Handgunhunt

My .35 Remington is finally performing.

Posted By: Zee

My .35 Remington is finally performing. - 02/21/2016 2:39 AM

I've been messing with this Match Grade Machine barrel in .35 Remington for QUITE some time. I've been using 200gr RN factory ammo from PMC that was from the early 90s and the same from Remington. No matter what I tried, the accuracy was unacceptable and the PMC ammo was blowing the action open.

I even sent the barrel back to MGM to have the throat lengthened as about every other PMC round would hit the lands. Even after lengthening the chamber, I'd get a blown action and a literal ring of copper fall out of chamber after firing a few rounds. This.......was unacceptable results.

I really wanted the PMC ammo to work as I had 90 rounds of it. No dice.

I finally found some Hornady brass and made up some test loads utilizing H4198 and the Hornady 180gr XTP bullet. Hit the range this afternoon........

......and got the results I've been waiting over a year for!!!!

That's a .285" group at almost 2,000 fps!!!! And the action didn't blow open!!!!

Hornady states the velocity threshold of this bullet as being 900-1,700 fps. Obviously pushing it a little faster than that. But, I've seen the XTP perform WAY outside it's threshold on several occasions. So, I'm not worried.

I am however, considerably happy to finally be getting the results I desired from this old cartridge. Yet another .35cal in the fold. Lord, I love that caliber.
Posted By: Brenden

Re: My .35 Remington is finally performing. - 02/21/2016 5:04 PM

Glad to see the .35 is performing well. I've often considered that round, I believe it to be an excellent cartridge for large game.

I've pondered the .358 Winchester as well. I really don't believe a person can go wrong with a .35 caliber.

I'm anxious to see the performance of your set up.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: My .35 Remington is finally performing. - 02/21/2016 5:35 PM

H322 with the 180gr hornady ssp is awesome in mine. 2150-2180fps.

Is that a riflescope?😮 Ive used em on rimfire and .223 but no way on a 35! Lol
Things change in that extra 200fps though. Recoil becomes noticably heavier.

Re: My .35 Remington is finally performing. - 02/21/2016 5:38 PM

I have a .358 Winchester rifle as well and it works beautifully on game with the 200gr FTX.

MGM is making me a 12" Encore barrel in .358 Winchester as we speak. Going to run 200gr Hornady RN in that one.

Re: My .35 Remington is finally performing. - 02/21/2016 5:42 PM

Originally Posted By: KYODE
H322 with the 180gr hornady ssp is awesome in mine. 2150-2180fps.

Is that a riflescope?😮 Ive used em on rimfire and .223 but no way on a 35! Lol
Things change in that extra 200fps though. Recoil becomes noticably heavier.

Yes, it's a 6x Leupold rifle scope. I've run it with the 200gr factory ammo as well. Recoil is not an issue because I'm not sucking up to the scope and getting a full sight picture. I stay back a little shorter than pistol scope distance and aim through the "doughnut".

If I used a full sight picture, it would clock me.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: My .35 Remington is finally performing. - 02/21/2016 7:02 PM

It's hard to beat Hornady bullets, especially the XTP.

Re: My .35 Remington is finally performing. - 02/21/2016 7:40 PM

I've had such good luck in both accuracy and terminal performance with the XTP in .358/.430/.452 calibers, there is absolutely zero reason to use any other jacketed pistol bullet in my book. If I need more penetration, I'll use cast.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: My .35 Remington is finally performing. - 02/21/2016 11:35 PM

Glad you finally got it rolling to your exacting expectations
;\)
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums