Handgunhunt

Plinking loads for the 454

Posted By: Brenden

Plinking loads for the 454 - 02/11/2016 2:25 AM

I'm looking for some light loads for the 454 Casull. I've got some coated 300 grain slugs on the way, and I'd like to plink without pain. I don't really want to use 45 colt brass, nothing against it, just not for me.

I've got Unique, titegroup, and bullseye at my disposal. I've seen elsewhere that 9 grains of titegroup will work, as well as 10.5 grains of Unique.

Anyone have any experience with something along these lines?
Posted By: Mech 8

Re: Plinking loads for the 454 - 02/11/2016 3:07 AM

I'm using 300gr FP from Laser Cast, it's a truncated cone flat point. I load them in Casull brass with Fed 205 primers and 9.0 grains Unique. They shoot very well from my 4 3/4 inch barreled FA. I think velocity is in the 900 fps range.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Plinking loads for the 454 - 02/11/2016 6:40 PM

I do not have my data in front of me, but I too have had OK luck with tightgroup for this combination.

I say OK, as the pressure is fine ( I prefer HS-6 for much above 900 fps), but never could get stunning accuracy. From my research it appears it could be an issue with my FA's slower twist. Could also be related to the bullets being a little too hard (Cast Performance and Laser Cast) for this lower pressure, but I was seeing poor accuracy, and not leading. And 360's were much worse, tending to point to insufficient stabilization. Mech is not reporting this, so it could be that Unique might be better than TG?

Not sure what make of gun you are using, but just in case it is a FA. And Hornady 250's were superb accuracy with TG and the reduced pressure.

Craig
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Plinking loads for the 454 - 02/11/2016 11:37 PM

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I'll try out some Unique, and possibly see what all the stores have on the shelf in way of powder. It's still tough to find a local store around here with pistol powders.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Plinking loads for the 454 - 02/14/2016 1:48 AM

I started testing Unique in my 460 before season. Emphasis on started. However, early results seemed promising.

I hear what your saying about just trying to find powder. It's getting easier, though, especially compared to this time three years ago.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums