Handgunhunt

Freedom Arms Question

Posted By: rbros

Freedom Arms Question - 04/23/2013 10:11 PM

If you were going to order a Freedom Arms 454 with the intent of puting a scope on it, would you order without sights? Will be a 7.5" barrel. I have shorter barrel packing guns, so this one I figured would wear an optic.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/23/2013 11:18 PM

Sights....
Posted By: sc1911cwp

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/24/2013 1:27 AM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Sights....

Yes to sights. Good Shooting.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/24/2013 3:05 AM

I have a 7.5" w/o sights and a 10" with and I do like the nice clean look of the gun w/o sights but it would hurt the resale value, should you ever choose to sell it. The gun can always be sent back to get a sight installed too. I would prob go with at least the front sight installed if I was ordering a 7.5" gun.

Here is one w/o iron sights.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/24/2013 11:10 AM

If I was going to order one that would be designated for optics, I would go without the front sight. I really like the clean look and I think it may actually help resale and set yourself apart from the other used FA's out there...

Who would want to sell one anyway?
;\)
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/24/2013 12:11 PM

I have ordered several without sights, that I intended to leave with optics only. I prefer that look when scoped, and saved some money in the process
Posted By: rbros

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/24/2013 4:08 PM

Gary,
Your pic above was the one that had me questioning myself. I like the clean look of it for sure. I am not to worried about the resale, I rarely sell my personal guns. If I did, it would sell with the optics on it anyway.
Posted By: sc1911cwp

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/24/2013 6:25 PM

Just remember, if the scope gets broken your without a gun.

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/24/2013 6:36 PM

True but unless you're carrying tools and a rear sight and have either counted your turns or are otherwise prepared to re-zero before hunting, then it doesn't really matter. If I'm going someplace on an extended hunt then I carry a spare scope with tools to swap it out - that's a lot easier than switching to irons if the scope breaks. Knock on wood - I've never had a scope break.

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/24/2013 6:53 PM

Originally Posted By: rbros
Gary,
Your pic above was the one that had me questioning myself. I like the clean look of it for sure. I am not to worried about the resale, I rarely sell my personal guns. If I did, it would sell with the optics on it anyway.

Then I would say go with the one you think looks the best. I'm all about aesthetics.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/25/2013 1:37 AM

Don't laugh, I always take an extra gun on a hunt. So for me that would not be an issue.
Posted By: linebaugh

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/25/2013 1:43 AM

Originally Posted By: TCTex.
Don't laugh, I always take an extra gun on a hunt. So for me that would not be an issue.

I actually think that's a good idea. It's a lot better then having to give up a hunt because of a broken firearm..

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/25/2013 3:58 PM

I too always have 2 guns, a belt gun and a scoped gun.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/25/2013 4:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary

Me2
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/25/2013 6:19 PM

I must not look at these pictures. I must back away from the Internet. Gary, why did you post that picture. Now ya got me and my wallet squirming. Beautiful gun. I really like the looks without the front sight.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/25/2013 6:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary

Yep - sometimes I have backups to my backups...hence the post about stuffing as many guns as you can fit in a long gun case in the Airline handgun thread. I've arrived at the ticket counter to look like my gun safe vomited into my Pelican
\:\)

Sorry for the tangent!
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/26/2013 12:21 AM

that is good SC!
hahaha

I always bring a backup gun too even if it is a "relatively short" trip. just some added piece of mind in case that bastard Murphy shows up
;\)

I like the look of the clean barrel, but when I ordered mine, I admit i didn't even think of that as an option. I do like the idea that I could trap the irons on though if I felt inclined too.

If you plan on keeping it forever i would do like Gary said though, because you are the only person you need to please with it.

I like the quote from David Petzal I once read... "Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun"
Posted By: junebug

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/26/2013 6:04 AM

The clean look is ok,but it always looks wrong, like they forgot something.A revolver to me has to have a front sight to look right.
May be i'm just old school but I want that front sight. Its like having fried chicken, without mashed taters,and green beans without the sight,good but not quite right! Always carry a spare gun,[ expect the best, but prepare for the worst] Murphy is alive and well!!!!!!!
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/26/2013 6:14 AM

Originally Posted By: junebug
The clean look is ok,but it always looks wrong, like they forgot something.A revolver to me has to have a front sight to look right.
May be i'm just old school but I want that front sight. Its like having fried chicken, without mashed taters,and green beans without the sight,good but not quite right! Always carry a spare gun,[ expect the best, but prepare for the worst] Murphy is alive and well!!!!!!!

X2 but with that being said you have to go with what you like
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 04/28/2013 2:24 AM

When I rebarreled my 454 to a dedicated 10" octagon, they left front off and put a nice inverted crown on the oct barrel. It looks really sharp to me.
Posted By: magman

Re: Freedom Arms Question - 05/09/2013 2:08 PM

I'd go sightless, much cleaner look.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums