Handgunhunt

Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag?

Posted By: Matabele

Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/03/2011 7:37 PM

So ive been reading up on this site and others and it seems the 45 has the edge in power and ability to fling heavier bullets than the 44, in guns that can take it. But which calibre is inherently more accurate? I know the 44 can be made to shoot some crazy small groups, can the 45 match that?

I know there are so many variables in a general question like this but Im just looking for some general sort of feedback.

Now just typing the above got me thinking again (I know thats dangerous). In a Freedom Arms revolver with its 5-shot super strong cylinder can the 44 be loaded up to exceed the 45, is there a point of diminishing returns for the 45? Or would the 45 still hold an edge in a FA cylinder?

Thanks!
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/03/2011 8:18 PM

Just depends on the gun, load, and shooter. I've seen both shoot excellent groups. I've had several 45's that would shoot with any 44 I've ever owned

The FA or the 5 shot 45's myself and other builders make are to allow you both to shoot hotter loads and the heavier longer bullets normally seen in the 454. You can keep the cylinder at standard length but it would be kind of a waste. For those reasons the 45 in the longer 5 shot cylinder will have even a larger edge. My thing with the 5 shot 45 is that if you go to that extent of work and cost, unless your recoil shy you might as well go to the 454 and then you can shoot both although I'm a proponent of cartridge specific cylinders in which case you could have both cylinders.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/03/2011 8:24 PM

It is hard to say one is better than the other--there are so many factors--Gun/ammo/ect.--I would say on this one very simply

SAME/SAME
Posted By: 7P's

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/03/2011 8:55 PM

IMO both calibers are equal relative to accuracy but I have always found the 44 magnum to be less finicky than the 45 Colt. You can usually find a couple good 44 loads in a short afternoon. Some 45 Colts take a week or longer.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/03/2011 9:46 PM

I own both. One is a Ruger super Black Hawk 44mag the other a Ruger Bisley HUnter in 45LC. Both are equal in accuracy!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/03/2011 10:15 PM

It all depends on the platform, not the bore size.

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/04/2011 6:34 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, Im a fan of the .44 but I may have to give the 45 a workout some time as well.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/04/2011 7:32 PM

any percieved accuracy difference is due to the differences that ruger either does/or did cut their chambers too. my gunsmith documented "looser" chambers in 45 colt in most blackhawks versus the 44 mag. the difference is that of the guns and not the caliber. both should be fine and plenty accurate. don't be confused though, there's no one in the world that can ever tell if game was shot with a .44 mag or .45 colt. size diff is irrelevant, so is any diff in accuracy.
Posted By: leasongs

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/07/2011 3:32 PM

I recently purchased a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt. I went with that partially for nastalgia ... but, to joke a little, do you want to be John Wayne or Dirty Harry? ;-)
Posted By: Infantryhammer

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/07/2011 5:42 PM

As far as accuracy, they are the same. The big difference is pressure and bullet weight. 45 Colts can do anything a 44 mag can do and then some with bullets over 300 grains, but with 10,000 psi less presure. Then again, I'm a 45 Colt junkie and that makes me bias:-)
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/07/2011 5:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Infantryhammer
As far as accuracy, they are the same. The big difference is pressure and bullet weight. 45 Colts can do anything a 44 mag can do and then some with bullets over 300 grains, but with 10,000 psi less presure. Then again, I'm a 45 Colt junkie and that makes me bias:-)

I share your addiction!
Posted By: 430man

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/07/2011 7:59 PM

I do not understand the question at all. It really baffles me to no end. Both do anything and both are deadly accurate so why a silly question like that comes up-------is, well, just silly.

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/08/2011 2:36 AM

Originally Posted By: 430man
I do not understand the question at all. It really baffles me to no end. Both do anything and both are deadly accurate so why a silly question like that comes up-------is, well, just silly.

You pretty much just said what many of us were thinking ;-)

Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/08/2011 2:39 AM

I hate to be ugly but me-too
Posted By: briarhopper

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/08/2011 2:40 AM

We all started somewhere, and we all have had, or still have, questions that the more seasoned might consider "silly". Nobody was born with this knowledge. But if we cannot ask questions of the veterans and experienced here on this forum without being patronized like that needless post above, where else can we go?

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/08/2011 3:08 AM

Originally Posted By: briarhopper
We all started somewhere, and we all have had, or still have, questions that the more seasoned might consider "silly". Nobody was born with this knowledge. But if we cannot ask questions of the veterans and experienced here on this forum without being patronized like that needless post above, where else can we go?

If it weren't for "dumb" or "silly" questions I wouldn't know nearly as little as I do. That said, I still got a chuckle out of that needless post ;-)
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/08/2011 3:44 AM

I think the only "silly" question is the one not asked! LOL

I think it was hinted upon but never stated bluntly. The 45LC’s “standard” factory ammo isn’t nearly as potent as the 44's. As far as performance goes people forget to take that into consideration.

Comparing comparable firearms, and doing your loading homework, you might as well split hairs. Are there differences, Y-E-S! But I don’t think a game animal in the US would ever be able to tell the difference. Cast, jacketed, depleted uranium... you do your job and both of the cartridges in inquiry will do theirs.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/08/2011 3:17 PM

Yep, I would never even considered purchasing my 45 had it not been for the fact I handload. ANd I would have never learned about the true potential of the 45 had it not been for questions I asked and posts I read on forums like this one.
Posted By: Mike S

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/08/2011 3:45 PM

I have been here for a couple of years.
I KNOW I have asked AAAAAAAAAAALOT of stupid-silly questions
and I have found that most here are willing to help us New to
The Addiction.

I also agree that the only Stupid question is the one Not asked!

Mike S

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/09/2011 12:28 PM

Haha must say I had a chuckle at some of the negative comments here! Thanks for the feedback everyone, and the support its appreciated. But jeez I dont know why some people take things so seriously some times...what I think is silly, is posting in a thread that you obviously have no interest in...there's plenty of other threads or forums out there, why waste your time?

In any even I have learnt some things from this thread, and a heap of other information from asking other dumb questions so I dont intend to stop.

Thanks again everyone, sixgunning is cool!
Posted By: minnesotahunter

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/09/2011 3:17 PM

everyone knows 44s pee on 45s

just like chevys pee on fords

;\)

i think i saw that on a tee shirt somewhere

it's all in fun

oh yeah, and 1911s pee on glocks

don't get me started on 7 08 vs 308.....

let's just whip em out and see who's bigger

hahahahahahahahahahah
Posted By: Infantryhammer

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/09/2011 3:22 PM

Thems fightin' words!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Ok so which is more accurate 45LC or 44Mag? - 05/09/2011 3:23 PM

So, the .45 Colt wins as it is clearly bigger than that pipsqueak .429......LOL!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums