Handgunhunt

Small dot sight

Posted By: Recoil

Small dot sight - 09/27/2010 12:03 PM

I've been toying with the idea of getting a small light dot sight such as a Burris FastFire or Leupold DeltaPoint. Are there any other competing types? Any opinions or experiences concerning the ones that I mention? My farsighted eyes do not do well with iron sights anymore. I was thinking that one of these small dot sights might be just the ticked for a handgun that I might use for protection against an angry bruin.
Posted By: mikefrompa

Re: Small dot sight - 09/27/2010 10:39 PM

Recoil, from what I understand, Ultra Dot is the one you are looking for.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Small dot sight - 09/28/2010 12:31 AM

I have an Optima on my Bisley 45, which I really like. They are long discontinued but you can find a used one now and again on auctions or classifieds. The J-Point is much like it and would be my choice for a new one.
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Small dot sight - 09/28/2010 10:06 AM

I can identify with your problem. Without special prescription shooting glasses I can't focus on iron sights anymore. I've fitted JPoints to both my SRH .454 Casull and my Glock. Stands up to 454 recoil and being slide mounted on the Glock. I'm very happy with them. Not optically perfect but quite functional. Also not as precise as a scope but faster. Easy to use in low light conditions when iron sights wouldn't be usable.

Re: Small dot sight - 09/28/2010 11:57 AM

Interesting that you would mention a .454 SRH because that is the firearm that I was thinking about mounting a dot sight on. I might give a JPoint a try.
Posted By: TJCMO

Re: Small dot sight - 09/28/2010 1:13 PM

Recoil, take a look at the Trijicon red dot. I have one on my Freedom Arms 454 and it is holding up just fine.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Small dot sight - 09/28/2010 1:50 PM

Originally Posted By: mikefrompa
Recoil, from what I understand, Ultra Dot is the one you are looking for.

I agree as I believe there is no tougher red dot-type sight on the market. They can take an incredible beating. But I think he is looking for a small unit and not a tube-type sight.
Posted By: Mike S

Re: Small dot sight - 09/28/2010 2:48 PM

I Just Put a Leupold DeltaPoint on a Ruger 44Mag,
So Far Its Fantastic,
I Had a Gilmore Red Dot Several Years Ago, Man Am I Kicking
Myself for letting it go !!!

Re: Small dot sight - 09/28/2010 3:11 PM

Whitworth is correct I have a small version in mind. I appreciate all of your inputs on this guys.

Recoil
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Small dot sight - 09/28/2010 4:59 PM

I have J-Points on my .475 L and my .500 WE; they work fine.

The mount for the Ruger Single Shots was discontinued, but are available for Ruger double actions, which should work for the Ruger SRH.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1a.php

Scroll down to #JPA-RR.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums