Handgunhunt

.17 squirrel cartridge

Posted By: lamina1982

.17 squirrel cartridge - 06/11/2011 7:27 PM

So i was just doing some web surfing at work today and somehow came across this caliber. Found a nice article on loading and forming brass for it. Has anyone out there have or had a gun in this caliber? What would you think of a pistol barrel for the encore and who would make me one? Seems like an interesting little round anyways.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: .17 squirrel cartridge - 06/12/2011 2:16 AM

I recently had an inquiry on chambering a revolver for either the .17 squirrel or mink. So far I can't find anyone that has tried it and since I don't make my own cylinder blanks I'm having a hard time finding one with small enough pilot holes. The biggest concern from the revolver end is case set back and since I can't find anyone that's tried it in the past I have no idea what the results would be.
Posted By: lamina1982

Re: .17 squirrel cartridge - 06/12/2011 2:43 AM

I did see something about the .22 long snapper in a single six, thats how i ended up finding info on the .17 squirrel-seems like most were rifles though. I thought you'd at least have heard of it wapitrod-the man with the knowledge!!
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: .17 squirrel cartridge - 06/12/2011 3:22 AM

I know slap my hand, you have to give me a little slack though up until a few years ago I wouldn't be caught with anything smaller than 30 cal in a rifle and 44 in a pistol but now thanks to creative customers and all of my friends on here my horizons are being broadened
;\)
I did think about the single six but I don't know that even with the shorter of the two cartridges if the cylinder would be long enough, strong enough or even have enough meat to chamber. It would have to be a 32 H&R frame and cylinder but getting a cylinder with the proper pilot holes is the problem. I'm going to check with the local CNC shop and see what he'd charge me to start making cylinders for me and if it's reasonable then this project may take wings in a Blackhawk.
Posted By: chuck m

Re: .17 squirrel cartridge - 06/12/2011 3:46 AM

You might check out "On Target Technology" I believe he is in the New England area. Also known as "OTT" He made some 17 Squirrel Contender barrels.

chuck m
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: .17 squirrel cartridge - 06/12/2011 4:25 AM

Any barrel maker could chamber it. MGM has it on their list, along with the .14 Squirrel if you got tiny fingers.

http://www.matchgrademachine.com/chamberings_public.php
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: .17 squirrel cartridge - 06/13/2011 10:57 PM

I just wonder how loud that .14 squirrel would be?sounds interesting to me!!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums