Handgunhunt

Possible New Hunting Handgun???

Posted By: KRal

Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 2:54 PM

What's everyones thoughts on this new handgun?

Could it actually be use as a viable hunting tool?
Posted By: Al in OK

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 3:18 PM

It would definitely make fun bird hunting, but I don't think it would do much in 45 LC, because you have a lot of dead space in the cylinder. Afraid you'd lose a fair amount of pressure from the wheel before it even hits the barrel. I plan to get a 410 barrel for the contender for turkey. What a challenge! Turkeys are tough.
Posted By: wizzard

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 3:20 PM

that's a 28 gauge so it wouldn't shoot .45's, or anything else. Would be nice to have though.

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 3:24 PM

What gauge is that? It looks like it says 28.

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 3:28 PM

Ah, now you're really talkin' fun bird hunt. Too bad it probably won't have a choke tube option.
Posted By: minnesotahunter

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 5:05 PM

I read on another site that this gun will not be made because of legal issues.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 5:42 PM

It is 28 ga. Taurus introduced it at the SHOT show. I believe they are calling it the "Raging Judge".

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 5:59 PM

Originally Posted By: minnesotahunter
I read on another site that this gun will not be made because of legal issues.

I believe they're already on the shelves.

It is a 28ga....called "The Raging Judge".
Posted By: ELarsen

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 7:05 PM

I see Wage on the wabbit hunt !
Posted By: Gary

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 7:49 PM

Another solution in search of a problem.
Posted By: Lefty372

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 7:51 PM

BATF has already nixed it.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 8:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary
Another solution in search of a problem.

Exactly!

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 9:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Lefty372
BATF has already nixed it.

I was curious as to how they were producing this in the first place; due to NFA laws and definitions. This was why I posted it here; I knew someone would know some news.
\:\)

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 10:02 PM

This was on a blog that I seen.Don't remember the website. I'm at work, if I think about it I'll post the link when I get home tonite. BATF showed up at Taurus booth and rained on their parade.
Posted By: the terminator

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 10:30 PM

FYI, 28 gauge is .55 caliber. Hmm, wonder what a slug would do, if a deer came right under your stand.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 10:35 PM

I always heard it was a 54 cal...

Although .01 isn’t hat much of a difference. LOL

It also could be who is making the chamber...

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 11:05 PM

You know what! It is just a matter of time until someone gets some muzzle loader balls or conicals... see where this could be headed? BTW, it might also be a smootbore, and that might help to make it legal.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 11:11 PM

A 28 gauge handgun should be illegal under the National Firearms Act, without special registration and tax. Of course, that's a new law, and perhaps the word hasn't gotten around to everyone. It was only passed in 1934.

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 11:16 PM

Looks like Lefty372 is right.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/01/25/big-gun-short-lived-taurus-28-gauge-revolver/
Big gun, Short lived. Taurus 28 Gauge Revolver.

On Friday night Michael Bane told me that BATFE visited the Taurus booth at SHOT Show and declared that the 28 gauge revolver was in fact a SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun), not a handgun...

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 500WE
A 28 gauge handgun should be illegal under the National Firearms Act, without special registration and tax. Of course, that's a new law, and perhaps the word hasn't gotten around to everyone. It was only passed in 1934.

Exactly.....I can't understand why they would even try to market this gun. There's got to be someone with that company that's not educationally challenged!

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/03/2011 11:33 PM

That's where I seen it.They should of known better.
Posted By: TJCMO

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/04/2011 1:58 AM

OOPS, Someone at Taurus dropped the ball. They should have checked the legality of the gun before they even made the prototype.
Posted By: llhunter

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/04/2011 3:27 AM

Yeah but how awsome!!! That makes the little boy in us all jump with joy!!!
Posted By: RioHondoHank

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/04/2011 1:13 PM

I have never actually read the law, but have been told that it does not say a shotgun handgun is illegal. Instead it states a smooth-bore handgun is illegal, so if it has rifling it is legal.

There have been .410/45 Colt handguns around for a long time. The Judge is not the first. Most are single shots except for the BFR.

Edit: Info on National Firearms Act of 1934

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act#Categories_of_firearms_regulated

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/04/2011 2:16 PM

Originally Posted By: RioHondoHank

I have never actually read the law, but have been told that it does not say a shotgun handgun is illegal. Instead it states a smooth-bore handgun is illegal, so if it has rifling it is legal.

There have been .410/45 Colt handguns around for a long time. The Judge is not the first. Most are single shots except for the BFR.

Edit: Info on National Firearms Act of 1934

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act#Categories_of_firearms_regulated

Here are two extracts from your link:

Short-Barreled Shotguns

Short-Barreled Shotguns are defined as shotguns which have a barrel length less than 18", or an overall length of less than 26". As with short-barreled rifles, this term refers to any firearm made from a shotgun as defined.

Any Other Weapons

........A shotgun with barrel length less than 18 inches originally manufactured as a handgun without a shoulder stock is also an AOW..........

Thus makes the Judge 28 a NFA weapon. This judge does not fire an alternative cartridge in .550 and only fires shells.

Notice I said it's a NFA or (title II) weapon; not an illegal weapon. You can legally own a title II weapon with the paying of the $200 Tax and $5 transfer tax.

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/04/2011 2:54 PM

I believe that a shotgun is defined as smooth-bore. Also why would not a 28 ga slug be defined as an alternate caliber? Nothing says a handgun caliber cannot have a paper or plastic case. I am sure that Taurus has lawyers that understand the law better than us.

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/04/2011 3:21 PM

I believe that a shotgun is defined as smooth-bore. Also why would not a 28 ga slug be defined as an alternate caliber? Nothing says a handgun caliber cannot have a paper or plastic case. I am sure that Taurus has lawyers that understand the law better than us.

Your exactly right. But, the NFA also state that any weapon over .500 caliber is a destructive device; which is a Title II weapon. Only if the weapon can be proved to be a viable sporting or hunting weapon; it is then that it's not a title II weapon. BATFE is who determine that. If Taurus was marketing the judge 28 as a hunting revolver; for turkey; upland game bird; etc., it may have not been an issue (and still may not be an issue); but instead, marketed it as a personal defense weapon; we'll have to wait and see what BAFTE rules. For the reason I've stated here: hence the title of this post "Possible new hunting handgun".
This is all just food for thought; not trying to start an argument or sharpshoot anyone.

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/04/2011 4:02 PM

It could also be used as a big game handgun with slugs.

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/04/2011 5:39 PM

Could be.....
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/05/2011 4:05 AM

It could also be used as a big game handgun with slugs.

I think we have that area fairly well covered.
Posted By: fuji

Re: Possible New Hunting Handgun??? - 02/15/2011 9:50 PM

I would think that Taurus should have known the law. But free press I guess and just because they can't sell it here they may sell it else where. If I lived in Mexico City or Camden Nj I'd want one!

I tip my hat to Taurus. They have really shaken up the revolver market in the last few years. I didn't think the Judge would sell like it has, but who am I. For a company that is known as a S&W "clone" they now have S&W cloning them. haha

Joe
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums