Handgunhunt

need advice

Posted By: phonejack

need advice - 01/31/2011 5:40 PM

brand new to handgun hunting, and need opinion. my normal 44 mag load is w/240 hardcast at 925fps. would this be enough for 150 lb. deer at ranges less than 60 yrds or do I need something with more oomph?
Posted By: wizzard

Re: need advice - 01/31/2011 6:17 PM

Welcome phonejack! You're about to set off a real debate on your first post, lol, but that should do it. Personally, I'd like something a little faster (assuming the 925 fps is at the muzzle). Of course, shot placement is important so practice up if you aren't already and have fun.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: need advice - 01/31/2011 6:41 PM

I too prefer more of everything -- bullet weight included, but that load should work fine as long as you do your part.

Welcome to the forum!
Posted By: Ernie

Re: need advice - 01/31/2011 8:47 PM

If you put it in the vitals, it will die with what you describe.
Big game does not wear kevlar vests with armor plating inserts.
Welcome to Handgun hunting.
Ernie

Originally Posted By: phonejack
brand new to handgun hunting, and need opinion. my normal 44 mag load is w/240 hardcast at 925fps. would this be enough for 150 lb. deer at ranges less than 60 yrds or do I need something with more oomph?
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: need advice - 01/31/2011 9:33 PM

Welcome to the forum!
I agree with the others. You hit it in the lungs & miss the shoulder you will have a half inch hole al the way through the critter.
That said, I also agree with Whitworth. I like a bit more velocity for tissue disruption, & a heavier bullet in case bone gets in the way.
That said, good placement with a light slow bulet is better than poor placement with a heavier faster one.
Practice all you can & have fun!
Posted By: the terminator

Re: need advice - 01/31/2011 10:17 PM

FWIW, that is 455 ft/lbs of energy, at the muzzle. Less than a .357 magnum. More along the lines of a 44 Special load.

I just ran it on isnipe, it shows 414 lbs at 60 yards, however, I did not know what the coefficient for the 240 gr. load was, so, I used .2, which is probably not accurate at all. A higher co-ef. will give a lower energy. (I think)
Posted By: phonejack

Re: need advice - 01/31/2011 10:45 PM

thanks guys, that will work
Posted By: mete

Re: need advice - 01/31/2011 11:06 PM

That is only a warm 44 special load. Another 300 fps would do better.If the problem is recoil a lighter bullet such as a 225 JHP at 1200 would be better.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: need advice - 01/31/2011 11:25 PM

Welcome to the forum phonejack!

It will work, but i would rather have a 300 gr. doing 925fps than a 240. When shooting cast, i put more stock in the weight of a bullet than i do the speed.

As far as ft/lbs of energy in a revolver shooting cast bullets, thats pretty much a non issue for me.
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: need advice - 02/01/2011 12:08 AM

This is going to go 5 pages, that load will work with good shot placement at moderate ranges. push them faster, you want a cast bullet to keep right on truckin through no matter what it comes in contact with.
Posted By: Fowler

Re: need advice - 02/01/2011 2:18 AM

The MOST important thing is to hit the deer in the vitals, do that and it will die.

If you drive your bullet faster you might get the deer to die a bit quicker but it could be hard to prove. If the added velocity and recoil makes you shoot with less precision then you are not doing you or the deer any favors.

You are trying to kill a 150 pound deer after all not a big bear or buffalo after all. They are not that tough, poke a hole in their lungs and it will die.

Power without precision is worthless...
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: need advice - 02/01/2011 4:17 AM

Quote:
normal 44 mag load is w/240 hardcast at 925fps

Thats more of a 44 Special load, but it will work. I like at least 1,100 FPS with whatever, 45LC to 480 Ruger. More is better, as long as you can shoot it accurately.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: need advice - 02/01/2011 4:19 AM

I've shot 3 deer in the last 2 years using a 44 special & 250 gr cast slugs at almost the exact velocity you mention, none of them stayed on their feet over 5 seconds. That velocity is adequate, more velocity gives you more range, it really doesn't do a whole lot as far as killing. Deer aren't real tough with good hits.
Move up to big deer or perhaps elk & bear & you have to play with a different set of rules.

Dick
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: need advice - 02/01/2011 5:59 PM

Put your bullet in the right spot with your listed velocity and he will go down...
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: need advice - 02/01/2011 8:21 PM

John Taffin and Brian Pearce have used loads at 850 f.p.s. As long as you can put her in the boiler room your load should work fine.
Posted By: mikefrompa

Re: need advice - 02/01/2011 10:15 PM

I would use something with a little more velocity though. 1100-1300 f.p.s. would do nicely. Speed kills!
Posted By: Muddy

Re: need advice - 02/01/2011 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: sixshot
I've shot 3 deer in the last 2 years using a 44 special & 250 gr cast slugs at almost the exact velocity you mention, none of them stayed on their feet over 5 seconds. That velocity is adequate, more velocity gives you more range, it really doesn't do a whole lot as far as killing. Deer aren't real tough with good hits.
Move up to big deer or perhaps elk & bear & you have to play with a different set of rules.

Dick

And there is your answer phone jack! Welcome to handgun hunting! It will become a sickness.
Posted By: Al in OK

Re: need advice - 02/06/2011 3:23 AM

You brought up a can of worms. I'm new to HG hunting also, but in my stubborness, I have to say I favor shock value over pass thru. Passing thru is fine, but I like to knock the living tar out of them, if I can't hit 'em in the head. I don't like trailing them, so I love head shots, but am positive that will be much more difficult with a pistol. Good luck, and welcome.
Posted By: wtroper

Re: need advice - 02/06/2011 12:48 PM

"Shock" is primarily a product of velocity. you will not get high velocity from a revolver. Hunting with a revolver takes a totally different mindset. It is mostly about penetration --- a hole on each side. That is the reason that so many of our members here are "hardcast" fans --- pentration. Using a "low velocity" revolver round is more akin to bow hunting than it is to rifle hunting.

That said, I have hit animals (deer sized) with a revolver and they moved 18 inches -- striaght down. However, that is unusual in my experience unless you hit the neck or spine. Those can be small, sometimes iffy targets. A better approach often is to put one through the boiler room and he will not go far. However, IMHO it is important to have an exit. A better blood trail to follow.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums