Handgunhunt

Over thinking

Posted By: Raptortrapper

Over thinking - 08/13/2015 6:59 AM

I must be over thinking this stuff. Can't get my 500JRH to shoot for nothing. Was all over the paper the last few sessions. The trusty 460 was putting them right in there as usual. But I think with the 500JRH, I'm gonna lighten the charges a little bit, get back to a good group, then reload some H110 loads again.

I know the voices in my head aren't real, but sometimes they have GREAT ideas! Today wasn't one of them. I was messin with my grip, sight picture, stance, all of it. Then said to myself, "Self-- Just shut up and go home! Quit thinkin so much."

Ever have "one of those days" for a few days??
Posted By: FAH

Re: Over thinking - 08/13/2015 10:05 PM

Rap, Absolutely. Some days are diamond and some days are stone. I capitalize on the diamond days and pack it up and go home on the stone. Why waste ammo and create bad habits. Live to shoot another day, diamond day.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Over thinking - 08/13/2015 10:43 PM

Well, whatever it was, I got over it today. Shot the lighter loads at 35 yards, and had 3 touching, and the other 2 within 1.5" or so. Bumped up to the hot loads, and shot an acceptable group. Decided to do it again just to make sure I still could, and sure enough, shot just fine.

Bring on hunting season before I forget how I did this!!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Over thinking - 08/14/2015 3:46 AM

Looks like you just had one of those days.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: Over thinking - 08/17/2015 7:38 PM

Happens, I dare say anyone can maintain excellent accuracy every day, especially when iron sights are involved. Kind of like the old mounds commercial, "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't".
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Over thinking - 08/18/2015 12:21 PM

As my eyes age I am noticing more and more that I can't see what I used to. I will never forget my great open sighted epiphany. I used to take a open sighted 4 5/8" barreled .45 Blackhawk and shoot good enough at 100 yards to hunt rabbits. I went to the range one day and stuck one of the 3" target dots on a piece of paper and backed up to the 100 yard mark. I got ready to shoot only to discover that while I was walking back to the bench the dot had fell off the target so I started walking back toward the target. At about 50 yards I realized that the dot was still there.........
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums