Handgunhunt

A more efficient way to store brass

Posted By: Chance Weldon

A more efficient way to store brass - 11/18/2014 2:34 AM

My current system of brass storage isn't working out as well as I'd hoped. How do you separate your brass, and in what types of containers do you store them?
Posted By: KRal

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/18/2014 2:49 AM

Coffee cans.
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/18/2014 3:35 AM

Coffee cans here too.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/18/2014 5:08 PM

For me space is at a premium. I like zip loc bags, quarts or gallons. I just add a scrap of paper with what has been done to the brass/primer/trim etc.

Craig
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/18/2014 6:43 PM

Depends
38 Special, and 45acp, which I shoot a great deal of I store in clear plastic Gallon Jugs.
I sort out Remington 38 Special for moon clips, and keep it in zip loc bags.
40 S&W starts out in jugs, and gets emptyed into 5 gallon buckets.
480 and 44 Magnum stays in the plastic ammo boxes.

223 we have sorted and zip loced in milk crates
Most other rifle brass stays in the plastic ammo boxes.

Bob
Posted By: wheeler45

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/18/2014 7:24 PM

I use gallon milk jugs. The top is cut open leaving the handle intact.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/18/2014 9:48 PM

I like the various sized plastic tubs that whipped cream, sour cream and cottage cheese come in. They nest in each other if not real full so take up less space. Also quart and gallon storage bags.
Posted By: Randominator

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/18/2014 11:28 PM

I store my brass in those clear plastic totes Wal-Mart sells intended for shoes. They cost about .78 a piece. All fired brass gets dumped into the tote, and any cleaned/sized brass goes in a zip lock bag stored in the tote with a note describing the current stage of the brass.

Posted By: sc1911cwp

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/18/2014 11:37 PM

A five gallon bucket for 45ACP and coffee cans for the rest. After time it may tarnish, however I just retumble.
Posted By: bobhanson1

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/19/2014 1:03 AM

I use empty cat litter plastic containers (tidy cat) that have plastic screw on lids and a handy carry handle for the high volume stuff and ziplock bags for the lower volume stuff.

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/19/2014 1:15 AM

Does anyone separate brass based on the number of times the cases have been fired, or is that a bit much?
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/19/2014 1:55 AM

TN,

I do that only with bottle neck brass, mostly for rifle. Mostly because rifle brass is more prone to case separations over time. For me, straight wall cases give up the primer pocket or get a mouth split before they would ever separate.

Craig
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/19/2014 2:46 AM

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
Does anyone separate brass based on the number of times the cases have been fired, or is that a bit much?

With hunting stuff, I will start with a fixed group of 50 or 100 cases or so and then rotate those as long as they allow.

Re: A more efficient way to store brass - 11/20/2014 1:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Randominator
I store my brass in those clear plastic totes Wal-Mart sells intended for shoes. They cost about .78 a piece. All fired brass gets dumped into the tote, and any cleaned/sized brass goes in a zip lock bag stored in the tote with a note describing the current stage of the brass.

I like this idea. Seems like it would work well with the way my bench is set up.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums