Handgunhunt

I Filled out Adoption Papers Today

Posted By: Bob Roach

I Filled out Adoption Papers Today - 08/24/2011 5:30 AM

A few months ago I was at the local gun shop checking out all the goodies. I noticed a new arrival, a clean as a pin Smith & Wesson 29-3, in the 6 Inch version. I got to thinking that I really needed it. What to trade. I decided I could part with my 9.5 Inch 480 Super RedHawk. After all who needs two 480 Super RedHawks anyway? I added $100 to the pot, and made the trade. Well the 29 was really to clean to shoot. Faint turn line only.
Every time I was in the gun shop I would see my old 480 on the bottom shelf waiting for someone to adopt her.
Well today I brought the 29 back in and traded even up for my 480 back. She is back in the shop wearing her 30mm UltraDot warm and cozy in her custom made canvas case.

Bob
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: I Filled out Adoption Papers Today - 08/24/2011 10:23 AM

LOL! Great story! Glad you got your .480 back, but maybe the lesson is that you "need" both......just saying!
Posted By: 500WE

Re: I Filled out Adoption Papers Today - 08/24/2011 10:40 AM

There's a lesson there somewhere ....
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: I Filled out Adoption Papers Today - 08/24/2011 1:11 PM

That story made me all warm and fuzzy inside ;-)
Posted By: minnesotahunter

Re: I Filled out Adoption Papers Today - 08/24/2011 3:06 PM

So really you just "rented" the 629 for a while.

Good story.

MN
Posted By: chico

Re: I Filled out Adoption Papers Today - 08/24/2011 8:06 PM

LOL,to death do us part
\:\)
Posted By: temmi

Re: I Filled out Adoption Papers Today - 08/24/2011 8:49 PM

Very good move...

I may slick up my 480R...

But never traid her
Posted By: junebug

Re: I Filled out Adoption Papers Today - 08/24/2011 11:39 PM

Next time you want to lend her out send her to Kentucky. I promise to keep her warm from the inside. She will just get cold and lonely in your safe.
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: I Filled out Adoption Papers Today - 08/25/2011 1:25 PM

I think I will keep the 30mm UltraDot on the 9.5, and keep it as my hunting pistol. The 7.5 I will probably use for more general purpose, shooting shotshells and the 7.0 grain Unique loads. My truck and UTV gun. I have the Boyt case modified with Dee Rings on the handle for a carry strap. I loop the strap over a couple 1" PVC stakes on the front of my Polaris Ranger bed. This suspends the case on the middle of the seat back.

I figured I could always find another 29, or 629 if I decided I needed one. Now finding another as new 9.5 Inch 480 Super RedHawk in the future might be a little harder to do. I have not been seeing many cheap 480's lately. My theory is that the 480's will keep finding there way into serious handgun hunters hands as time passes. Once they get soaked up by hunters, they will not be showing up for sale nearly as much.
I truely hope Ruger makes another run of them at some point. I still think the biggest problem the 480 has is ammunition cost. When the cheapest ammo you can buy is over $1.50 a shot, that is not helping sales any at all. The 500 S&W is in the same boat. Both are reasonably cheap to shoot, if you reload. Both need some cheaper factory ammo, as well as some cheap reduced power loads for them in my opinion.
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: I Filled out Adoption Papers Today - 08/28/2011 1:30 PM

I had ta get a box of tissues Bob/ya can't be talking all warm and fuzzy like that on here outsiders might get the wrong idea that we're more than just handgunners here-L.O.L.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums