Handgunhunt

Will Glocks shoot?

Posted By: reflex264

Will Glocks shoot? - 08/28/2013 12:51 PM

I just worked over a 21 for a friend that was shooting 4" groups as is. Not accepible. After mods.......

Yep it did this offhand. I sighted it in then put shots touching in the bull. reflex264
Posted By: Charlie SA

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 08/28/2013 2:02 PM

What "work" did you perform? BTW, nice shooting!
Posted By: Scienceguy

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 08/28/2013 2:29 PM

Wow nice job! I also want to know what kind work and what kind load.

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 08/28/2013 4:56 PM

Trigger group, striker and sear clean up, guide clean up ad Dawson sights. Thanks guys. reflex264
Posted By: Charlie SA

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 08/28/2013 5:58 PM

Looks like the Dawson sights are the way to go.

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 08/28/2013 7:09 PM

Here is the rear I use. So far the ones I have dealt with that had problems shot low. Using this rear with a .315" front .100 width with the optic insert fixes them right up. reflex264

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1710000-1093363057
Posted By: TOBY458

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 08/28/2013 9:28 PM

Are the factory sights hard to remove? I had a Browning High Power one time, and removed the sight. It was pure hell getting that thing off!

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 08/28/2013 10:29 PM

Not really. They can be driven out if you are careful or removed with a sight press.reflex264
Posted By: TOBY458

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 08/28/2013 11:06 PM

I've never owned a Glock, but I had a Springfield XD Tactical 45 awhile back, had tried to find an adjustable sight for it. Then I ended up buying an Ed Brown Executive Target and sold the XD. I still have a slight "want" for a Glock 20 though. Having an adjustable sight option might make me take the plunge.
Posted By: 7P's

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 08/29/2013 11:46 AM

Tell the truth Reflex264 - why did you stop at 3 and not go for 5???

My son-in-law has the slim Glock 21 and put in different trigger springs and it now breaks around the 3.5 to 4 pound area and from a rest at 25 yards, it will do 2" with about any ammo you want to feed it. Of course, with a little less than perfect gun handling, we can open those groups up to about 4"s no problem.

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 08/29/2013 12:39 PM

When I get done with one I always shoot a 3 shot group before adjusting sights. I cranked the sights over to the right after this group and hit the edge of the target. Two clicks over and two clicks up and shot 3 more and it repeated this group. I shot it about 20 times after that and just cleaned out a hole in the paper about 1.5". I have come to expect this from better examples of glocks after tuning. I have seen some that won't do it with the factory barrel. After tuning any factory barrel gun should go at least 2". reflex264
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 09/16/2013 1:08 AM

I've never seen a Glock in 45 that wouldn't shoot very well at 25 yards. Their 45s are very accurate with no mods at all. We mounted a 4x Leupold on a few one time just to see how they would do and all would shoot one hole from the bench. Quite impressive considering how cheap and reliable they are.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 09/16/2013 1:11 PM

Ive shot em in competitions for over 20 years. Never knew there was accuracy questions. The typical thought was ya could win 2 ways. By a 500 dollar glock or. 2k custom 1911. Ueah they shoot

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 09/16/2013 3:15 PM

Occaisionaly you run into one that the frame guides don't ride perfectly in the grove on the slide and some terrible triggers. Some need nothing. I know it is hard for some 1911 shooters to believe that a plastic pistol will out shoot their custom 1911 but I see it on a regular basis. I have noticed that the stock Glock 34 now dominates practical competition. All this said I still like 1911s. They have a certain class about them that only the Browning HP rivals.

Glenns-which mount did you use? I am thinking about setting up another 21 in .45 Super and scoping it. I have looked at the Carver and it looks like a quality piece. reflex264
Posted By: 7P's

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 09/16/2013 9:08 PM

Originally Posted By: reflex264
I know it is hard for some 1911 shooters to believe that a plastic pistol will out shoot their custom 1911 but I see it on a regular basis. reflex264

I'll say this reflex - there are many individuals shooting plastic pistols that will outshoot individuals using their "custom" 1911's but it has nothing to do with the pistol - it has to do with each shooter's ability to shoot. Custom anything has different meanings to different folks - and with my "custom" 1911, it has only one meaning - accurate to a fault.

You don't find many Glocks, if any at all, on the line in NRA Conventional Pistol 2700 Matches. Not that one couldn't be used but I doubt you'll find many that will shoot better than the average "custom" 1911 on the line.

Personally, I don't recall shooting a Glock that was not accurate and I haven't had the pleasure of shooting one that was "accuracy tuned".

Re: Will Glocks shoot? - 09/16/2013 10:54 PM

7p's, I agree that most of the nice 1911s will out shoot their owners and I am certaily not dissing 1911s or their owners. I had a Springfield that had all the bells and whistles and it just matched my custom 21SF. I have a good friend that shoots Bullseye and was a member of Team Springfield (High Master). That pet 1911 gun of his is a match for any gun and he knows how to opperate it. It comes down to the nut behind the trigger. My personal feeling is that a well set up Glock is the better hunting pistol but thats just my opinion.

I have shot some 17s that right out of the box with FMJ plinking ammo would put 10 shots in an inch at 25 yards off of bags. I have also ran into a few (mostly 1st Gens) that were at best 3 shots in 3" at 25 yards off of bags.

Most of the "inaccurate" Glocks are a 45.00 trigger change away from being "accurate". Some of the triggers are OK and some are like the worst cap gun you can imagine. I got some loading data from a Camp Perry winner for .45 ACP and put a Storm Lake barrel and a trigger job on a 21SF that would shoot 1" at 50 yards.

"Personally, I don't recall shooting a Glock that was not accurate and I haven't had the pleasure of shooting one that was "accuracy tuned".

I am going to start a thread about tuning Glocks mainly for hunting. While most of them shoot "good enough" out of the box stepping up power and adding a few goodies makes them into a realy accurate hunting tool. I am gathering info right now before I start the thread.

© 2024 Handgunhunt forums