Handgunhunt

Freedom Arms 83 Mishap

Posted By: Gregg Richter

Freedom Arms 83 Mishap - 11/04/2015 2:08 AM

Due to a long story that I will not go into here, this season I am hunting deer and cow elk with my FA .454 Casull instead of my Custom .475 Linebaugh.

Sighting the .454 in a few days ago, with heavy 300 grain Nosler Partition loads
;\)

the screw that holds on the ejector rod housing sheared off. I was able to locate housing and rod but the spring vanished (imagine that)

So I am now hunting with a 5 shot revolver (that is fine!)
\:\)

that I will not be able to reload very fast

but all you need is one shot and the other four are for gun balance, right?

\:D
Posted By: sw282

Re: Freedom Arms 83 Mishap - 11/04/2015 9:44 AM

That happened to my Ruger Black Hawk once...Just carry along an unsharpened pencil to push out the empties.. When the season is over send the gun back to FA for repair
Posted By: 454 Casull

Re: Freedom Arms 83 Mishap - 11/04/2015 5:51 PM

Wow! I have had mine loosen up, I always check before I start. Have never heard that previously but it only goes to show how stout the recoil is from this cartridge.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Freedom Arms 83 Mishap - 11/04/2015 9:49 PM

Lost the same screw on a hunt....
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Freedom Arms 83 Mishap - 11/05/2015 1:28 AM

Been there!!!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Freedom Arms 83 Mishap - 11/05/2015 2:17 AM

Originally Posted By: sw282
That happened to my Ruger Black Hawk once...Just carry along an unsharpened pencil to push out the empties.. When the season is over send the gun back to FA for repair

That is my plan.

As far as the pencil, good idea but to set the record straight, a regular pencil is too big (just by a smidgen) to fit in the ejector housing hole of my 83. So I just use the rod.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Freedom Arms 83 Mishap - 11/05/2015 6:20 AM

This happened on my BFR in .454 Casull.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Freedom Arms 83 Mishap - 11/12/2015 4:07 AM

Interesting. I have 4 fa 454's, 3 ruger 454's and have had two bfr 454's. Never had anything shear off. Loosen yes but once i apply loctite not so much. I have close to 50k rounds thru all the guns and have yet to have an issue other than two broken firing pins. Trying to debate whether i trust the rugers more since they have a more robust pin but arent able to be changed out in 30 seconds like the fa guns.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Freedom Arms 83 Mishap - 11/13/2015 11:48 AM

i wonder how many of us has had this happen. never knew of this to happen till it did on mine. thought i was the only one... not so fast ive been told of this several times now. took mine to a fellow i know and it took him the better part of an afternoon to fix while we drank a pot of coffee, told lies, shot other guns, ...
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums