Handgunhunt

Red Dot advice on my S&W 629

Posted By: andycap1983

Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/07/2011 11:15 PM

Hi Everybody! I've recently discovered this site and am loving it! I would like to ask for advice.

I have a new to me S&W 629 6 1/2" that I want to put some type of red dot optic on. My original leaning was to put a micro red dot on (C-More STS, the Burris Fastfire, the Ultradot L/T...). I have no experience with the micro "Heads Up" type of red dot so I want to ask for advice or opinions, positive or negative.

The only red dot experience I have is a tube style Bushnell on a .41 Blackhawk and a tube style Millet on my Mark II.

Thanks,
Andrew
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/07/2011 11:45 PM

I use both styles. It will take a bit of practice getting the dot in the window of the mini-dots quickly, under pressure, as there is no tube to guide your eye. The main thing to remember is to initially get your head down as if shooting irons and then bring your head up until the dot appears in the window. I had a tendency to overlook the sight at first but it comes in beautifully for me now. I took a grouse in the neck with my Bisley 45 with the Optima mini-dot this weekend at 8 yards.

Posted By: mikefrompa

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/08/2011 12:56 AM

Try the Ultra dot. It has a 4 moa dot which is great for hunting. For a few dollars more you can get the one with the multi dot size.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/08/2011 12:35 PM

I've had this 1" Ultra Dot on this 6 1/2" 629 for more than 20 years, and remain very satisfied with it:

Posted By: Darrell H

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/08/2011 12:50 PM

I can recommend the Ultradot:

and the Burris FastFire II:

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/08/2011 8:41 PM

Thanks for all of the advice everybody! Will hopefully be making the decision this weekend.
Posted By: asquires2

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/09/2011 1:14 AM

Its not a 629 but I can vouch for the Ultra Dot. The one I have is the Match Grade Ultra Dot.

Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/09/2011 1:56 AM

Can't go wrong with Ultradot.......

Posted By: dc74

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/09/2011 6:35 PM

x 2 ultradot........have a millett 25mm on 454. been good so far but will see 50 rounds and holding . but i to ordered a ultradot for my 45 going to be pushing it hard.
Posted By: Dave Tarbell

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/09/2011 11:46 PM

Ive got a 30 mm ultrdot on my revolver and dont think there is anything better for hunting.

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/10/2011 9:13 PM

Wow it sounds like a consensus! I did decide to go with an Ultradot L/T. I picked up a lightly used one on ebay so hopefully it will work out! I will definitely post pics after I get the sight mounted.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 11/10/2011 9:29 PM

Originally Posted By: andycap1983
Wow it sounds like a consensus! I did decide to go with an Ultradot L/T. I picked up a lightly used one on ebay so hopefully it will work out! I will definitely post pics after I get the sight mounted.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Excellent! Let us know what you think when you get it!

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 01/31/2012 1:22 AM

I was sitting down at the gun cleaning table today and realized that I never posted any pics of my revolver after I mounted the Ultradot on it. I decided to go with the Ultradot L/T as I wanted to try a "heads up" display as opposed to a tube style red dot. I finally settled on either the Ultradot L/T or the Burris Fastfire and chose the LT because of the ability to change the battery without removing the the site from the base. The battery is held on a "tray" that ejects from the side of sight. It reminds me of a cd or dvd being ejected from the player. That especially is a great feature compared to most of the other compact or mini red dots.

After getting it installed on the gun I liked it right away. I don't really see any real advantage over a tube style dot and don't know which way I'd go the next time but I had never used this style before so I'm glad I tried it out. The sight works great. I like the simplicity of the sight and it seems durable but I haven't dragged it behind the 4 wheeler yet or used it to split kindling.
;\)

Anyways here it is. I'm sure it's nothing that hasn't been posted before but I wanted to make sure I replied with my "review". This site has been so great. Thank you to all who replied with advice for me.

Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 01/31/2012 2:02 AM

Looks good man. Practice a lot bringing it up from the holster or ready position til you get used to the location. I missed a chance at a doe the first time I used mine cause I didn't find the dot in time. They are great once you get dialed in.
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 02/05/2012 2:14 PM

thats a sweet looking setup,that outta be fun on critters!

Re: Red Dot advice on my S&W 629 - 02/05/2012 3:03 PM

That looks great! I'm going to have to try one of those!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums