Handgunhunt

Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454

Posted By: Hawkeye

Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/08/2014 5:38 PM

I found a FA Premier Grade 454, brushed stainless, 5 shot, rosewood grips, open sights, 7.5" barrel at a pawn shop. It has been shot some but the cylinder barely has any rings in the chambers from shooting. No discoloration on the cylinder. It has a few scratches or marks on the barrel but very tight lock up and good trigger pull. I don't have an up to date blue book on these and was wondering if anyone would have a ball park figure what I'm looking at to get into this revolver. It has been there a while. He is asking $1900.00 which is about $700 or $800 more than it cost new.
Any help would be great- I'm really wanting to get this for hunting.
Another thing-are there scope bases out there made for this pistol? It has the adjustable rear sight that looks like it would have about a 2' channel in the frame when the sight is removed.

Mike
Posted By: mike.44

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/08/2014 6:45 PM

I just looked on Gunbroker and saw a Premier Grade with Leupold scope for $1800. You should be able to get your LGS to come off that. Freedom Arms lists that gun new for $2534. Hope this helps.
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/09/2014 12:19 AM

I left you my thoughts on SP. He's way high bud. Most I've bought were in the 1200 range and were like new and one was never shot actually.
Posted By: freedom475

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/09/2014 3:39 AM

Brand new premier grade 83 475L at my LGS for $2049 and they always deal for a few dollars less.

I love Freedom guns,but don't forget that there chicken $hit warranty policy depreciates the value of your premier revolver $500 the second you drive it off the lot.
\:\(
Posted By: zac0419

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/09/2014 3:52 AM

Originally Posted By: GlennS
I left you my thoughts on SP. He's way high bud. Most I've bought were in the 1200 range and were like new and one was never shot actually.

I think the days of the $1200 Premier FA are gone, most are bringing higher prices these days on GB. There is (or was last week) one on GB for like $1900 with a Leupold scope and extra 45 Colt Cylinder. That's $5-$700 worth of options included.

I agree ^^ $1900 for what you described is high.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/09/2014 4:01 AM

they are so backed up at the factory, that may be driving the used market prices up
Posted By: KRal

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/09/2014 6:12 AM

I'm my opinion, that's to much. Shop around and you can find a better deal. One reason the prices are like they are on used guns now is due to the Obamanzition.

The rear sights removes and it's ready made for several mounts of your choice: Leupold, Lovell and T'SOB are a few that are most commonly used.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/09/2014 6:31 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
Obamanzition.

Most definitely... and that is why instead of 12 WEEKS for a new 83, it is 12 to 13 MONTHS when I talked to Mr. Baker this summer.

pretty wild, but so is the fact that we can't find 22 ammo lol
Posted By: sc1911cwp

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/09/2014 8:11 PM

There are other options out there. Cabelas Gun Locker, ARMSLIST, GB, CALGUNS to name a few. No reason to pay that. Just put in "Freedoms Arms, For Sale" should bring up some. That's what I do. Yes, you can remove the rear sight on models equipped with one and put in a base. Lovell and SSK (T'SOB} made one.
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/09/2014 8:38 PM

The 1200 deals are still out there, just have to be looking and in the right place
\:\)

Explain to me the $500 depreciation post please??
Posted By: PythonHunter

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 1:16 PM

Agreed, but I think that the other key is to have the cash CLOSE. It may be a quick opportunity so have the money ready.

PH
Posted By: Gary

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 2:08 PM

The latest BB lists it at 2k for 98%. Condition is the most important factor in what a gun is worth. Yes, there are some guns out there for 1500 or so but most at that price are not clean or are older or field grade guns. Some older guns don't have the threaded firing pin assembly. That costs about 150 plus shipping to have it retrofitted. 1900 isn't a smoking deal but it is a fair price depending on the condition. Maybe offer 1700 and see what happens if the gun is in great shape.

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 2:12 PM

Originally Posted By: GlennS
The 1200 deals are still out there, just have to be looking and in the right place
\:\)

Explain to me the $500 depreciation post please??

FA only honors there warranty to the "original" buyer....they will not warranty there guns!! This is a very poor policy, Smith&Wesson, Ruger, even Taurus doesn't bend you over on the warranty like FA does! Every one else stands behind there guns, it does not matter who bought it or when.

So when you buy a FA you pay $500 extra to purchase this warranty...but this does not follow there guns to the next buyer...so there revolvers depreciate $500 in value the second that you send in that warranty card.....yeah that sux!! But it is FACT
\:\(
You will not sell your used FA for anywhere near your purchase price...(even if you never fired it)

You said it yourself...you can find a used FA for $1200...it is easy to find a used FA for $1500, but they cost $2000+ new.

Now don't think that I dislike FA's...There is no better revolver made in my opinion. They are extremely accurate and made with such precision, they will spoil you!! It is just a Shame that there warranty policy is such a "slap-in-the-face"

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 2:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary
The latest BB lists it at 2k for 98%. Condition is the most important factor in what a gun is worth. Yes, there are some guns out there for 1500 or so but most at that price are not clean or are older or field grade guns. Some older guns don't have the threaded firing pin assembly. That costs about 150 plus shipping to have it retrofitted. 1900 isn't a smoking deal but it is a fair price depending on the condition. Maybe offer 1700 and see what happens if the gun is in great shape.

Gary, I guess BB hasn't looked at any of the auction sites lately??? Or even many stores..

You can buy a brand new, in the box, Premier Grade FA w/warranty for 2K!

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 3:14 PM

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest but I think you're exaggerating a bit with the $500. The list price difference between a field grade gun and a premier is $200 to the dealer and the premier comes with custom fitted wood grips, a higher level of polish, and an upgraded rear sight. Those differences are easily worth $200 of shop time and probably more in reality.

As far as warranty's go, take a look at Magnuson-Moss Act and throw in some product liability law and you may understand why the warranty is the way it is. Ruger does not provide a written warranty. Smith & Wesson does not provide a warranty either, it's a lifetime service policy only to the original owner.

Next time you see a $1200 Premier Grade FA83 that is 98% please let me know.

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 5:03 PM

Sorry, I don't mean to sound so harsh.

I love my Freedom Arms. Am working on getting another...I think an 83 in 44mag is in order.
Might try the round butt grip this time.

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 5:10 PM

The 83 in 44 is awesome. I have a 4 3/4" gun and it's very accurate. A scoped 7.5" would be awesome.
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 5:24 PM

Funny you should mention this Gary; I just received a FA Model 83 in .44 Mag. with 7 1/2 inch barrel. Fitted a Bushnell Elite in a Lovell mount. It is very accurate; No, it's extremely accurate. And so far I'm just shooting factory stuff. Headed to the range now to test more ammo. Weather is finally improving. cheers

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 6:15 PM

Now this is getting exciting!! Please post pics of your tests Mark. You guys are going to cost me a LOT or money..lol
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 8:18 PM

Hmmm...a 7.5" 44 with a Bushy Elite...shooting factory ammo at silly accuracy for a production gun, sounds familiar! Mine loves the factory Hornady 240 XTP's. Deer and hogs don't like it.

Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 10:36 PM

Dandy buck; good hog! Looks like you got her dialed-in.
Posted By: Hawkeye

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/10/2014 11:45 PM

Thanks for all of the comments. Keep them coming. I may take a pocket full of cash with me the next trip tot he Pawn Shop and see just how interested he is in selling the FA.
I never spoke to the guy or even acted like I was interested. I just gazed in the cases and this one caught my eye. I did do a double take to see the caliber.

Mike
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/11/2014 4:47 AM

BTW, i've had great results with FA doing warranty work on my guns that i wasn't the original owner on. a little nice chit chat, and a completely unmodified gun and i've always been pleasantly surprised at the service. the turn around time is insane. smith, not so much. john and bob and FA can look at a gun and tell if it was tinkered at all and i'll tell ya, i got a friend that is a pretty crusty guy. he got NO good response from them, he was rude and very very demanding. i bought the gun from him, i'm the 3rd owner. i called and had a nice chat about some mods i wanted done. they did alot extra to spiff it up and charged me about 1/2 price.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/13/2014 4:08 AM

I too have gotten great service from Freedom Arms. Can't say nothing but good things about them. I own seven, so that'll give you a little idea of what I think about them.

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/13/2014 3:50 PM

Originally Posted By: wheelguns
I own seven, so that'll give you a little idea of what I think about them.

Me too...
\:D

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/13/2014 4:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary
The 83 in 44 is awesome. I have a 4 3/4" gun and it's very accurate. A scoped 7.5" would be awesome.

I have one in each barrel length (4.75"& 7.5") and I'm quite fond of both...

Gary,
Would love to see some pics of that new 5.5" octagon 475 you've got.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/14/2014 1:52 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal

I have one in each barrel length (4.75"& 7.5") and I'm quite fond of both...

KRal - I keep waiting for you to tire of the shorty so it can come N...

Mike - keep us posted on the "negotiations" with the pawn shop. By the way, I'm fond of the FA's in the .454 flavor too...as evidenced by the three (gulp) in the safe. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?
;\)

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/14/2014 2:58 PM

Originally Posted By: SChunter

KRal - I keep waiting for you to tire of the shorty so it can come N...

You know my philosophy on selling FA's.
\:D

By the way, the only way my FA's can find their way North is if I'm leading them; they have bad sense of direction.
Posted By: Badubet

Re: Need info on Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 - 03/15/2014 5:20 PM

A few years back a purchased a FA 454 -7 1/2 premier grade with magna-port from a estate sale sight unseen. When I got it had some marks on the finish and the screws that hold the grip frame on were buggered up. Like someone had worked on it. Took it to the range and the cylinder jammed up and wouldn't rotate. Gunsmith 'freed' it up and filed some on the pawl. Said it should be good. Jammed up on next shot. Sent it to FA and they fixed it. Replaced the jacked up screws and I'd swear it looked like they refinished the premier grade finish for no cost or questions. They even paid the shipping both ways. Never had another issue with the gun and it shoots great. I'm assuming that the previous owner himself or someone 'worked' on the gun and that's why it needed repair. Their guns and service are nothing but first class in my opinion.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums