Handgunhunt

7mm tcu puked!

Posted By: mingokid

7mm tcu puked! - 08/02/2012 9:25 PM

I was hunting a couple years ago with my 7mm tcu 14". I have reloaded about 15 years but this was my first "wildcat" cartridge. I shot range groups at 100 yds of about an inch while fireforming. Man was I impressed. My first game shot was at 85 yds 120 gr Bt. (With my doubting BIL as witness). Yes, I missed. I tried to reload and could not! The cartridge neck separatedand stayed in the chamber. By the time I used another cartridge to bring out the case neck the 8 pt whitetailhad laughed himself silly with my BIL! My question is, should I have left the overall length a bit longer during fireforming or should I have annealed the case neck ? Mingokid
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/02/2012 11:40 PM

How many firings on the case? Do you full length size each time? How much do you bump the shoulder each time? If you massage it too much it can weaken. I anneal anything that I neck up, or down, significantly.
Posted By: Gary

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/02/2012 11:43 PM

The other question is, was the case unfired when you necked it up?

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/03/2012 12:40 AM

It had only been fireformed brass. Fired and stretched , I think it was fed brass. Prior to that it may have been at most fired once in 223/5.56. I had expanded loaded for fireforming. I usually trim after first 7mm tcu firing. MK

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/03/2012 1:35 AM

They've been through a heat cycle so it sure wouldn't hurt to anneal them.
Posted By: Gary

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/03/2012 2:49 AM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
They've been through a heat cycle so it sure wouldn't hurt to anneal them.
Exactly. Use virgin brass and you won't have that problem.

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/03/2012 3:12 AM

Thanks for the info guys. How often should I anneal? I am leaning toward the drill and close fitting socket method. I know it is another can of worms but what about once fired military brass that has hadprimer pockets addressed?MK

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/03/2012 3:19 AM

My annealing method is pretty simple. Hold the base of the case between your thumb and forefinger while heating the neck/shoulder with a torch. When it gets too hot to hold let it drop into a container of water. One time should do it.
Posted By: bobhanson1

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/03/2012 3:58 PM

Given the price of new .223 brass I would just opt for that and not waste the time/case prep. on annealing military brass. Fireform it in your chamber the first time and it should last you quite a few loadings (and likely more than you would get with once fired/reworked military brass...) There's also the issue of case capacity with the thicker military brass, but I'll defer to one of the 6/7 TCU users on how much difference that makes for ballistics with the two cartridges... Also keep in mind it could be a headspace issue in your gun so annealing might not eliminate the problem completely whereas new brass fireformed to your chamber would.
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/10/2012 11:52 AM

did you only neck size instead of full length sizing?I had trouble pulling cases out and it was harder to insert a case and snap the gun shut when groundhog hunting because I was only neck sizing after fireforming,so I went back to full length sizing and haven't had any issues since-johnw.

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/12/2012 11:10 PM

These were full length resized after fireforming. I haven't tinkered with it since the "incident" but I will get it out soon for practice for deer season in November. I will try some new 223 brass for forming and start over. I sure appreciate all the info. I am enjoying this site! MK

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/23/2012 10:19 PM

I have been reading quite a bit on a few sites, I have learned that I may not have reloaded the rounds to the proper headspace. I believe Mike Bellm may be the most insightful and educated person I've encountered about TC's! MK.
Posted By: bobhanson1

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/24/2012 2:24 PM

If I read your first posts correctly you were using a fireform load that separated upon firing in which case you likely had little control over the headspace. If you want rounds that perfectly match your chamber you make your fireforming loads with new brass (so it's only stretched once and conforms exactly to your chamber.) When loading the projectile you seat the bullet long so it takes a brisk snap to close the action, and fire it. Upon firing the bullet lodged in the rifled prevents the case from sliding forward when the firing pin hits it, which then causes the case to have to stretch back to the breech face. If you're necking down to a smaller diameter you can instead create a false shoulder in the neck to do the same, but that wouldn't apply in your scenario. I've done this method with many of my wildcat rounds and not had any issues with case separations as a result as you stretch the case just once, and set your dies to just bump the shoulders back enough on successive firings so the case still chambers. Bumping it too far back causes excessive stretching on firing and can lead to the same situation you had.

You can also use the cream of wheat case forming method, but you can potentially get excessive case stretch with this too depending on how radical your final case dimensions are...

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/25/2012 2:30 PM

These were full length resized after fireforming. I think now that I may have bumped the new shoulder back a bit too much. I plan on only touching the shoulder and reload normally from there. If that doesn't work I have a 30/30 super 14 on the way, and a 7mm08 15" for my encore as well. I am covering all bases on this one for this season! LOL. I will still be able to use all my supplies and still tinker with the 7mm tcu. If not, I have had several offers for the super 14 7mm tcu and dies. Mingokid
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/25/2012 3:09 PM

Mingokid, have you smoked a case with a candle yet to set your dies?

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 08/25/2012 5:47 PM

Used a marker, I will try candle soot next session. I appreciate the ideas.. Mingokid
Posted By: LouisB

Re: 7mm tcu puked! - 09/03/2012 4:09 AM

Federal Gold Medal 223 Brass??
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums