Handgunhunt

My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions

Posted By: Badubet

My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions - 08/28/2015 10:13 PM

just picked it up a few hours ago and here are my 1st impressions. Fit and Finish is lacking
1. opened the box and the rear sight pin was out. I know there is an easy fix but one would think Ruger would figure it out by now.
2. Grip panels have gaps. Much bigger than my other Blackhawks.
3. Way too much slop of the cylinder on the base pin. Hopefully I can find an oversized base pin that the locking screw lines up with the hole in the barrel.

I'll see how it shoots next weekend, Off to the reloading bench.
Posted By: KRal

Re: My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions - 08/28/2015 10:20 PM

Hmmmm...
Posted By: Zee

Re: My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions - 08/28/2015 10:51 PM

Shame.

Mine has the same issue with the gap in the grip front. We're it not for the fact I really like their color and figure, I'd change them out.

My rear sight was loose as well out of the box. Easy fix.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions - 08/28/2015 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Zee
Shame.

Mine has the same issue with the gap in the grip front. We're it not for the fact I really like their color and figure, I'd change them out.

My rear sight was loose as well out of the box. Easy fix.

So how does it shoot????????????

We all know that fit and finish aren't necessarily the best with Rugers, but you don't really pay for that do you? It's a good thing they aren't very expensive!

I want to know how it shoot! That is the true test IMHO. My .454 is loose as well -- it's no FA, but I can tell you that mine will shoot right alongside my FA 83 in .454.

I know the grip fitment rather sucks, but.......

How does it shoot?????

I didn't mean for that to sound combative, but see how it shoots first. Like I said, mine is as loose as a goose, but it shoots really well, and yeah, the grip fitment is bad -- just like some other Rugers that I have, but it's really cool as it is a five-shot!

Re: My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions - 08/28/2015 11:49 PM

I agree Max. I'll wait to see how it shoots. I am excited that Ruger has listened and made a gun for us. With that being said. Don't assume because with it's $980 retail price tag we can't expect to get a gun that the grips actually fit and the same sight they have being putting on this model gun for 30 years falls off in the box. I don't expect the fit and finish to be the same that we get from a custom. But I do expect some pride in manufacturing. I don't compare a custom to this gun and accept to get less because it cost less. I prefer the standard gun to be the 'standard' and expect more from the custom. Just my .02?

Re: My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions - 08/28/2015 11:54 PM

I posted my Range Report on my other thread. I'm very pleased with my gun. All I plan to change is the front sight and add a Wilson Custon Spring Kit.

Re: My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions - 08/29/2015 12:04 AM

Nice report Zee. Hope mine shoots as well. Those grips look really good too!

Re: My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions - 08/29/2015 12:42 AM

Thanks. Hope yours shoots as well.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions - 08/29/2015 3:08 AM

I understand the how does it shoot thing. But you would expect a little more precision out of a special run gun that cost $800.

My S&W have reletively good precision- you can't shoot bad ass hand loads out of them but they are way more Lexus than they are Ford.

These special run Rugers should be first class if for no other reason than that the folks buying them are the real handgun oficanatios (sp)

I am buying a 480 version -- my guess is I will have to do cylinders with the jig bore, base pin, springs and a pawl.

The question is why-- after all the mods I could have bought a nice Fredom Arms

Take some pride in the special stuff you build.

Re: My new Ruger 454 Casull is home- 1st impressions - 08/29/2015 3:31 AM

And I do agree with the above as well.

All my "factory" standard run SBHs have better fit/finish than this one. But, while its not "finished" as my others...........it's also the only way I'm getting the chambering I want in the gun I want it in.

Simple as that.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums