Handgunhunt

Loose ejector rod housing on SBH Hunter

Posted By: minnesotahunter

Loose ejector rod housing on SBH Hunter - 10/16/2015 2:19 AM

Hey guys,

I just noticed that my ejector rod housing is just a tiny bit loose. The little screw on the end seems to be bottomed out. I loosened it and re-tightened it and it stops but the housing still wiggles. Is this normal? I just noticed it for the first time. Factory gun.

Thanks
Posted By: mike.44

Re: Loose ejector rod housing on SBH Hunter - 10/16/2015 2:57 AM

No, that is not normal. I would:
1) Take the screw out and clean the hole really good with a Q-tip and maybe use a toothpick to see if any gunk got on there and check it again.
2) If it is still loose....."I" would simply take a couple strokes with a file to the tip of the screw and try again.

You said it was just a little bit wiggly. Machining is machining and a few thousandths of an inch will happen every now and then. Doesn't sound serious but the play should not be there. This is much simpler fix that going through the hassle of returning it to the factory.

I would also call Ruger. They have been great to deal with in my experience. They will probably send you another screw. Just have your ser# handy.

Re: Loose ejector rod housing on SBH Hunter - 10/16/2015 3:34 AM

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Loose ejector rod housing on SBH Hunter - 10/16/2015 11:23 AM

Red Loctite will also be your friend.
Posted By: freedom475

Re: Loose ejector rod housing on SBH Hunter - 10/16/2015 3:12 PM

Yes this is common!..especially with the aluminium ejector rod housings....the hole in the housing will get elongated so NO amount of screw tightening will solve the problem.

Yes you may have a shallow hole or crud in there or even a bent housing screw....but odds are that your ERH hole is getting enlarged from use and the occasional release of the ejector slamming full force forward into the housing during ejection of the cases.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Loose ejector rod housing on SBH Hunter - 10/17/2015 12:51 AM

A file, degrease and some loctite. Took care of mine when it did the same thing.

Re: Loose ejector rod housing on SBH Hunter - 10/17/2015 10:53 PM

Thanks. I'll have to find my file
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums