Handgunhunt

Trigger Job....

Posted By: asquires2

Trigger Job.... - 05/14/2012 11:55 PM

Flipping threw u tube and ran across a guy doing a trigger job on a Red Hawk, my question is , would it be the same ordeal for any revolver rather it be a single or double action?
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/14/2012 11:57 PM

Yes and no. I'll let Rod describe it.

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: cfish2
Yes and no. I'll let Rod describe it.

LOL Rite on!
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 12:23 AM

depends on what they were showing, changing springs is not a problem for most people with mechanical skills but the issue comes in to working the sears that is where most guys get in trouble. I've seen hammers, triggers and other sear parts on various guns destroyed by guys that didn't completely understand the way the parts work together. Doing one right can be time consuming, it's not uncommon for me to take a gun apart two or three times before I'm happy with where the action is. It's very easy to go too far when removing metal.

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 12:54 AM

I'm familiar with that concept Rod. While building one of my Aks I took the Tapco double hook trigger and tried to lighten and smooth it out. I tookit down just a little to far. She occasionally rocked and rolled when she wasn;t supposed to so back to a new Tapco and a little less dremeling. LOL!

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 2:28 AM

Rock and Roll is cool unless the men in black and driving suv's with tinted windows catch you
;\)

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 3:04 AM

Rite on for the info Rod. For now I think Ill leave the gunsmithing to the gunsmiths.

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 3:07 AM

Oh come on a little dremel here a little dremel there, ya actually good idea. LOL!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 3:35 AM

I don't know about a Redhawk, but I smoothed out a couple rough spots on my GP100 trigger. It is not all that difficult provided you can discern where the problem is. My SA's are simpler in design, but I haven't done much more than a spring change with them.

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 4:05 AM

A simple polishing will smooth them out it's when you get into taking the creep out that things can get dicy. Springs and polishing will go a long ways. On the old model Contenders I just polish the contact points to a mirror polish but I make my own trigger return springs and I install a check ball on top of the spring instead of the normal flat topped cup and then I add a Bellm aftermarket hammer spring. The G2's while a simpler action take more to get right. Old model Rugers are a whole new ball game and Colts and clones are even different from the rest but I can tweak them all. Auto's are a whole different ball game again but the basics are all the same, reduce spring tension, shorten sear engagement surfaces, and polish the surfaces as smooth as possible, if I get one too light often times I can take the mirror polish off and it will gain me a few ounces which is how sensitive they can be.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 4:17 AM

It is definitely not 'dremel' type work. I can't believe some of the things I see folks perform (u-tube), and yet there are those that follow in their footsteps. Dumb and dumber.
Posted By: mike.44

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 7:08 AM

Looks like another spammer!!!

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 12:26 PM

Been getting a lot of those lately.
Posted By: 430man

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 3:32 PM

Originally Posted By: wapitirod
depends on what they were showing, changing springs is not a problem for most people with mechanical skills but the issue comes in to working the sears that is where most guys get in trouble. I've seen hammers, triggers and other sear parts on various guns destroyed by guys that didn't completely understand the way the parts work together. Doing one right can be time consuming, it's not uncommon for me to take a gun apart two or three times before I'm happy with where the action is. It's very easy to go too far when removing metal.

There you have it. The gun is not easy, leave it to someone with experience.

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 430man
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod

There you have it. The gun is not easy, leave it to someone with experience.

That was the game plan! I thought about picking up something to tinker with even if its to see what the insides look like but outside that Rod is the go to guy.

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/15/2012 11:49 PM

That's not a bad idea if you can. I am not stingy when it comes to helping others learn. I know alot of guys in the business that won't give you the time of day when you bring up doing your own work but I'm not that way and that is why I also really like Mike Bellm and Jack Huntington. Technically I'm the "competition" to both of them but they both know realistically I'm not going to have an effect on their business's and it's like Bellm told me, "what good is to have all this knowledge and take to the grave with me". If any of you were to ask me for guidance I'd do the best I could to walk you through it. We all have to learn and I'm not one for stifling someones enthusiasm to learn about things I can help with just for my own ego's sake or because if I don't I might get an extra job. I learned a long time ago that if I help people with the stuff they feel comfortable with trying then they will feel comfortable with letting me do the stuff they aren't. That went in the automotive industry just as it does in gunsmithing.

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/16/2012 2:13 AM

Spoken like a true soldier! So if I find something to tinker with that means if I mess up , I can box it all up and leave it on your door step, LOL.

Man Im really loving the trigger job you put on my BHH!

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/16/2012 2:54 AM

LOL, yep I'll patch it up for you. Glad your liking it, those factory triggers are horendous, at least most of the new rifles have adjustable triggers but I guess they figure there is a better chance of shooting yourself with a handgun.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/17/2012 2:34 PM

Originally Posted By: mike.44
Looks like another spammer!!!

I took it off.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/17/2012 3:46 PM

Keep on them Mr. Gregg!!

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/18/2012 2:08 AM

Hey Gregg, if you thru a spammer in a lake full of alligators, would they
1. sink to the bottom
2. be eaten by an alligator
3. swimm to the shore

4. be shot in the ass by a bunch of pissed of forum members?
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Trigger Job.... - 05/18/2012 12:29 PM

LOL

He's doing a great job keeping the sight clean!!!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums