Handgunhunt

Finally did it!

Posted By: wapitirod

Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 5:07 AM

I've been talking about the 458 Lott for a while and I had a customer interested so this is where it's at so far. I'm waiting to see if he'll want to make any changes but I mocked it up with the scope and bipod. The barrel is a Bergara rifle barrel cut back to 17" and the 1" radial brake installed. I will be test firing this weekend to see how it performs and if it will make the cut. I'm expecting performance with the 350gr bullet to be around 2600-2700fps. The cartridge on the left is a 458 Win with a 350gr Hot Cor and the other is the Lott with a 500gr Hornady. I plan to fire one or two of the 500's but I don't think I'd want to make a regular practice of it.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 6:34 AM

You sir, are a glutton for punishment ;-)

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 7:08 AM

Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 7:11 AM

Sounds like Rod is looking to redefine the term "punishing recoil"

Ouch, it hurts my wrists just thinking about it.

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 7:12 AM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
You sir, are a glutton for punishment ;-)

Actually my own will be worse, I'm waiting on the welding shop to do some minor filling work for me on a 45-70 pistol barrel which is considerably lighter. Once I get it back it will get rechambered but I don't plan on shooting it much, the Win is more fun than mortal man should have so I'm sure the lightweight Lott will be an adventure.
Posted By: asquires2

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 10:49 AM

That looks alot like my 35 Rem.
Posted By: rlb

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 12:10 PM

That, I think, ah it's just fine looking at. Nice barrel work. There might be a few more rings in order though.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 12:44 PM

Rings on the scope? Oh, I thought you meant more rings on the end of the muzzle break!!!!!
Posted By: WyoJoe

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 3:14 PM

I likes it!!!

Not meaning to hijack your thread but what do you think of the .376 Steyr in an Encore?
Posted By: JCosmoAsp

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 4:34 PM

And I thought the .444 you're doing for me was stout. Hope your calcium level is up to par--bone strength seems in order here.
Maybe I'll have you do my .45-70 into a Lott, although I'm waiting to see if your hands break off first.

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 7:14 PM

LOL! Joe there are at least a couple guys that have the Steyr in the Encore and they really seem to like it. I can't speak from experience as I have not chambered for it yet or shot one.

Re: Finally did it! - 04/13/2012 10:46 PM

Well I just got back from test firing, the weather was marginal so I didn't take the chrono but it will go through a second line of testing. I once read an article on the 500 Max by John Taffin and he said it made him "physically ill". I could never understand that until today. The 458 Winchester loads weren't bad at all and the mid range Lott loads with the 350gr bullets weren't too terrible but when you step up to a full house 500gr it's a different world. I have never in my life been backed up by handgun until today and that 500 did it. Just doing the math this bullet should be going around 2000-2100fps and you feel it. The concussion alone gave me a massive headache which I'm still recovering from and that was with my ear protection. I actually felt sick to my stomach after about 10rds. I'm am rethinking the factory pistol barrel rechambering but knowing me it will be something I'll have to do. This pistol gives up nothing to a 458 Win mag rifle. Although I haven't done any accuracy testing yet I'm sure it will shoot good. I will probably continue to do these rechamberings in the future but I'm also thinking of contacting MGM about purchasing their heavy taper barrels unchambered. I have three cartridges bigger than the Lott I want to experiment with but those will be a surprise whenever I get around to them. I do know one thing, being aware that the brake I installed is cutting recoil roughly in half I couldn't imagine shooting one without a brake like that idiot with the 600NE.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Finally did it! - 04/14/2012 12:04 AM

Have at it my friend...I am recoil sensitive!
Not for me.

Re: Finally did it! - 04/14/2012 12:43 AM

except for your 375 CheyTac but I'm guessing there is a little more weight there and the big shark gill brakes do seem to take a little more sting out.

Re: Finally did it! - 04/14/2012 4:14 AM

Maybe a test subject should be in your near future. Your previous injuries won't put up with that kind of abuse for long.

Re: Finally did it! - 04/14/2012 4:31 AM

I'd like to find some little gangbanger to shoot it one handed sideways
\:\)
it would decapitate the sucker.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Finally did it! - 04/14/2012 10:59 AM

About the physically sick from the concusion. Thats why our military developed their sound cannons as crowd control. They actually used them in Pittsburg a few years ago when they held the G8 summit there. I guess the little anarchists got out of control so they put it to use. Aparently it wasn;t as effective as the newer model they now have.
Did you video tape the test firing? hat would be a neat thing to see here.

Re: Finally did it! - 04/14/2012 9:09 PM

didn't tape it, with the weather being marginal I just concenrated on the functioning of the barrel but if it works out next time I will.

Re: Finally did it! - 04/14/2012 11:04 PM

Quote:
next time I will

Better bring the Dramamine ;-)
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Finally did it! - 04/15/2012 1:33 AM

Yes, most definitely!
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
except for your 375 CheyTac but I'm guessing there is a little more weight there and the big shark gill brakes do seem to take a little more sting out.
Posted By: guitarpicva

Re: Finally did it! - 04/15/2012 12:09 PM

In a word, "NICE!"
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: Finally did it! - 04/16/2012 11:52 PM

Very nice work.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Finally did it! - 04/17/2012 12:25 PM

GOOD LORD!!!

Re: Finally did it! - 04/17/2012 3:59 PM

Rod,
I think you should go a small step before the 600NE and go with a 500NE. Would be a good start for your new test subject.
;\)
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Finally did it! - 04/17/2012 5:24 PM

wow, hope your wrist holds up.

Re: Finally did it! - 04/17/2012 9:14 PM

Actually the 500 is one that's on the board but it may be a little while as I have alot of work to catch up on. As far as the wrist goes it's doing ok but as I've pointed out before, half of the nerves and three bones have already been removed. I need to talk to the people at Ransom and see if they think my rest will handle these big Encores if I get their grip adapter. I'm not sure if it will without modification because the big bore 5 shots I'm doing will max the rest out and hit the stop hard.
Posted By: Dave Tarbell

Re: Finally did it! - 04/18/2012 12:12 AM

That ought to be a fun experience ,at least for the first round.

Re: Finally did it! - 04/18/2012 3:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Tarbell
That ought to be a fun experience ,at least for the first round.

Famous last words ;-)
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Finally did it! - 04/18/2012 4:30 AM

I have GOT to shoot one of those!!!

Can we quit tip-toeing around the subject here, and lets just get to the nuts and bolts...

...Rod, make one out of a 50BMG and let us know what happens!!

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Re: Finally did it! - 04/18/2012 4:50 AM

Thought about but figured it would excede the limits of the frame
;\)
That would be an interesting thing to touch off, once! The cartridges I'm looking at playing with are the 470NE, 470 Capstick (I just saw one in Bellms shop that MGM built), and the 500NE. There are others like the 505Gibbs and the like but those three interest me the most. For those not familiar with the Capstick it's a Lott blown out to .475. If I wanted to repeat what that one guy did with the 600NE first I would install a brake and second I'd have to get a permit from ATF to build it since .510 is the max legal cal in a handgun.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums