Handgunhunt

case trimmer recommendation

Posted By: nytracker

case trimmer recommendation - 03/22/2014 1:57 PM

Been all over the net and through the forum. I am in needd of a case trimmer for pistol cartridges and rifle. I am not one who likes to buy things twice. I dont mind paying for quality ... but would like to have some money left over to buy more powder. I see some that dont require shell holders and others that require shell holders for each caliber. I would have to buy shellholders for 5 calibers thats an aditional 60 bucks for some trimmers. Looked around locally and theres not much to choose from outside of the lee hand trimmers and would have to order my calibers as shop didnt have any. Any suggestions apreciated thank you.
Posted By: doc with a glock

Re: case trimmer recommendation - 03/22/2014 2:54 PM

tracker,

Take a look at the new Lee Quick Trim.

http://leeprecision.com/quick-trim/

I recently purchased one and appropriate dies. Inexpensive, works great! It is not "universal" in the sense that it can be adjusted for any case trimming chore ( must have the die for the cartridge ), the only drawback.

Doc
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: case trimmer recommendation - 03/22/2014 4:01 PM

I like the RCBS unit, although you do have to buy plates for certain caseheads like shell holders. They are not too spendy though. I had a Redding that has an adjustable "chuck" that fits everything but I had a time at times getting the cases in consistantly and it is more time consuming than the quick change RCBS.
Posted By: Mech 8

Re: case trimmer recommendation - 03/22/2014 6:46 PM

I've been happy with my Forster. It uses a stepped collet to hold the case so it fits most cartridges, and comes with the most common caliber pilots with additional ones costing a few dollars. Add the power adapter if you're going to be doing large batches, that way you can use a cordless/corded drill. With the power adapter and a Ryobi cordless 18v drill, I trim the .300 inch off of .223 cases to make 300 Blackouts. No problems, just makes a lot of shavings.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: case trimmer recommendation - 03/23/2014 12:10 AM

I like the LEE trimmer, but I use RCBS.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: case trimmer recommendation - 03/23/2014 6:11 AM

I've had great luck with my Lyman
Posted By: campbellkids

Re: case trimmer recommendation - 03/23/2014 1:17 PM

I have both types of RCBS, with collets and shell holders, i have some file type dies also. The best one is the lee cutter and guage trim. About seven bucks a caliber. Uses a cordless drill motor. I trimmed hundreds of 357's with one in an hour while watching a movie
Posted By: 7P's

Re: case trimmer recommendation - 03/23/2014 8:10 PM

If you're looking for one of the best, which will last a lifetime, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better than the Wilson/Sinclair trimmer but it is expensive - but next year you'll have forgotten the cost.

RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Forster are all great trimmers - I use the Hornady which is just as good as the others - maybe better???

Most, if not all, can be adapted to use a cordless drill for ease of operation.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: case trimmer recommendation - 03/23/2014 8:17 PM

Lee...
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: case trimmer recommendation - 03/24/2014 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Lee...

Yepper
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: case trimmer recommendation - 03/24/2014 6:53 AM

I used my Lee in my drill press. Very slick.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums