Handgunhunt

Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project?

Posted By: Snyd

Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 3:55 PM

I'm looking for a SRH 454 Cylinder. I figure if someone was looking to have a custom SRH Bigbore done, maybe we could work something out on purchasing a SRH 454 together. I'd get the cylinder and you'd get the rest. If interested shoot me a pm and we'll talk.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 3:58 PM

All of this sounds so familiar.....LOL!

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 5:41 PM

If I can't find a 454 cylinder, at some point I just may have to buy a 454 Alaskan, send it to Bowen and have him make one of these.....
The Real Super Redhawk by Bowen

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 6:10 PM

But you do plan on building one of these, correct?

After deer season I will start playing with this one more.....

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 6:38 PM

That's my hope. I screwed up on a Gunbroker auction last spring and lost a 454 Cylinder. I haven't seen nor heard of one for sale since and I've been looking. I've contacted Bowen and others looking for one but no luck yet. Actually RonEgg over at Rugerforums got it. I bid but the buy it now was still there and he bought it. But, he may still let me have it if his "secret project" doesn't work out.

I sure like the looks and idea of the Redhawk barrel on the Super Redhawk Alaskan frame the Bowen does. That SRH dual spring action and flexibility for other grips is appealing for sure. One of these in a 454, 475 or 500JRH??? whooeee!!

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 8:56 PM

I too like the action and the grip frame better on the SRH and that is why I've based two of my customs on SRHs. I am exceedingly happy with the outcomes!
Posted By: dc74

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 10:21 PM

got my SRH JUST THIS YEAR AND LOVE IT IT HANDELS SO GOOD IT POINTS ITS SELF .mite be thinking 475 in one soon.
Posted By: 460Encore

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 11:00 PM

I thought of making my 4 inch 45 Colt Redhawk into a 454 Redhawk. I am not going to cannibalize my 454 SRH to do it though. I might just go out and buy me a 454 Alaskan SRH though.
Cylinders for Redhawk are a bit hard to find.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 11:02 PM

I thought of making my 4 inch 45 Colt Redhawk into a 454 Redhawk. I am not going to cannibalize my 454 SRH to do it though. I might just go out and buy me a 454 Alaskan SRH though.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 11:06 PM

whitworth did it and does like it. but yes no what you mean lol still want a 475 in SRH get one costum bult. so i am on the lookout

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 11:16 PM

dc74, I'm not sure what your plans are but, there is a SRH 454 for sale for 550 on rugerforums. If you buy it I'll give you 150 bucks for the cylinder/extractor.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=101129&highlight=454

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 11:20 PM

have to look at that i do have a guy here PA that has a 480 trying to get it for $ 400 hes thinking on it.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/17/2010 11:58 PM

Cool. Well anyway, if you end up with a 454 cylinder let me know.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/18/2010 12:01 AM

you got it snyd and thanks for the heads up on the 454.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/18/2010 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: 460Encore

I didn't really cannibalize it as I converted the .454 to .500 Linebaugh and put the left over cylinder to good use!
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/18/2010 1:24 AM

Whit, I hear drums in the back ground... ... ... ...

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/18/2010 5:52 PM

i really like the 454 u had done whitwhorth. and going to get one in 475 soon as got the bread. like to have 6.5 in barrel

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/18/2010 5:56 PM

Originally Posted By: TCMan
Whit, I hear drums in the back ground... ... ... ...

LOL!!

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/18/2010 5:58 PM

Originally Posted By: dc74
i really like the 454 u had done whitwhorth. and going to get one in 475 soon as got the bread. like to have 6.5 in barrel

That should be an evil piece! Maybe I should do a .475 on a Redhawk as well......I'm a masochist of the highest order!

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/18/2010 6:03 PM

lol yea need to come up to PA hunt bear with me .. bring one of them great cannibal guns up whit..

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/18/2010 9:00 PM

Originally Posted By: dc74
lol yea need to come up to PA hunt bear with me .. bring one of them great cannibal guns up whit..

Just might have to take you up on that!

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/18/2010 10:59 PM

any time whit be a great hunt i no the mountains good here.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/19/2010 12:41 AM

Thank you, sir!
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/19/2010 2:51 AM

460Encore or Whitworth,can you make a .45 SRH into a .454 Casull?I'm just curious,if you use the heat treated cylinder I understand that would take the stress but what about the frame and so on,just curious cause I always thought the frame had to be heat treated also-johnw.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/19/2010 3:08 AM

454 is on the SRH frame. The cylinder is already heat treated as well. What they are essentially doing is putting the SRH cylinder on the RH frame. Or at least that is how I understand it.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/19/2010 3:17 AM

Originally Posted By: TCMan
454 is on the SRH frame. The cylinder is already heat treated as well. What they are essentially doing is putting the SRH cylinder on the RH frame. Or at least that is how I understand it.

That's exacty right.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/19/2010 4:15 AM

Ya, the 454/45 Colt SRH cylinder and barrel are made from Carpenter Custom 465 Stainless. Here's an article that tells all about it.
http://www.cartech.com/techarticles.aspx?id=1608

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/19/2010 12:47 PM

Wolf!!!!!!!!!!

"Ruger made a cylinder from Custom 465 stainless, then fired 50 proof rounds from each of six chambers (total 300 rounds) at 92,000 psi. This is about 50% higher stress than that produced under actual firing conditions. The designers repeated this firing cycle numerous times and noted that the cylinder successfully withstood all of the proof firing without a scratch or sign of defect anywhere."

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/19/2010 1:54 PM

Yes indeed they are tough as nails!
Posted By: jwp475

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/19/2010 2:21 PM

I have had 2 Redhawk's in 44 mag converted to 454. IME they work vry well

I believe that Andy Cannon was the first to do this mnany years ago

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 11/19/2010 2:28 PM

Originally Posted By: jwp475

I have had 2 Redhawk's in 44 mag converted to 454. IME they work vry well

I believe that Andy Cannon was the first to do this mnany years ago

I know this was the practice and I never heard of any strength issues at all.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 01/31/2011 11:11 PM

Just an FYI...

I spoke with Mark Hartshome at Pinnacle High Performance about converting a 4 inch 45 Colt Redhawk into a 454 Casull. He stated that he would not take on the task unless it was a Super Redhawk.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/01/2011 7:28 PM

Question about the conversion. I read the link about the barrel and cylinder material for the SRH. In it there is mention that the barrel needed a better material to deal with forcing cone erosion. I am wonder what Ruger uses for material on the RH barrel, and whther any of you that have done this have seen issues with the forcing cone?

This whole process has me intrigued. Also wondering if there is any place on the net where the steps and results of this process are in greater depth, and perhaps consolidated.

Thanks,

Craig

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/02/2011 6:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Bearbait in NM
Question about the conversion. I read the link about the barrel and cylinder material for the SRH. In it there is mention that the barrel needed a better material to deal with forcing cone erosion. I am wonder what Ruger uses for material on the RH barrel, and whther any of you that have done this have seen issues with the forcing cone?

This whole process has me intrigued. Also wondering if there is any place on the net where the steps and results of this process are in greater depth, and perhaps consolidated.

Thanks,

Craig

Yup, you can read about it right here on this forum!
http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/81137/page/3#Post81137

I did the swap a couple weeks ago. As far as the barrel/forcing cone goes, I'm not too worried about it. I don't plan on shooting 1000's of rounds of 62000 psi 454 loads. If a guy researches this you'll find that when Ruger was designing the 454 SRH the 410 steel met the margin of safety for shooting 454 Casull loads (62000psi). Just not their margin of safety for their proof loads 93000psi! In typical ruger fashion the overbuilt another one!

Bowen makes custom bigbores on SRH Alaska frames and cuts the barrel shroud off at the frame thus it is basically the same frame as the Redhawk except for the action. He has also "fit" the 454 Ruger cylinders into the 45 colt Redhawk frames. He prefers to custom fit his 5 shot cylinders though.
Posted By: wizzard

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/02/2011 3:43 PM

Does Ruger, or anyone offer cylinders and barels instead of having to part a gun out?
Whitworth, I sent you a message.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/02/2011 9:33 PM

Originally Posted By: wizzard
Does Ruger, or anyone offer cylinders and barels instead of having to part a gun out?
Whitworth, I sent you a message.

You can't buy the parts from Ruger. But, if you send a SRH 454 to Ruger without a cylinder, they will put a new one in it for you. I considered doing that with the donor gun I had. Not a bad price either. They told me approx $200 including return shipping. The other option is a custom 5 shot conversion.

I ended up selling my SRH donor gun and the 45 Colt cylinder to a guy who wanted a 45 Colt only SRH. He's gonna chop it to 4.5 inches.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/02/2011 9:38 PM

Just an FYI...

I spoke with Mark Hartshome at Pinnacle High Performance about converting a 4 inch 45 Colt Redhawk into a 454 Casull. He stated that he would not take on the task unless it was a Super Redhawk.

Was he referring to a cylinder swap or reaming a 45 Colt cylinder?

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/03/2011 12:08 AM

i must be backwards! I have the SRH in .44 and I'd like to get a non fluted cylinder for it. An ideas?
Posted By: guitarpicva

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/03/2011 1:27 PM

i must be backwards! I have the SRH in .44 and I'd like to get a non fluted cylinder for it. An ideas?

Bisley cylinders are non-fluted. Maybe Ruger would fit one for you.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/04/2011 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: guitarpicva

Bisley cylinders are non-fluted. Maybe Ruger would fit one for you.

Wouldn't work in a Redhawk or SRH, turns the wrong way. You can fit Redhawk cylinder in a SRH and vice versa with a little work but a SA cylinder won't fit a DA.

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/04/2011 1:19 AM

I would give Huntington a call. He has made cylinders for the RH and SRH.

http://jrhgunmaker.com/

Or Bowen.

http://bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/gallery1.html
http://bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/1917_r1_c1.htm

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/04/2011 3:31 PM

Thanks TC.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Anyone looking to do a SRH bigbore project? - 02/05/2011 8:19 PM

Snyd,

Thanks for the link. I had seen that one, as that got my interest in the first place. I even went out and priced the cost of two new guns, to see what that would be like. Put the 45 Colt on the snubbie SRH and put the 454 on the longer RH. Wink Wink. While I would have zero interest in a snubbie 454, I could see keeping a snubbie 45 Colt. I thought that perhaps there was a place where metal, issues, fit etc. had been thoroughly hashed out.

I did not fully understand nor appreciate the differences in the Bowen conversion v. your method, and the additional reading cleared this up, as well as barrel and frame material. After reading about things, and pondering, I kind of came to the conclusion that you clarified. As any gun I would try and make would have the shorter barrel, why on earth try and run FA mega loads through it, or 200 grain jacketed 460 type loads (not actual 460 data but the concept, light and fast). As I tend to the heavier weight bullets, running slower (and likley to be hard cast)it seemed any forcing cone issues could be mitigated by proper handloading and bullet selection.

I am no where near financially fit to try this, but at least with the info now if I see some of these guns in my travels, I can now reflect upon possible use. I dearly love my FA, but a double action 454 that is not as butt ugly as the SRH (sorry folks) that has more "svelt" lines like the RH has always made me want more. I would want a gun in a barrel length of something more than 4, up to about 6, and this conversion fits the bill.

I also got my head around the grip frame differences between your conversion and the Bowen, and understand this now. I think I would prefer the modularity of the SRH grip, but as I have done my own grips before, I could probably fashion RH grips that would work for me. Seems to be a major complaint for that platform.

Thanks again for your help here, and sharing your conversion process.

Craig
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums