Handgunhunt

Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights?

Posted By: Mike Hefner

Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/21/2010 3:53 PM

I am just getting ready to start handgun hunting for Coyotes with a 22MAG revolver with iron sights. My question is....
am I dreaming or has anyone here ever got one with iron sights?
I plan to use a rabbit call and blind.
Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/21/2010 6:13 PM

Welcome to the sight Mike!!!

I shot one out of my tree stand at 25 yards but it was with a scope. I don't have to tell you that with a 22 Mag you may have to be selective on were you aim. What I can say is that I have hit squirrel in the head a 50 yards with a 22LR. If you do your home work , know what your gun is capable of, and put the range time in, I know you can harvest your coyote!
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/21/2010 6:23 PM

check out the bragging board,there's at least one picture of one shot with open sights, .22 magnum revolver.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/21/2010 6:37 PM

I killed a yote about 18 years ago, with a ruger single-six in 22 mag. It was iron sighted with a 9 1/2" barrel. Dog was about 80 yards quartering to me. Shot him in front part of shoulder and he dropped in his tracks.

No pic. Back in the day, I didn't carry a camera hunting....don't think I even had one....LOL
Posted By: Al in OK

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/21/2010 8:04 PM

I've hit em with iron sights, but not with a handgun. 22mag is a tad light for yotes, but ok if you pick your shot and shoot true. Welcome to the handgun jungle!
Posted By: wyote

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/21/2010 10:44 PM

I've killed a hand full of coyotes with open sighted revolvers and an auto. Mostly 45's......45 Colt, 45 Win mag, 454. But my very first called in coyote (40 years ago) was killed with a Ruger single six shooting the 22 LR. Broke his back leg with my first shot and them finished him off with a neck shot. Not what I would consider a coyote killer by any means (or good shooting). The 22 mag would be better but still it wouldn't be my first choice.

Open sights will do the job..........but if your talking about a popup blind, I believe I would that at home.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/22/2010 2:02 AM

I've taken a few with my 44mag SBH. The first one was planned. Was in North Park Colorado calling with a buddy of mine. We both had 223's and had already taken 2 first thing in the morning. Later on we were hunkered down in sage brush calling when one snuck right up on us we and the coyote were startled. My buddy was trying to get to his rifle and I drew my 44 and blasted it as it ran past us. First shot put it down and out. After that I started carrying it for when they snuck in close enough. You'll have fun!
Posted By: TomG

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/22/2010 3:05 AM

Took one years ago with a .357 mag open sights. Called in with a rabbit call. Lots of snow cover. Snow camo and a hastily set up "hide" in the snow. The coyote was hungry and I was lucky. It was a heck of a lot of fun. Now I find that I am getting a bit fond of the critters so I don't hunt them any more.

Tom
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/22/2010 5:55 AM

Welcome Mike to the site.

Originally Posted By: Mike Hefner
am I dreaming or has anyone here ever got one with iron sights?
Thanks,
Mike

Bull Elk, Buck Mule Deer, Pronghorn Antelope: YES with iron sight revolvers.

Coyote: Iron sight revolver, NO.

(Muzzle Loader rifle with iron sights, YES.)

Good luck with your dream, Mike. You CAN make it a reality with hard work, perseverance, and patience.

Depending on where you hunt, you may try 100 "calling stands' and only call in a coyote 30 to 40% of the time. Of this percentage, MAYBE 75% will give you a half-way decent rifle shot. And of that same percentage, MAYBE one or two will give you a revolver shot that can be made with iron sights.

JMHO from hunting coyotes professionally for over 15 years during the heyday of top pelt prices. (which is no longer, lol)

So, with the odds against you, go and git 'er done! As Hans Solo said in Star Wars:

"Don't EVER tell me the odds!

PS: As for those "incidental" (luck, happenstance, right place at right time, etc) coyotes taken with iron sight revolvers, that is hugely different. I am talking about you going out and DOING IT DELIBERATELY. Best Of Luck!

PPS: Fowler has threatened to do it intentionally also, and wants me to get out there with him and try to call one in and let him make it happen...

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/22/2010 8:04 PM

Thanks to all for your help...
I'm going to try... I like challanges! Even have a Skinning/Tanning kit all set.
And thanks for welcoming me to your forum!
Mike
Posted By: Night Stalker

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/24/2010 12:03 AM

No but I fully intend to this winter
Posted By: doc with a glock

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/24/2010 3:08 AM

Mike,

Welcome! Years ago (70s),I used to hunt 'yotes with an S&W model 53, 6", 22 Remington jet. Shoot about 50 or so dogs with that gun and a 40 grain Remington bullet. Pelts were worth $40-$100 at the time.

Doc
Posted By: guitarpicva

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/24/2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: doc with a glock
Mike,

Welcome! Years ago (70s),I used to hunt 'yotes with an S&W model 53, 6", 22 Remington jet. Shoot about 50 or so dogs with that gun and a 40 grain Remington bullet. Pelts were worth $40-$100 at the time.

Doc

Are they worth anything any more?
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/24/2010 1:24 PM

I did out of the window of my buddy's truck with my .454 Casull SRH......
Posted By: huntkng

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/24/2010 3:13 PM

Yup, did it wit a Ruger Mk I, 22 LR. It was about 30 years ago...damn I'm getting old. The coyote was raiding my chicken coop. I lived in a rural desert area then. I heard the racket ran out side with my little pistol. He ran out of the coop but slowed to grab a hen that was running in circles. One rushed shot and down he went. It was about a 25 - 30 yard shot and one of the luckiest I've ever made. Just an instinct shot using the front sight as a reference point.

Bill in OR
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/24/2010 4:19 PM

I got one with my Glock 23C a few years back. I wasn't hunting coyotes at the time just happened to be at the right place at the right time.
Posted By: doc with a glock

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/25/2010 4:57 AM

guitar,

I haven't pelt hunted yotes for some years. I have no idea what they are worth now. In the 80s the Russians dumped a bunch of fur on the market and the bottom fell out.

Doc
Posted By: Mitch1352

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 08/25/2010 5:07 AM

I did one at 35 yards with an iron-sighted Ruger OM Blackhawk in .44 Special. Hit the 'yote with a 250 grain Keith at about 950fps. Walked past my deer stand just before dusk. Shoulder hit, dead coyote.
Posted By: j _hill

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 09/21/2010 8:21 PM

Got a few with iron sight revolvers- just kinda by chance though. SBH 7 1/2" .44 @ about 15 yards (factory cast 200 gr. rnfp) on a big coyote at a gut pile, just happened to be driving by and he didn't run off soon enough. Got two with my 6" .357 blackhawk- one at about 25 yards and the other (couldn't do it again to save my life) at about 110 yards. Both of those taken with 158 gr. cast swchp and 14.0 gr. 2400.
Never have carried a revolver while calling but it sounds like fun.

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 09/23/2010 8:26 PM

Thanks for everyone's help!
Since posting this one month ago I've had the barrel and front sight replaced under warranty by Heritage and started learning how to shoot. The gun is right on but I sure need practice.

I'm confused about trigger control. Should I place the middle part or very tip of my trigger finger on the trigger? I am shooting low with both the 22 and 9mm... sure seems like technique.

I built a solid tri-pod which I am using with a small stool at the range so as to simulate actual field conditions.
Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: sixgunner454

Re: Anyone ever get a Coyote with iron sights? - 09/27/2010 1:10 AM

I shot a grey fox once with a iron sighted 4 5/8 blackhawk 357 at about 80yds, blew him off his feet and never twiched! I couldn't believe what I saw! I'm still trying for my first handgun coyote.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums