Handgunhunt

Fabbed up a new plaything today.

Posted By: s4s4u

Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/22/2013 1:57 AM

Paper tells the tale, but steel is more fun.

Gonna set this up @ my 50 yard berm in the back yard. The big plate is 10" square, about the size of the chest of a big game animal. When placed @ 50 yards, the 4" "head" will be comeasurate with a 125 yard shot. The 8"er equates to 62-1/2 yards and the 6"er to 83-1/3 yards, relative to the 10" fifty yard chest target. Sure to be fun.
Posted By: rlb

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/22/2013 2:10 AM

Cool. Nice work. I want the next photo to show some missing paint on all targets.
Posted By: linebaugh

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/22/2013 4:11 AM

Very nice little target vehicle. I agree, there's nothing like the report of a steel hit:)
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/22/2013 7:13 PM

What did you make the frame out of and can it be broken down for transport?

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/22/2013 8:21 PM

Quote:
What did you make the frame out of and can it be broken down for transport?

The frame came from a trampoline. Had enough pipe to make 4 of them up, but the other 3 have just a single 10" plate in the middle. They lie flat, but taking them apart would be a chore.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/24/2013 12:12 PM

Cool.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/24/2013 2:49 PM

Now that is neat! Nice work!

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/24/2013 4:46 PM

A view from the side. The hangers are made from 3/8" thick conveyor belt material that I found at the local landfill, must have come from the rock quarry. Tough as hell and should take many hits. The 3/8" thick AR500 plates have about a 10 degree lean to deflect downwards. They sent me a 1/2" thick, 6" plate by mistake.

Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/24/2013 5:12 PM

S4,

From a guy with a big pile of assorted portable steel targets, that looks fantastic. I am still not happy with what I have. The conveyor belt material looks pretty good, and probably a lot easier than carrying extra chains. Not sure how heavy the frame is, but you might consider taking a few tent stakes with you to pin the front bar to the ground. Wondering if the plates have enough swing to end up with a couple swung back and causing a tip over. I bet that belt material does damp pretty quickly, which would be great.

Craig

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/24/2013 6:13 PM

Quote:
Not sure how heavy the frame is, but you might consider taking a few tent stakes with you to pin the front bar to the ground.

I have made some angle braces for it that should keep it standing up. I also filled the bottom pipe with sack-crete to give it some ballast. Hope to give it a workout soon.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/24/2013 6:26 PM

Rod,

It sounds like you will get the work out ;^) Looking forward to your range report. real curious on the belt material and "just swangin' "

Craig
Posted By: wtroper

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/24/2013 8:43 PM

From one who has constructed and shot many swinging metal targets --- the best material that I have used to hang them is simply 3/8" cotton or nylon rope. Shoot it and it breaks, but it only takes a minute to tie it back.

I had about 60 swinging metal targets permanently setup on a little range on my ex-wife's place (that she has since sold with my targets -- LOL) If your material does not work to your satisfaction, try a piece of rope.

With the rope they will really swing when hit with a sizeable bullet. It is fun to get them to swinging and then plan the shot so that the next impact stops the swing.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Fabbed up a new plaything today. - 07/25/2013 12:20 AM

Nice work, get to smackin.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums