Handgunhunt

Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!!

Posted By: Raptortrapper

Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 1:53 AM

It is FINALLY HERE!!! My 45 Colt came back from Jack Huntington today. It started out as a 44mag, but came back a full blown man!

Rebuild was done on a Ruger Super Blackhawk. 5 shot custom cylinder with no fluting. 11 degree forcing cone. Jeweled hammer, Belt Mountain base pin, Jack's extended grip frame with custom fit satin finished ironwood grips, Freedom Arms brass bead front sight, Bowen target blade rear sight, deep dish crown, 5.5" octagon barrel.

Just got back from the range, and man, couldn't be happier!!! Shot some light factory loads through it just to make sure everything is good, and then went after it. Shot my favorite load of 23.3gr H110 under a 335gr hardcast, and apparently, this revolver likes that load too! Shot a 1.5" group at 30 yards, which is outstanding for me.

I don't have any "before" pictures anymore, but here it is now. I don't know how to take very good pictures, so here is the best I can do:
Posted By: KRal

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 2:01 AM

Very nice!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 2:13 AM

Sweet piece, Paul. Love the long cylinder!
Posted By: Zee

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 3:55 AM

Beautiful!
Posted By: JW Gross

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 5:06 AM

Very nice.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 5:22 AM

Beautiful work!
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 8:58 AM

Beautiful gun and it sounds like it shoots as good as it looks which is even more important!
Posted By: Coogs

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 10:58 AM

Jack does some darn nice work! Coogs.
Posted By: dhom

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 11:23 AM

That revolver is definitely one to be proud of!!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 11:32 AM

That's not a rebuild, that's a full customization!

Very nice, Paul! Congrats!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 12:10 PM

Looks good!

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 12:21 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah I've been anxious to get this one back. I sold a Bisley Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 45 Colt, and a Colt Anaconda in 45 Colt cause they wouldn't shoot as well as I thought they should. Won't be having that problem with this gun! Glad I sent those other two on down the road to pay for this one. This one won't be leaving anytime soon, if ever.

45 Colt is my favorite because I can load it light enough that my wife can shoot it even with very weak wrists, or I can load it hot enough to hunt Godzilla. If, for some unknown reason in a fictitious world, I had to sell every gun I own, the 45 Colt would be the last to go because it can do anything.

My deer tag is in October. This oughta be fun!!!
Posted By: Arokcrwlr

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 1:00 PM

Congrats! That is very nice. I have a few of Jack's builds and I am pleased with them all. That grip frame is the bee's knees...
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 1:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Arokcrwlr
Congrats! That is very nice. I have a few of Jack's builds and I am pleased with them all. That grip frame is the bee's knees...

Amen brother!
Posted By: karl

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 2:09 PM

Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
45 Colt is my favorite because I can load it light enough that my wife can shoot it even with very weak wrists, or I can load it hot enough to hunt Godzilla.

Please forgive my ignorant question, but can you not also load other calibers light in a similar fashion? Do you run into problems or special considerations?

PS Very nice combination! Looks great!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 4:35 PM

She`s a beauty.....
Posted By: ratgunner

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 5:11 PM

Nice. I really like the sights. Like to see a shooters view of them.
Posted By: Jim The Brit

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 6:24 PM

Simply stunning.Classic looking piece in a classic chambering. absolutely zero envy from this side of the pond
;\)

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/18/2015 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: karl
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
45 Colt is my favorite because I can load it light enough that my wife can shoot it even with very weak wrists, or I can load it hot enough to hunt Godzilla.

Please forgive my ignorant question, but can you not also load other calibers light in a similar fashion? Do you run into problems or special considerations?

PS Very nice combination! Looks great!

You can certainly download other calibers in the same fashion, but not with such a noticeable difference. A "light" 500JRH is still WAY to much recoil for my wife to shoot. The 500JRH is the only other revolver I have at the moment. If I had a 357 magnum, or a 44 magnum, then yeah, the same comparison could certainly be made.

Also, the 460 I have is on a TC platform, and it can be loaded down to 45 colt levels, but what's the point of that??!!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/19/2015 12:30 PM

RT - another beautiful revolver from JRH!

Congratulations on the new baby
Posted By: thadf

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/19/2015 6:11 PM

that's magnificent. I'm very envious
Posted By: Spencer

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/19/2015 8:05 PM

looks awesome!!!!! congrats on a great custom

Re: Second Ruger Rebuild is COMPLETE!!! - 09/19/2015 9:18 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I'm pretty proud of this one, and very excited to get it going. It will most likely be my go-to gun from here on out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Brute Squad. But the 45 Colt has been my favorite caliber for some time now. After I bought my first revolver, a 460 Smith and Wesson, I "discovered" the 45 Colt. Then while reading Max's book, I came across the chapter talking about the 45 Colt. That chapter REALLY got my interest going. I started researching it even more, and because of my hunting situations, I have fallen in love with it. It is absolutely perfect for the type of hunting I do.

The Brute Squad will be my bear, elk, moose gun. But this 45 Colt will be my go-to gun for about everything else bigger than a jackrabbit.

That brings me to my next custom. Gonna do a 327 Federal when I can find another donor frame. Just something about the Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter frame that I really like. I know its overkill for 327 Federal, but I figure that way, all my guns will feel very close to the same, and the only difference will be the caliber. I'll have small game covered with the 327 Federal. Coyote / deer / hog sized game with the 45 Colt. Anything larger will be the 500JRH. Anything past 100 yards will be the scoped 460 on the TC pro hunter frame.

That's my CURRENT plan anyway. See how long it lasts....
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums