hate butchering blown up front shoulders ;-)
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/12/2010 5:22 PM

If you can find them Nosler partitions work well.Wiedners had some last I checked.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/12/2010 6:41 PM

I have taken 13 deer with the 357 Max revolver and the 158gr SJHP and never lost a one. All but one were in the vitals just behind the shoulder. The exception was when the bullet hit the edge of a sapling I didn't see and the bullet elevated from the ribs and hit a large doe in the spine right behind the front shoulders. She dropped like a rock. I had to slit her throat to finish her. I was lucky that day.
Posted By: bisleyfan44

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/12/2010 7:09 PM

Your load should work just fine. JHPs in the ribs; cast through the shoulders.
Right bullet + right placement = meat everytime.
Posted By: Lone Eagle

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/13/2010 4:33 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

Jeff
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/13/2010 7:57 PM

284, I began my handgun hunting of whitetail using my Colt Python and Winchesters 158gr JHP ammo. That was one of the factory loads that Dick Metcalf, who is a big 357 fan for deer,
recommended in his articles a number of years ago.As the members have stated above "put the bullet in the right place for in and out penetration and you`ll collect your deer"....I see your shooting history so I know of your ability to place the bullet so the the only thing left for me to say is "good luck and good hunting".....James
Posted By: Scharms

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/14/2010 12:28 AM

I have an acquaintance who dropped a doe last fall with a .357 handloaded w/a 125 gr. XTP. BUT, the deer was within 20 yards of his treestand. I would imagine that a 170-180 gr. load could do the same at slightly longer ranges...

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 07/14/2010 1:46 AM

I personally think the 125 gr.hollowpoints are on the lightside,they'll work on lung shots but I would worry about them for any shot that might potentially stray.
Posted By: Redhawk500

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/26/2013 7:14 PM

I have never deer hunted with a .357 Mag revolver. My comments would relate to compensation for the stroke. A barrel to butt sling would stabilize across the shoulders. A single point with small strap over barrel might help free standing shots. Good luck and God bless on your therapy and recovery.
Posted By: TCScout

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/27/2013 1:37 AM

Lots of good information provided for your here. Here is my two cents.

I have had good results with the 158 grain FP-XTP behind the shoulder. I like a 180 or so grain WFN cast better. It can take out the shoulders (a shot which I personally like) and my experience with the several deer I have shot with this bullet has been bang-flop. The cast bullet will also get the job done behind the shoulder. I shot a big bodied buck last year through-and-through the lungs because it was the only shot opportunity I had. The exit hole was half-dollar size. Not the best blood trail (which can be a knock on this type of bullet) for the first 30 yards but he only ran 40 yards. The blood pressure is going to drop precipitously with gaping holes in the lungs.

So, I personally like the heavy cast bullet, because I firmly believe it gives me more options to take an ethical shot.

I am glad the hunting fires are still burning and I hope the Python strikes this year.
Posted By: TOBY458

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/27/2013 1:40 AM

Here's a line from a post I submitted awhile back about hunting with a 357.
"So, I found a S&W 586 under the tree just before my 17th birthday. I hunted with that gun and killed a doe with it the first year. Then.....I shot the biggest buck I had ever shot at that time "or since" with the 357, and lost it to another hunter who was hunting 300 yards away with a rifle. I shot the deer in the neck, which was the only shot that he presented me, and missed the spine. I was heart broken! I even got the bullet out of his neck when the guy dressed him out! So that's when I abandoned the 357 mag and got a real gun. I've been a 44 or larger guy ever since!"
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/27/2013 1:54 AM

Gents, great comments!

Please realize that this thread was revitalized from 2010 and half the people that were involved are no longer regulars on the forum.

Duane
Posted By: TCScout

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/27/2013 1:59 AM

Good point. I haven't posted in a while and should pay more attention.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/27/2013 2:21 AM

Ha man, I am glade you are so admitted about this topic!!

I think the 357 is a great round and has its limitations just like any other caliber. IMHO, you can choose a bad load for the 44 Mag which could result in the loss of your quarry. I am just glad people are opinionated about being selective of components for any caliber.

This caught my attention because I am currently working with my Dad's 10in Contender barrel in 357 Mag. LOL Ironically, I am loading a 200gr RCBS cast Hollow Point "rifle bullet" around 1350 over 14gr of 2400. I am just taking advantage of the extended OAL that can be obtained in the TC barrel.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/27/2013 2:30 AM

Quote:
shot the deer in the neck, which was the only shot that he presented me

To assume a better result with an equally poorly placed shot simply due to a larger diameter projectile doesn't seem prudent.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/27/2013 2:33 AM

Well Rod, we don't know what load he shot it with either...

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/27/2013 3:27 AM

Quote:
So that's when I abandoned the 357 mag and got a real gun. I've been a 44 or larger guy ever since!"

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/27/2013 2:10 PM

I was shooting CCI Lawman ammo. 158 gr HP. And it it true that perhaps a bigger gun would have shared the same result, but even with well placed shots, the 357 has little immediate effect on big game. Where as a 44 or larger seems to have much more of a visible effect on them. Not to mention a bigger hole and better blood trail. I'm not knocking the use of a 357 on deer sized game at all. I just know from experience that there are better choices. Heck I've killed deer with a 22 pistol, so who am I to judge? We have a deer tracking business, and track 30-50 deer on average per year. The majority of those deer are still alive when we find them. My gun of choice for this is a 22 mag rifle. One shot through the lungs is all it takes. But in a hunting situation, you don't have a dog to keep the deer in one place until it dies.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/28/2013 2:43 AM

FWIW, this deer was shot with a 300 whisper... Doc- AKA WVHitman - shot this deer with a 240gr at 1100sih fps.

There are different applications involved, I am just trying to say don't write off the 357 Mag...

129 yds.,240 gr. Sierra HPBT, .300 Whisper. Walked about 10 yds, dropped. Never knew "He" was there

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/28/2013 12:55 PM

TC Tex

I just bought a 300aac barrel for my contender with an aac cyclone suppressor. I did some research and found Outlaw State bullets. They are designed for subsonic hunting. Do you have any experience with them? I bought a box of them but haven't shot any game with them yet.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/28/2013 5:45 PM

My friend, I have no idea. If those are the high dollar bullets that I think they might be, Doc has said the work great.

Go ahead and start a new thread on the topic and ask. There are quite a few shooters here that might know.

Duane

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/29/2013 1:19 AM

Quote:
I just know from experience that there are better choices.

I'll not argue that. I prefer a 45, but would not feel impotent with my GP. I have witnessed deer hit in the neck or high ribs with magnum rifles run forever so there are no guarantees.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/29/2013 3:17 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
shot the deer in the neck, which was the only shot that he presented me

To assume a better result with an equally poorly placed shot simply due to a larger diameter projectile doesn't seem prudent.

158gr Win.JHP from Colt Python did the job....

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/30/2013 2:40 AM

;\)

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/30/2013 8:45 PM

with lung shot placement(this is the placement I use with all my guns)the deer I have shot with my .357 mag have all gone done quickly,just as quickly as my bigger calibers...I have seen deer shot with rifles and slug guns get away and die lingering deaths due to iffy shots,i.e. neck shots,paunch ect. if I had read only and not seen the results of the .357 mag on deer I would have doubts on using it but as they say the "proof is in the pudding"

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 09/30/2013 9:44 PM

I shot a doe with a 45 acp over this past weekend. A perfect lung shot with a 230 gr Double Tap JHP. She ran approximately 75 yds and fell. I suspect similar shot placement with A 357 would've given similar results. I guess I just like big bullet holes better than medium ones..lol! I give up on yall!
\:\)
Posted By: Scienceguy

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/02/2013 3:07 PM

My only problem with hunting with the 357 is that the high pressure round hurts my ears more; in a hunting situation in which I don't have ear protection. Thus the reason I went from hot 357s to mid range 45 colts. The 357 worked just fine though.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/02/2013 10:50 PM

Scienceguy,...your correct that's the only thing I have against the .357,shes loud.I'm not trying to knock anybody,I of all people have made bad shots -hey ,I'm human,but what I find when someone usually says I'll never use that caliber again,is that they hit the animal with a bad shot or used the wrong bullet and then blame the gun/caliber,...like I said I'm not knocking anyone cause I've had my share of bad shots but I've had far more well placed shots and like I said if I only had "experience,from what I've read" and not actual field experience then I would have had a skeptical approach too,...this is where Dick Metcalf was many years ago and then because Colt sent him on hunts with the python he changed his mind ,results don't lie-and don't take that last word(lie) that Im implying that anybody is lying that's not what I mean,I mean the "proof is in the pudding"!!-john
Posted By: Scienceguy

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/03/2013 2:57 PM

I killed 3 deer with my 357s, so I am by no means an expert with the caliber. I used 158 XTP on top of H110 an could shoot the round well. Last year I killed a small doe, she dropped in her tracks. As I walked up on her I attempted a head shot at 4 feet....and missed the next round found its mark (funny you still have to aim at those distances). Afterwards my ears rang for 5 hours. Looking at the entry and exit wounds which were small, I contemplated the other two deer I had killed and decided to look for a round that would not be as loud and would make a bigger hole. I am using a 45 colt pushing a 320gr wfn cast at @1100. It has more power, bigger holes, it doesn't hurt my ears to fire sans ear protection (only hunting or taking a walk), and I honestly don't think the recoil is as harsh. The last past is pure subjection but it's a heavy slower push and not a pop. But when it's all said and done the 357 will work just fine.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/03/2013 4:17 PM

I feel like these comments are aimed at me, so here goes. I didn't base my decision to go to larger caliber guns for deer hunting simply based on one incident. It was based on several deer shot and killed that showed no sign of a hit and left very little blood trail. The larger calibers seem to do better in these areas. I hunt in places that have very thick cover, so it pays to have a good blood trail. I know a 357 will kill any deer on earth, and do it well. It just doesn't compare to a larger caliber, especially on larger deer in thick cover.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/03/2013 6:12 PM

Quote:
It just doesn't compare to a larger caliber, especially on larger deer in thick cover.

I don't think anyone is arguing that point. Nor do I think anything is aimed at you. All that has been pointed out is the fact that placement trumps displacement, always has and always will. That said, I love to make big holes too ;-)

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/03/2013 6:40 PM

If they'd start building a 4 shot 657 magnum on a GP100 frame I might stop arguing! Lol! Well hell.....looks like I've invented a new caliber!
;\)
Posted By: TGC

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/03/2013 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: TOBY458
If they'd start building a 4 shot 657 magnum on a GP100 frame I might stop arguing! Lol! Well hell.....looks like I've invented a new caliber!
;\)

Whoo, hooo. A 4 shot .65 caliber. Better go with the redhawk frame!

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/03/2013 11:55 PM

Shoot, I'd be happy with a 5 hole 41. Or, 44 Special.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/04/2013 2:44 AM

Yea I would love to see a five shot special or 41 mag on the GP100 or S&W L frame. The FA 97 is probably as close as we're gonna see to that though. I had a 44 special in that gun awhile back. It shot well, but the grip is a little too small for my hand. It would eat your middle knuckle up with heavy loads. I really do prefer the feel of a double action revolver, but I've just never had one that totally satisfied me.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/06/2013 1:58 AM

Great read with a few humbling facts.

The acrticle speaks for itself.

http://www.guns.com/2011/11/17/is-the-357-magnum-enough-for-deer-hunting/

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/06/2013 2:31 AM

One more...

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=30
Posted By: EricS

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/06/2013 3:29 AM

I think for the most part that we tend to underestimate the killing ability of smaller rounds. I follow along the line of bigger is better but not always necessary. I would have no problems hunting deer with a 357. In fact I probably would have had more handgun hunting success earlier in life If I would have started hunting with a .357 mag. It took me a long time working through flinching to expect to hit anything past 25 yards. At the same time I had a 357 that had routinely taken coyotes at 50-75 yards but I never hunted with it because I was always told 41-44 were the minimum for deer. It took me a long time to make that step up from a 357 to a 44 mag. I think largely because I was doing most of my shooting standing between partitions at an indoor range. The blast was horrible and paying by the hour had me basically shooting too much too fast trying to maximize my shooting practice while keeping my lane rental down. If I only had the confidence to hunt with the 357 I believe it would have performed fine. I have been surprised by the 10mm and they are a lot alike. If the 357 maximum is good to 200 yards 100 yards with the 357 should be fine.
Posted By: wtroper

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/06/2013 3:01 PM

I, too, agree that the 357 is an effective deer round. However, I have never used it. While bigger is never worse than smaller (with regard to the diameter of projectiles), the most important factor is "where you place the shot." I would much rather see someone use a 357 that they shoot well, rather than a 475 or 500 that they do not shoot well.

I had the experience this past weekend of assisting in looking for a catalina goat that was shot with a 375 JDJ. It was hit before noon on Saturday and we found it Sunday morning --- still alive. The original hit broke the near shoulder (barely) and angled forward and down. The exit was at the base of the neck * brisket. Nothing vital was hit. Everyone on this forum understands the power and reputation of the 375 JDJ. But if the bullet does not go where it should, it will not kill even a small goat.

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/06/2013 3:12 PM

Originally Posted By: wtroper
I, too, agree that the 357 is an effective deer round. However, I have never used it. While bigger is never worse than smaller (with regard to the diameter of projectiles), the most important factor is "where you place the shot." I would much rather see someone use a 357 that they shoot well, rather than a 475 or 500 that they do not shoot well.

I had the experience this past weekend of assisting in looking for a catalina goat that was shot with a 375 JDJ. It was hit before noon on Saturday and we found it Sunday morning --- still alive. The original hit broke the near shoulder (barely) and angled forward and down. The exit was at the base of the neck * brisket. Nothing vital was hit. Everyone on this forum understands the power and reputation of the 375 JDJ. But if the bullet does not go where it should, it will not kill even a small goat.
Says it all....

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/06/2013 4:04 PM

Your right, it does!

I am not trying to tell you that the 357 Mag is THE round, just that it has a little more merit than most give it credit. Nothing makes up for shot placement, however, I think both articles give clues to the 357 Mag's fading in popularity AND ability. Just like the 44 Mag, 357 Mag ammo isn't as potent as originally loaded or designed. Buffalo Bore Ammo also has comments about 357 ammo. Hand loaded ammo makes factory ammo seam anemic to today's standards.

Duane

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 10/06/2013 4:53 PM

Good articles! I'm sure a good handload would make all the difference.
Posted By: FROSTY

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 03/05/2014 12:19 AM

I recently purchased a 357 mag. 6" Ruger GP 100. It is the most accurate pistol I have ever owned with iron sights @ 100 it groups 6 rounds that can be covered with a coffee cup. I prefer it over my 44 mag. 10.5" SBH. Next Deer Season the 357 will be getting the nod with 180 grain hard cast from Buffalo Bore!
Posted By: RedSS

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 03/05/2014 8:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Lone Eagle
What is everyone's shot placement on deer with the 357 Mag?

Doesn't matter whether it's an arrow or a bullet, I try to place it a little less than midway up, behind the shoulder. I hunt mostly to eat and I feel guilty wasting meat.
Posted By: Mad Dog 1954

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 03/05/2014 7:55 PM

Shot placement
Posted By: hawkeye80863

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 03/09/2014 4:21 AM

"Catalina goat"? Where were you hunting?
Posted By: BINGO

Re: 357 Magnum For Deer Opinions Please - 03/11/2014 3:51 AM

284Shooter welcome. I choose to hunt w/bigger because I like them. That said. If you can hit what your shooting at w/in your self imposed limit? I hope you get a whopper. I've hunted w/the 357 & it was a 4 inch Security Six. No reason you can't. I will say what I don't like. Anything under 170 grains! A little expansion won't hurt but cast is fine. I use cast in all my bigger stuff. Don't like XTP's of any kind & I think the best jacketed bullet in 357 was the Partition Gold no longer made. Swift makes a 180 & Hawk? that's probably just as good. But if you like cast 180's use em. I'm partial to Cast Performance. I should add that I also had a GP100 for a while. Loved it but liked the Security Six better.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums