Handgunhunt

Ga handgun hunter roll call

Posted By: Boot

Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/16/2012 4:51 PM

Hey Guys, most the folks I know, look at me all kinda weird when I mention hunting with a handgun. The fellas at deer camp all hunt with rifles, and I'm getting lonesome. So I was thinking, if you're from Ga, and dont mind, how bout posting where in the state you hunt, and maybe some of us could get together for some range time, and swap stories, or ideas. Apparently, there's not as many handgun hunters as I figured there'd be. I live in Henry Co , and I hunt just south of Thomaston, on a small lease. Took my first handgun deer there last year. She was a decent size doe, but I'm hoping for a nice buck this fall. Also making a trip to the mtns, to try for black bear. Who's next?
Posted By: barryp

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/16/2012 7:28 PM

I live in Gwinnett county and hunt in Washington County just across the line from Hancock County. I plan on using a handgun some this year for the first time in 32 years of deer hunting!
Posted By: 7dawg9

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/16/2012 8:17 PM

I'm trapped in the ATL, but hunt in Harris and Talbot counties. I'll be using a TC 7-30 Waters for GA whitetails, and a Ruger SBHH 44 Mag for Colorado elk and bear.

I'd also like to get some good gunsmith recommendations from y'all.

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/16/2012 8:34 PM

Hogleg Smith up in Gainesville is good, also David's Gun Room in Buford

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/16/2012 8:36 PM

Sorry, David's Gun Room in NORCROSS
Posted By: i.hunt

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/16/2012 9:54 PM

I'll be hunting on my Nephew In-Laws Family farm this November with my Smith 460 Mag.... hope to get a good buck or a hog..... about an hour from Winder, Ga not sure of town name the farm is in....
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/16/2012 10:56 PM

I live in the northeast corner of the state. I hunt National Forest near my house and WMAs across the state. I have been handgun exclusive for 18 years. I don't have any other handgunners in my circle of friends. I would like to get together with some new friends.
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/16/2012 11:14 PM

I made a mistake in my first post. My wife, who is a member on this site(PinkTC)will be headed to Wyoming with a handgun this fall. She is my best hunting buddy,is absolutely deadly with a rifle, and has a couple of handgun kills in the past. If anyone is on the GON forum, you should look up PinkTC there. I think you will be impressed. WE would love to meet some fellow hunters.

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/16/2012 11:18 PM

Absolutely! I'm sure there are more of us in Ga, and I think it'd be pretty cool to have a "meet and greet" at a range, or something, where we could all make some new friends, and benefit from other's experience. I myself, am still new to handgun hunting, as this will be my second season, and have learned a bit from trial & error, but I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge and info out there for me.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/17/2012 10:49 PM

Don't live or hunt in GA, but travel and work in GA frequently. Would love to meet up with some of our fellow handgunners for some range time or a cup of coffee and some lies!

Shot in Resaca at Chestnut Mountain outdoor range this week with fellow forum member Darrell H.

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/18/2012 12:15 AM

SChunter, a coffee break, and some exaggerations are definitely in order! Ol' Darrell is a top notch fella, ain't he? I wish there were more handgun hunters out there some days, and some days, I kinda like being the odd fella. Lol. It would surely be good to meet more of y'all, and have a good get-together. I'm hoping the group hog hunt turns out well, and we all get to go.
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/18/2012 12:44 AM

Hello, my name is Darrell H and I'm a Georgia handgun hunter wanna be.
\:D

I live in Ellijay and I hunt a couple of small tracts of private property as well as the Rich Mtn and Cohutta WMA's.
Posted By: Mitch1352

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 08/21/2012 3:15 PM

I live in Gwinnett County and hunt in Monroe County near Smarr. I started with an SSK-barreled .375 JDJ in a G2 about 8 years ago and haven't looked back. The guys at my club looked at me like a space alien when I showed up with my Contender, until I reappeared with an 8-pointer on my 4wheeler. Between that and a 6.5 JDJ, they just sit and mutter.
Posted By: rugernut

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/13/2012 2:22 PM

I'm in Newnan, GA now. Just moved down from KY. in June.
Posted By: 7dawg9

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/13/2012 3:11 PM

Originally Posted By: rugernut
I'm in Newnan, GA now. Just moved down from KY. in June.

You're close to some of the best deer hunting in Georgia. I hope you find a good lease or club. Some of us on here might be helpful in that regard.
Posted By: kdiver58

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/14/2012 3:05 AM

I live in north Fulton county and hunt in Lumpkin county .
Posted By: EricS

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/14/2012 4:30 AM

Hello,
I Live in Brooks county near Valdosta. I hunt Lowndes, Cook, Echols, Brooks, and Lanier counties. I also like to take a camping/hunting trip on our wma's about once a year but it doesn't look like it's happening this year. If I take a rifle to the woods now it's because I am hunting as someones guest and the rifle never gets loaded. I would also like to meet more handgun hunters. The most handgun hunters I have seen in one place in GA was at cumberlands primitive weapons hunt that also allows the use of modern handguns. I would say at least 10 of the 25 or so people I met there were handgun hunting.
Posted By: Landrum

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/15/2012 1:52 PM

I have a cabin in Ellijay and have been hunting there for more than 30 years. Can't wait for the season to begin!!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/15/2012 5:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Darrell H

I live in Ellijay and I hunt a couple of small tracts of private property as well as the Rich Mtn and Cohutta WMA's.

Oh, I don't think you qualify as a wanna be, Darrell! You are the real deal!
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/16/2012 1:18 PM

Thanks, I certainly appreciate the vote of confidence Whitworth.
\:\)

Landrum, I'd love to get together and shoot with you sometime. If you're interested, give me a head's up when you're gonna be in town and we'll get together and fire off a few rounds.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/16/2012 2:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth

Yeah....the brown bear nocked you out of the "wanna be" category!
;\)
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/16/2012 2:11 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

Yeah....the brown bear nocked you out of the "wanna be" category!
;\)

100 times over!
Posted By: Landrum

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/17/2012 10:58 PM

Darrell

That would be great! I'm in Ellijay just about every other weekend during spring, summer and winter and every weekend during the hunting season. I even take my boat to Carters and fish quite a bit.
Posted By: broncoman

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 09/21/2012 1:38 AM

i hunt and live in jackson county near athens.i hunt with a ruger super redhawk 44 with a scope and 9 inch barrel.
Posted By: dogsbreath

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 10/03/2012 2:18 AM

Hi Guys,
Dawsonville here. I have a friend with 90 acers that backs up to Amacolola falls. I gave up my long guns (other than air guns) a few years back. I've also got a range in my front yard (and a little one off the front stoop, and chase clays in the back yard...) I hunt with .44 mags mostly. Have a t/c with .270 and .454. The .270 is scoped, and I just don't like scopes. I've not bloodied the .454 yet, hope to this year. Holler if you want to do some shooting. I'm always up for some boom theropy.

Dogsbreath
Posted By: Tuner

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 10/04/2012 2:56 AM

Handgun hunter from historic Savannah, Ga. hunting in Chatham County with a .44 Ruger Super Black Hawk Hunter, an old 3 Screw Flat top .44 and a TC Contender. I am the only handgun hunter in my club that has a $10.00 good nature fine for anyone who misses a deer. The charge for me using a handgun is $20.00 because I am so arrognt that I think I caan get one with a pistol. Took two bucks last year, one with the TC and one with the SBBH; no $20.00 charges!
Posted By: capt1949

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 10/11/2012 2:23 AM

Gainesville, Ga. here. Just getting back into hunting after a long recess due to a motorcycle accident. Can no longer shoot a rifle because of a shoulder injury so I borrowed a .35 Rem Contender from my cousin.
Posted By: kweidner

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 10/17/2012 12:37 AM

Jesup here. I hunt Wayne County, Appling, Tatnall, Crisp, Lee, and Sumter. Mostly private lands and of course FT Stewart. I have one other in my circles that hunts with a handgun. I have sold off the contender and hunt with primarily my either my DW 741 in 41 mag 6". or my custom smith 29-3 smithed by McCullough in Alabama. 44 wears an ultradot 30 and the 741 is naked. I also carry my 4.75" SBH in 44 mag from time to time.

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 10/19/2012 7:58 PM

Well, another opening day is upon us!! Good luck to all my fellow Ga handgun hunters tomorrow!! I hope you all have a safe and successful weekend!! Post up some pictures and stories of your hunts next week gentlemen.
Posted By: smirker

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 11/20/2012 8:21 PM

Another from Ga.(Augusta)More of a squirrel hunter than any thing else.Love hunting them with revolvers. But will not pass up any chance with rimfire rifles either.
Posted By: snakereaper

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 12/03/2012 3:46 AM

Habersham Ga, hunt where ever the truck takes me and what ever is in season . trying to hunt more and more wiith my handguns. Havent killed a deer in long time with handgun but killed lots of squirals and varments with them.
Posted By: Whit

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 02/28/2013 7:22 PM

I live in Hall county. Hunt mostly WMA and national forest land all over the state. Have land in Harris and Hall that I hunt most of the time.
Posted By: gasixgunner

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 03/20/2013 4:22 PM

Robert Fanucci here. I live in Waycross,Ga. Not many handgun hunters down this way.
Posted By: EricS

Re: Ga handgun hunter roll call - 03/21/2013 3:32 AM

Robert you are correct about not many handgun hunters down here. The most I have seen in one place was at the Cumberland Island primitive weapons hunt. Nice group of guys. Most people down here just think I am nuts for hunting with a handgun.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums