Handgunhunt

41 magnum hunting

Posted By: Brenden

41 magnum hunting - 07/15/2014 1:24 AM

Good evening all. I am in the process of acquiring a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 with a 6.5 inch barrel. This weapon will be used mostly for deer hunting and a few target sessions.

My question comes down to bullet choices-

I reload for everything, but have never tried lead bullets. What type of lead bullet do you all use for hunting? Are gas checks required at velocities from 1200-1400 fps? I have been looking at bullets in the 215 grain grain range and don't know weather to shoot a flat point design or a hollow point "Keith style" as some are labeled. What hardness do most of you like?

If nothing else I have located a few boxes of XTP's as well as 215 Sierra's. I've had good luck with sierra bullets in rifles but am unsure of how they are in a pistol.

I realize this is a lot of questions, and apologize for the above.

Thanks,
Brenden
Posted By: junebug

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/15/2014 4:02 AM

Welcome Brenden
A fine choice in gun and caliber. I like jacketed bullets for deer and the Xtp's should work fine,if you practice enough to put them in the right spot. Gas checks shouldn't be required depending on bullet hardness and barrel smoothness but all guns are different so a gas check is good insurance. [j.m.h.o.]You will get answers from people who like both styles ,jacketed and W.f.n.g.c.lead but most will agree, shoot what the gun likes ,practice practice practice, put them where they count,then post pictures.
The only dumb questions [not that you asked any] are the ones you don't ask.
Posted By: LABRAT

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/15/2014 6:15 AM

that package is one of my favorite whitetail pistols. i use the 210 xtp over the dead center charge of lil gun and have never looked for anything else out of that gun. if deer dont drop on the spot, they go about 20 feet and fall over dead. good luck whatever you decide to use.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/15/2014 7:23 PM

Brenden, I have found the 41 to be just as good on medium size game as the 44. I`ve loaded some Mt. Baldy 220gr plain base, Keith bullets at the 1100fps range for my 4" S&W. The most accurate jacketed is the XTP in my Freedom Arms M-83 and S&W 657.
Nosler 210gr jhp are also accurate. Shooting the XTP over a heavy charge in my FA`s gave me my smallest 3 shot group at 100 yards that I have ever fired from a revolver. I still have to load some of the Sierra 170 jhp`s. There`s not much I can tell you about 41 cast bullets except for the few I`ve used. Good luck and good huntin... PS- my 41 mag`s S&W 657- S&W 58- FA`s m-83 [img]
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/15/2014 9:03 PM

Soft bullets really excel on deer and the softest and most reliable deer bullet I've found is the Remington 210 gr. HP. It opens well, creates a lot of damage, and is accurate. Other harder bullets (XTPs, Gold Dots, cast SWCs) will work, but you need to put them in the shoulder bones so bone fragments will help create more damage.

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/15/2014 10:20 PM

Good information and I appreciate it. I've lusted after a 41 for some time. I had a 44 once, but didn't care for it as it was heavy and I prefer single action.

I've located some hollow point 215 grain Keith bullets with a very large metplate, I figure they would expand nicely. I'm just afraid to buy cast bullets without double checking cylinder and throat dimensions. I usually load very warm loads, and I know with that comes leading in the barrel with some cast bullets. I don't want a mess on my hands.

I figured the XTP would be hard. I don't mind a hard bullet as I always shoot for the shoulder or neck area.

I shot my first handgun deer last season with a 375 JDJ. That was a mess when hit through the shoulders!

Thanks,
Brenden
Posted By: SChunter

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/15/2014 11:23 PM

In addition to the XTP's, I'll cast a vote for the 210 Speer GDHP/Deep Curls. Deer and hogs hate 'em...

Posted By: 500WE

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/17/2014 12:37 AM

I've always liked the 210 gr. Sierra JHC, too.
Posted By: KRal

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/17/2014 1:11 AM

I've just acquired my first .41 mag. I've loaded some 180 Barnes xpb's at 1547 fps and they are extremely accurate. Just finished loading some 210 Hornady xtp's, but haven't shot any yet. I expect them to shoot well also. I'll be testing it out this fall.

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/17/2014 1:26 AM

It's official, bought my first 41 magnum tonight. It should be here in a few weeks.

Now to pick up brass,dies,and bullets. I'm very excited.

I hope to harvest a deer with it this fall. It is awful hard to put the JDJ down, but I think I can manage.

I'm going to purchase some cast bullets to play with, but will most likely use the XTP to hunt with as long as I get the accuracy I want.

Kral, what powder did you settle on for the barnes bullets? All I have thus far is 2400. That is subject to change if the local shop has stocked their shelves.

Thanks,
Brenden
Posted By: KRal

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/17/2014 1:29 AM

Brenden, I'm using H110 in all my loads.
Posted By: Gary

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/17/2014 2:20 AM

57 Classic
Posted By: sw282

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/17/2014 2:44 AM

Gary..What kind of mount is that on our 57?

thanks
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: 41 magnum hunting - 07/21/2014 2:57 AM

It all comes down to matching to gun to the game. The 41 is the equal of any of the critters taken by our members... As long as you put the bullet in the right place...
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums