Handgunhunt

Question for 454 Casull shooters.

Posted By: WyoJoe

Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 7:33 PM

I have been noticing that most of the .454 revolvers have some sort of muzzle break. What is the noise level like when you shoot yours with a muzzle break? I always use hearing protection when target practising but sometimes don't when hunting.
Posted By: 430man

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 7:57 PM

It is BAD and the .454 does not need one.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 8:13 PM

I shot and hunted with two FA's in 454.
One had Mag-Na-Port, the other didn't.
The grip design made the non-ported FA very reasonable to shoot.
Recoil management and tolerances are uniquely an individual thing.
If I was going to shoot one a lot I would have it braked, not ported.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 8:23 PM

i have several and the noise is extreme and very painful, but i find this in most revolvers. not enjoyable to me without "ears" on. that said, the recoil just really depends on the load ya shoot. i've got some really stiff loads that are way up the recoil level, and i've got a few that are just above hot .44's and they are very tolerable. i don't feel i need a break or porting for any of them.
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 8:24 PM

I have a Freedom Arms and a Super Redhawk in 454 Casull, neither are braked/ported and I don't find them uncomfortable to shoot. Anyone wanting to shoot a 454 should first shoot a 475 Linebaugh or an unbraked 375 JDJ. After that,the 454 is a pussycat!
\:D

Due to the cylinder/barrel gap, all revolvers are too loud to be shot without hearing protection IMHO.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 8:28 PM

good thing most ammo manufacturers have toned down their 454 offerings. back when i started shooting it, i had several 240gr factory loads shooting 2100fps, 260's over 1900, 335's over 1600. they were very very brutal. with the 460 coming out most have dropped the velocity by 100-200 fps and the recoil has been pretty significantly reduced.
Posted By: bfr4570

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 8:37 PM

I got a Ruger Redhawk Alaskin. If there was enough barrel on it. It would be ported, braked and anything else that could be done. As far as ear protection. This thing is so loud. I put my muffs on before I load it.
\:\(
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 9:42 PM

Quote:
I put my muffs on before I load it

Now that's saying something ;-)

These things are loud enough, why make it any worse?

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 9:48 PM

One reason I was asking is that I looked at the Taurus Raging Bull in 454 last night. It looks like a good quality gun but is ported.

Never shot the 454 but have done quite a bit with the .44 mag. Also I shoot a .30/06 Encore now. Seems like I should be able to handle the recoil OK. One attraction of the SRH is that it is not ported.
Posted By: dc74

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 9:56 PM

i have super red hawk no port love it hogue grip there no prob.mite want to check out some others first for about the same money ruger/BFR.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 10:28 PM

The SRH with the Hogue Tamers is one easy shootin' platform.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/08/2011 10:49 PM

I have to agree with everybody else. I don't think porting is necessary. I have a FA 83 in 454, 71/2" without porting and I really like it. just my opinion. I am kind of a glutton for punishment when it comes to guns. like them loaded HOT
Posted By: Lefty372

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/09/2011 4:44 AM

No need for porting with the hogue grips. A brake just adds more noise.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/09/2011 5:07 AM

I build Bisley 454's and they aren't bad to shoot at all but that's relative because everyone handles recoil differently. I've got customers I've put brakes on 44's for. The noise will be intense although I shot my deer this year without putting my ear protection on first. As far as the Taurus goes they are better than they used to be but they are still somewhat of a crap shoot in the reliability department. I know the Super Redhawk will set you back a few more bucks but it's more than worth it for the difference in quality. The Ruger is built like a tank and is reliable as the sun coming up.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/09/2011 6:00 AM

"The Ruger is built like a tank and is reliable as the sun coming up."

nicely said

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/09/2011 2:30 PM

Originally Posted By: wapitirod
As far as the Taurus goes they are better than they used to be but they are still somewhat of a crap shoot in the reliability department. I know the Super Redhawk will set you back a few more bucks but it's more than worth it for the difference in quality. The Ruger is built like a tank and is reliable as the sun coming up.

Thanks Rod. I highly value your & the others here opinions. Guess I will stop looking at the Taurus & start looking on Gunbroker for a SRH.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/09/2011 2:44 PM

Originally Posted By: WyoJoe
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
As far as the Taurus goes they are better than they used to be but they are still somewhat of a crap shoot in the reliability department. I know the Super Redhawk will set you back a few more bucks but it's more than worth it for the difference in quality. The Ruger is built like a tank and is reliable as the sun coming up.

Thanks Rod. I highly value your & the others here opinions. Guess I will stop looking at the Taurus & start looking on Gunbroker for a SRH.

You really can't go wrong with the SRH. They are worth the price of admission and generally shoot well.
Posted By: dc74

Re: Question for 454 Casull shooters. - 12/10/2011 12:59 AM

there are some great gun comp out there but my true fav is ruger for the money they ask there doller for doller the best i found.and tuff tuff tuff.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums