Handgunhunt

What else do i need to start?

Posted By: Sam86

What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 3:04 PM

Here is what I found. There was another loader in all my dad?s old stuff, a Lee load master? had about 500 something pieces to it and looked like way to much jazz to me...

So, with what I got in the picture, what else do I need to start reloading? I take it I only need a 3 piece die set with a shell holder, brass and bullets correct? Now if I get the carbide dies I won?t need to load the casing right? Will any Lee die set work with this press?

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 3:05 PM

There is a ram primer and 700 larger pistol primers. Bother powders are half full

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 3:20 PM

Found this die set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/875273/...=ProductFinding
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 3:37 PM

Do you have a scale to weigh the powder?

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 3:48 PM

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
Do you have a scale to weigh the powder?

Yes i do, been using a Lee powder scale for archery stuff

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 3:54 PM

Good. Those dies should work with that press.

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 3:57 PM

ok cool so just bullet and brass then?
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 4:05 PM

You may want to look for some H110, or 296, or lil gun if you want to really step on it. How old is that powder? If it's been kept cool and dry it should be okay.

There should be a couple metal L shaped pieces with a cup (one smaller and one larger) and spring. They are used to seat the primers in the case using that press.

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 4:48 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
You may want to look for some H110, or 296, or lil gun if you want to really step on it. How old is that powder? If it's been kept cool and dry it should be okay.

There should be a couple metal L shaped pieces with a cup (one smaller and one larger) and spring. They are used to seat the primers in the case using that press.

I think the Unique is about 7 years old and who knows on the 231, maybe 15-25... It's been in my basement next to a gun safe and a dehumidifier for the last 6 years, I know my dad wouldn?t have stored it poorly, I think I?m just going to set the 231 to the side and use the Unique and when that?s gone play around we some different powders. I figure I have somewhere around 300 ish charges of Unique.

So whats a load for 240-255 grain SWC using Unique? 10.0-12.0 grains?

I will have to look around for the L shape pieces

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 5:00 PM

Quote:

If you cant't find them let me know. I have a spare one of each. You will need the large primer seater for the 44 of course.

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 5:02 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:

If you cant't find them let me know. I have a spare one of each. You will need the large primer seater for the 44 of course.

Ok will do thank you.

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 5:40 PM

Yeah, if you can find some H110 or W296, definitely buy a pound or two.

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 6:09 PM

Quote:

This is what it looks like.
Posted By: sw282

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/28/2015 6:10 PM

Sam-- You are going to need a good loading Manual.. l might also suggest a Powder measure too... Not ABSOLITELY necessary,,but it will simplify things and make it a LOT easier to load your cases...lf you load more than a couple boxes of ammo you WILL buy one...And it will last you a lifetime.. Start simple.. You have enough powder to load 500 44 Mag rounds.. Good target and practice loads too. You might want look into getting a Lee hand primer too. They are simple to use ad help you FEEL the primers better when installing them...
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/29/2015 12:32 AM

Sam, I started reloading on a press just like that one over 25 years ago. It's a great press!

Rod, I'm confused by the L-shaped pieces that you are referring to? Is that a priming arm that swings in to prime on the downstroke similar to the system that RCBS uses on their Rockchucker press? If I remember correctly, Sam said that he had found the the Ram priming system that came with the press which primes on the upstroke.

I much prefer the ram priming system anyway since it gives a more "positive" feel. I use the Lee ram priming system on my RCBS press.

It looks like you are off to a good start, welcome to the addiction!

Darrell
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/29/2015 12:41 AM

I second the H110 / W296 powders. Can't get enough of those. I love those hot loads, and they sure do shoot well. H110 and Titegroup are all I shoot in my revolvers. If it aint broke....

I use the hornady loading manual, and cross it with hodgdon website load data.

Welcome to a hobby that makes another hobby / way of life that much more fun!

Re: What else do i need to start? - 09/29/2015 1:22 AM

Quote:
Rod, I'm confused by the L-shaped pieces that you are referring to? Is that a priming arm that swings in to prime on the downstroke similar to the system that RCBS uses on their Rockchucker press? If I remember correctly, Sam said that he had found the the Ram priming system that came with the press which primes on the upstroke.

I have a couple Lee single stage presses and they use the primer arm I have pictured. Primes on the upstroke.
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: What else do i need to start? - 10/09/2015 4:21 PM

Ok, thanks Rod. I haven't seen that Lee priming system before; learn something new every day. Regardless of whether or not it will work on the OP's press it is very generous of you to offer to help a new reloader. Good form sir!

Re: What else do i need to start? - 10/09/2015 5:40 PM

I'm not 100% certain that his press operates the same way mine do, since you posted that particular photo, who knows could be from before my time or a model I haven't seen. A picture of the right side of his press might be enlightening, and a shot looking down at the ram from each side. In any event, if he can use it I will be happy to part with it.

Re: What else do i need to start? - 10/13/2015 7:19 PM

Ok I just put a order into grafs.

Lee 3 piece carbide die

1# of W296 and I have a 1/2# of unique at home

100 starline 44 mag brass

100 255 grain LBT WFNPB

Now what lol, thinking I want to push it 1,200 - 1,400 fps. whats a good load?
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums