Handgunhunt

VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out!

Posted By: Whitworth

VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 10/21/2012 3:16 PM

Let's hear from the handgun hunters of the Commonwealth of Virginia!
Posted By: Jeffx

Re: VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 10/29/2012 5:15 PM

Ight Din, I guess I'm one.

I hunt here in Virginia. I'm sure me and Whit are not the only 2?
Posted By: bshaw

Re: VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 10/29/2012 5:21 PM

Joining the ranks this year. Been shooting for 53 years but have never hunted with a handgun. Purchased a Smith 500 a few months ago and am setting it up for whitetail. Loading the Barnes 275 gr. hollow points using H110, have a very accurate load running around 1600 fps that I think will work well on whitetail. Glad I found this site.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 10/29/2012 7:29 PM

Originally Posted By: bshaw
Joining the ranks this year. Been shooting for 53 years but have never hunted with a handgun. Purchased a Smith 500 a few months ago and am setting it up for whitetail. Loading the Barnes 275 gr. hollow points using H110, have a very accurate load running around 1600 fps that I think will work well on whitetail. Glad I found this site.

That load should work like a charm!

Re: VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 10/31/2012 12:23 AM

I thought so, but glad to hear it from someone who has more experience in this game. I had some real concerns about hitting a whitetail with a full power magnum load.

These loads with 41g of H110 behind them are positively civilized.

Re: VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 11/07/2012 9:35 PM

bshaw,

Like Whit said that shud work like a charm...I love the Barnes Bullet they give the animal such a hydro shock its unreal. I shoot the .275 gr in my .460 S&W Encore and have had great performance on game animals with the bullet. Good Luck I hope you get a big 1...

Re: VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 11/08/2012 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeffx
bshaw,

Like Whit said that shud work like a charm...I love the Barnes Bullet they give the animal such a hydro shock its unreal. I shoot the .275 gr in my .460 S&W Encore and have had great performance on game animals with the bullet. Good Luck I hope you get a big 1...

I am a big fan of the Barnes bullets, I also hunt with an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC and use the Barnes 95g TTSX, tagged two deer last year at over 100 yds both neck shots both DRT without so much as a kick

Re: VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 11/08/2012 3:09 PM

Sweet...

Back when the 6.8 SPC first came out I had a 14" protype barrel sent to me by a friend from T/C to try out. I could not find no ammo ,brass or anything... everything was going overseas at that time. He later sent me 40pc of brass he had and I talked to Ty Herring at Barnes and @ that time he sent me 50pc of 110gr TSX that they just finished, but with no load data. I worked up a load and killed 3 deer with the handgun that fall ,all shots around the 100yd mark or so from my tree stand all one shot kills. the 6.8 SPC is a nice short gun round if use right. Good Luck this year...
Posted By: Anniex

Re: VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 11/19/2012 2:23 AM

All y'all
I'm in my 4th year with my T/C 7/30 Waters. Love it!
We've now been to Africa, TX, Michigan, and NC
Am I the only handgun woman in VA?
Hardest whitetail to hunt anywhere
Posted By: gemihur

Re: VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 11/22/2012 11:40 PM

Certified Contender Shooter in the Star City.
Can't seem to find the time to give each barrel it's fair share of range time. So many calibers, so little time.
From the Ridgelines and hillsides of the Roanoke Valley...
Gun control is a two-handed issue.

Jimmy
Posted By: guitarpicva

Re: VIRGINIA handgun hunters shout out! - 01/18/2013 1:41 AM

I'm still kickin' down here in Matoaca! Haven't been on in a while. Life has taken quite a few turns. L-O-N-G story.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums